Newmarket Gallops

Home Forums Horse Racing Newmarket Gallops

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Stormont 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2313

Folks,

I know this has been covered before but I didn’t realise Corm had actually got rid of all of the old threads. I shall be staying in Newmarket on friday and would like to take in some of the gallops on the saturday morning. Just wondering if someone could tell me the best place to watch from and also what time they normally stop exercising (I’ll be having a few beers so the later I can get up the better!)

Ta<br>Nick

(Edited by Aragorn at 4:17 pm on Mar. 5, 2007)

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 898

Warren Hill is probably best and very easy to access.  Just walk past Heath House (tip your cap if Sir Mark is around ) and carry on up the road.  Gallops on both sides of the road.

racinggirluk
    racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 264

Also has its a saturday, it will be a work morning, head up the Bury Road and on the left side of the road you will have the limekilns and Al Bathartri (sp) and you might just spot the boys in blue here…..Also with the flat season just ahead, racecourse side will be busy…..

Anymore help just shout, lived and worked there for 10 years + so know the place well

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

Current gallops open are Racecourse side (other side of the Rowley Mile racecourse) and Warren Hill – as well as Al Bahathri.  Limekilns most definitely not open – too much rain!

Clive Brittain is usually on the gallops at about 4am so I guess you will miss him!  If you want to see horses en masse, then I would advise Warren Hill/Long Hill or the Al Bahathri which is a bit further away.  THere will be plenty of horses around from about 7am onwards although things will go quieter around 9ish (breakfast) and after about 12.  Gallops close 1pm for all-weather and 4pm for grass (but you are unlikely to get anyone one that late!)

You are more than welcome to stop by and visit Tajjree if you get a moment although PM me and I can sort a time.

Hope you have a good time though!

Malc Smith
    • Total Posts 67

Who organises and runs the gallops?  In other words, how does it all operate?

richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

A good place to start is the Severals, nearby the clock tower at the top of the High Street on the Bury road. Get there about 7AM, like the equine equivalent of Piccadilly  Circus, strings walking round there to loosen up before  going off to the gallops on that side of town. Easy walk up to Warren hill from there.

Malc, the gallops are owned and operated by Jockey Club Estates and they do a super job in keeping them in order. All kinds of gallops, turf, a/w, watered turf, uphill, flat and their jumps  facilities are very well maintained, coincidentally pretty much on the old jumps course. Owners pay a monthly fee for the use of any of the gallops facilities, currently £87.50 per month.

richard

richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

I should have said £87.50 per month per horse.

richard

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 362

Nick, if you want see owt worthwhile you’ll have to be up 6am and on the gallops for 7am realistically.

Others will be better versed than I but there won’t be much strong work going on with the better horses yet.

Oh, and unless you are going with a trainers assistant etc you’ll have no idea of any of the horses.  Ask the work watchers if you want a laugh…

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

I haven’t heard that Godolphin are back yet – they usually leave it till just before the Guineas to reappear.

The best person to have stood with is Henry Cecil but with his illness, I’m not sure if he is still riding out.

But regardless of that – you will still get some idea of the vast amount of horses out at any time and what they actually do.  

racinggirluk
    racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 264

I know they arn’t back yet….mistake by me….I thought it was April already lol!! I think i need a holiday!!!

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2313

Thanks for your responses and and info everyone.. Reall helpful.

Cheers<br>Nick

Stormont
    • Total Posts 352

Godolphin still have plenty of horses in Newmarket, although they won’t be doing much at this time and will be using their private training facilities i would have thought.

Warren Hill is the easiest place to walk to from the town and gets the most people viewing the morning exercises.

As has been said before you really need to get up there before 8 at the latest to see most of it.

You can head up towards the Rowley Mile to see the gallops at racecourse side.

Or up the Bury Road and taking either route when the road forks, although there is more space to park if you take the right hand road from the town towards Kentford.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.