The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

New Role For Silvoir

Home Forums Horse Racing New Role For Silvoir

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4608

So Paul Struthers moves from defending the whip changes to fighting them as he is appointed the new PJA chief.

Gamekeeper turned poacher.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

What a joke.

When he supposedly supported the rules was he just telling porkies to keep his job? How can anyone take him seriously? Still as long as he gets a nice fat cheque I am sure he couldn’t care less.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1215

"He creates the whip rules with the BHA, then gets paid to oppose them with the PJA. Talk about lunatics running the asylum!
    It would be laughable if it wasn’t our sport suffering".

It’s hard to disagree with the above post taken off the RP website.
    Unless he still supports the BHA whip rules fully as he did when at the BHA how will you be able to believe anything he says?

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5111

I quite like Paul Struthers when assuming his Silvoir alias on here; but professionally his career seems to have been in Public Relations and Communications. Therefore his personal views on the whip or any subject is of no consequence

His remit will be to act as a smooth-flowing ripple-free perhaps slightly oily conduit from private to public in order to ‘fairly represent the views of his members’

I was rather hoping he’d tell a few tales from the archives locked in BHA Towers while between jobs, but with a young child and three million unemployed who can really blame him for remaining schtum in the hope of finding another ‘position’ in an arena he obviously loves

ZarkavaZarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4708

What a joke.

When he supposedly supported the rules was he just telling porkies to keep his job? How can anyone take him seriously? Still as long as he gets a nice fat cheque I am sure he couldn’t care less.

Wholeheartedly agree.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

24/01/2012 16:33

Statement from Paul Bittar following news of the appointment of Paul Struthers as Chief Executive of the PJA

Paul Bittar, Chief Executive of the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), said:

β€œOn behalf of BHA I would like to pass on my congratulations to Paul following his appointment as Chief Executive of the Professional Jockeys Association (PJA).

"The relationship between the regulator and jockeys is obviously an important one, covering a broad range of issues, and we are looking forward to working with the PJA under Paul’s leadership.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Kevin Darley for the work he has done for the PJA and we wish him all the best for the future. He remains one of the BHA’s Jockey Coaches and so young riders will continue to receive the benefit of his experience and advice."

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

Just because he worked with the BHA doesn’t mean that’s where his heart lay

Not the kind of people you can displease if they are your employer are they?
    I reckon it must be a bit like being in the SS during WWII where you carry out orders no matter how wrong you think they are.

No way would the jockeys want him there if behind the smokescreen his sympathies didn’t lie on their side of the fence. Unless you believe the jockeys are all brain dead and don’t know what the guy is really like.

He has inside knowledge of how the the BHA really think. He’s on the side of the jockeys and if anyone can sort this mess out it’s him

I could think of no one better man to fight for the jockeys.

Shocking posts earlierS tivi, [remainder deleted]

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Just because he worked with the BHA doesn’t mean that’s where his heart lay

Not the kind of people you can displease if they are your employer are they?
    I reckon it must be a bit like being in the SS during WWII where you carry out orders no matter how wrong you think they are.

No way would the jockeys want him there if behind the smokescreen his sympathies didn’t lie on their side of the fence. Unless you believe the jockeys are all brain dead and don’t know what the guy is really like.

He has inside knowledge of how the the BHA really think. He’s on the side of the jockeys and if anyone can sort this mess out it’s him

I could think of no one better man to fight for the jockeys.

Shocking posts earlierS tivi, just pure ill thought out garbage if you even thought at all before posting from a nasty sweetie wife and you stop egging him on Z

Spot on with every word.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

deleted

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

I’d like to wish Paul well. In his time at the BHA he was open and engaging and IMO helped bridge the gap/gulf that lay between the BHA and the it’s main stakeholder – the punter and/or racegoer.

But I hope he doesn’t do TOO well and get those whip rules relaxed. :wink:

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Elements of earlier posts deleted – I said a few weeks back that insults towards other members would not be tolerated – and they won’t.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Fair Play to Paul Struthers,i often felt he was uncomfortable with his role at the BHA when the latest Whip rules were introduced and he confirmed on many ocassions that ‘The BHA’s views weren’t nescessarily his own’.The guy can talk and hold his own under pressure,he knew he’d get stick for even applying so again it shows he should handle the role,i do like the ‘Gamekeeper turned Poacher’ quote though! :lol:

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

i often felt he was uncomfortable with his role at the BHA when the latest Whip rules were introduced and he confirmed on many ocassions that ‘The BHA’s views weren’t nescessarily his own’.

You’ve got it the wrong way round, his views on twitter were his own and not those of the BHA is what he said.
    I’ve never heard him disagree in anyway with the BHA’s stance on the whip rules and have in fact heard or seen him him defend them on many occasions.
    Maybe he can put us right if that is incorrect.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Wait a minute guys – just because he is now going to PJA doesn’t mean he is going to change his views re-whip.

But he will have to act in what he feels are the best interests of his employers, whether that conflicts with his own view or not.

That’s the way of the world – I’m sure most of us have to compromise in some way at work. And I’m sure those in PR have to do so more often than most.

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4809

Good luck to Silvoir in his new role. This whip debate is only going to get more controversial. Hopefully he’ll continue to contribute here when he gets the chance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.