The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

new member says hi

Home Forums Lounge new member says hi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    byanose
    • Total Posts 9

I have been following European racing (meaning Ireland, England, & France) this year and have enjoyed reading this forum. I’m not an expert handicapper by any means, definitely a novice when it comes to Europeans, but I love getting to see the Euros who come to the Breeders’ Cup. Can’t wait to see "Gorgeous George" in the flesh! (Though I doubt he’ll take any of my money.) Anyway, thanks in advance for any insights — I’m sure I will post a few questions before BC Day.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8968

Welcome to the Forum byanose. It’s great to have some input from the States, particularly as we approach the annual jamboree that is the Breeders Cup.

We’ll all be rooting for George (well most of us) although I think most of us appreciate it’s a very, very tough ask. What is the feeling among the US racing community regarding George Washington?

Also, what’s your take on the top American stars the Europeans will be up against?<br>

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I’ll second what Cormack says, welcome Byanose, cross atlantic corresponadance can only be useful, especially if it turns out like last year again, and we have a terrible time.

Is there much talk of Scat Daddy for the juvenile or is he likely to be an outsider?

byanose
    • Total Posts 9

Opinion on GW is pretty much the same here — it seems alot to ask a 3yo, no matter how talented, to ship overseas, get dirt in his face the first time, on a course with probably tighter turns than he’s seen, on a big crowd day like BC Day. But we’re glad he’s coming! <br>Arguments center around<br>1) Is Lava Man incapable of winning outside California, or did he have excuses for those losses last year?<br>2) Does it matter that Bernardini has never been challenged, never had to go eyeball-to-eyeball?<br>I liked Invasor all year, but he had to miss the JCGC so that’s a negative. <br>Perfect Drift is one old campaigner who could hit the board. This will be his 5th Breeders’ Cup, his previous finishes were 12th, 6th, 4th, 3rd… so his fans are expecting an even better finish this year! He’s a closer and the stretch at Churchill Downs is a long one so maybe…!

In the Mile, Aragorn and Gorella (former French filly) are our top two. She is something special, I was at the Beverly D and she had the crowd gasping. Aragorn can race close to the pace and still accelerate quickly late. He probably wouldn’t like anything softer than good going.

Showing Up certainly deserves scrutiny- but whether he goes in the Mile or the Turf or doesn’t go at all is still up in the air. The Tin Man is out- I’m sorry about that, though I didn’t think he’d win. Cacique (former French horse, full brother to Banks Hill and Intercontinental) and English Channel are the big two-  T.H. Approval is probably a notch below but shouldn’t be overlooked.

In the Filly & Mare Turf, Wait a While is 4 for 4 since switching to Turf this summer. Like Aragorn, she can be close to the pace and still show a turn of foot late. I would have loved to see her, Gorella, and Ouija Board all flying late down the stretch… Film Maker and Vacare are two others with possibilities but I am in awe of Ouija Board, I will be rooting for her, with Wait A While a neck behind.  What other Europeans are coming for this one?  So disappointing that Alexandrova and Pride won’t be.

http://www.ntra.com is a good site to check out– you can see videos (free) or at least highlight videos of most of the preps. Check out the Beverly D! The second-most exciting race I saw this year, the first being the Nassau Stakes (we got it on TV).  <br>

byanose
    • Total Posts 9

Hello Bulwark- <br>I would expect Scat Daddy to be one of the favorites, along with Circular Quay and Principle Secret. He’s my favorite at this point.  Nobiz Like Shobiz is not going. Great Hunter won his last, but it was on polytrack which is throwing a wrench into everyone’s handicapping. However, his trainer won last year’s Juvenile. I am intrigued by Stormello too.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Lets hope something else gets hyped and he starts at a nice price!:)

byanose
    • Total Posts 9

Sadly for us, he’s trained by Todd Pletcher, but the good news is, he was a bit ignored after winning his last, when everyone was raving about Nobiz Like Shobiz. Also, his two before that were much better than they looked on paper.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Hi byanose and welcome.

I quite fancy Gorella for the mile; trackcraft, rapid improvement, top recent form and track master Lepareux in her favour.

What’s the word over there?

byanose
    • Total Posts 9

Oh, I think she’ll be favored, or perhaps co-favored, depending on which Europeans come for the Mile. She has all the pluses you mentioned, and she is game. She was third last year, by only 3/4L. I should say though that her trainer (Patrick Biancone) has not absolutely committed her to the Mile. He says he’s leaning that way but "why decide now when I can wait till next week?"

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

I think she faces an ultra tough ask against Ouija Board, byanose, should PLB decide on the Fillies and Mares.  

Thanks for the info.;) Encouraging.

<br>

byanose
    • Total Posts 9

Max, I agree with you there.  On the basis of the Beverly D at 1 3/16, he might have gone to the F&M Turf if it were 1 1/4.  I really like Gorella, so I am glad she will probably go in the Mile, but watching her, and OB, and Wait a While (with a similar late kick) would have been great.<br>

carlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Hi

hello bignose.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Thanks for that link byanose. There is also an archive of all the old Breeders Cup races. Fantastic seeing the likes of High Chapparal and Rock of Gibraltar again. Forget how much Kinane actually gave ‘The Rock’ to do.

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

Quote: from davidjohnson on 6:18 pm on Oct. 28, 2006[br]Thanks for that link byanose. There is also an archive of all the old Breeders Cup races. Fantastic seeing the likes of High Chapparal and Rock of Gibraltar again. Forget how much Kinane actually gave ‘The Rock’ to do.

Still tyring to forget 🙁

byanose
    • Total Posts 9

davidjohnson and ultimate nightmare- that was my first in-person BC. And while I understand the " still trying to forget" I have to say, I can still remember how breathtaking he was- he was flying at the end. Shame he had so much to overcome.

Anyway, I have been in Kentucky the past few days, went to workouts this morning; getting really excited for Saturday. My sentimental favorite for the day is of course Ouija Board. I am looking hard now at some of the under-the-radar Europeans- What does anyone think of Rob Roy? Echo of Light? Satulagi? I think she outclasses all of the Americans…<br>Good luck to any of you who are betting!  

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.