The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

national hunt – who you looking forward to?

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks national hunt – who you looking forward to?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Agreed. Few horses in training at present are as tough and giving as Ballycassidy, and he deserves to land at least one more big prize. Shame in a way that he’s not eligible for hunters’ chases for at least another season, if not two, as he’d rate a serious player in those.

I may well look foolish when I have access to the resources to confirm this, but I am pretty sure that he is in fact eligible for hunter chases (or points, as long as he changes yard).

Will check this out tomorrow and will offer a humble apology if I’m wrong!! (but I’m pretty sure I’m right!)

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Uhoh.

Zome’ll be on the phone in a minute.

"Zoz Zoz Zoz!!!! We have to buy Ballycassidy!!!!"

"With what?"

"Erm……." *thoughtful pause* "Magic beans?"

"Have we got any magic beans?"

*Thoughtful pause*

"Er….beans?!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I may well look foolish when I have access to the resources to confirm this, but I am pretty sure that he is in fact eligible for hunter chases (or points, as long as he changes yard).

Will check this out tomorrow and will offer a humble apology if I’m wrong!! (but I’m pretty sure I’m right!)

Isn’t the criterion that he mustn’t have won a £20,000 penalty value chase since the end of May 2005? I’d presume his win at Kelso this year and his other nice victory last would rule him out of points at least on that basis, if not hunter chases.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

zome
    • Total Posts 232

Uhoh.

Zome’ll be on the phone in a minute.

"Zoz Zoz Zoz!!!! We have to buy Ballycassidy!!!!"

"With what?"

"Erm……." *thoughtful pause* "Magic beans?"

"Have we got any magic beans?"

*Thoughtful pause*

"Er….beans?!"

I already have it all planned out in my mind. 8)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

race at Kelso was total prizemoney £20,000,winner £9,500….also did you know that Tony Dobbin was building some sort of training establishment with Rose Davidson at a place called South Hazelrigg which is off the A1 round Berwick way….

zome
    • Total Posts 232

re Ballycassidy – was at Kelso in May when he won a class 3 and ran to the winners enclosure so that I could be really close to him! I didn’t realise from seeing him on the telly how absolutely tiny he is. Everyone, including the opposition were really pleased for Peter Bowen that day. I know he’ll be 12 next April, but how brilliant it would be for him to win, fingers crossed….

He is very small. Such a gutsy little trier, and he seems to really enjoy his racing. He’s just a really fantastic horse to watch. :D

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

I am NOT training him out of a paddock with Zing and Puffball.

The Shetland would eat him for breakfast.

And I can’t see you working him with Redwing panning out entirely well either.

• Total Posts 2440

What about Kicking King.

Would be great to see him out again if he is fit and raring to go.

Participant
    • Total Posts 515

He would definitely be qualified should connections be mad enough/shrewd enough to go down that route as it is only win prize money that counts towards the penalty value – and the most he has won since the cutoff date is just shy of £19k at Perth. The reason he in particular stuck in my mind is that I’m almost certain that we had an enquiry a few months back as to whether he was qualified to Point/Hunter Chase in 08 (an enquiry we also received for Iris’s Gift!!!)

The rule is slightly daft in one way – for example a horse like Slim Pickings (who won £75k when 3rd in the National) would qualify for next season as he has won next to nothing in win money.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Besides being small and very game, he is also very kind and doesn’t eat a lot of hay! :wink:

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

He would definitely be qualified should connections be mad enough/shrewd enough to go down that route as it is only win prize money that counts towards the penalty value – and the most he has won since the cutoff date is just shy of £19k at Perth. The reason he in particular stuck in my mind is that I’m almost certain that we had an enquiry a few months back as to whether he was qualified to Point/Hunter Chase in 08

Game on, Zome!

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Hayley Bell
    • Total Posts 7

Ruby Walsh, Paddy Brennan and Barry Geraghty.. triple yum! :wink:

As for horses, there are just so many of them!

Kauto Star
    Nevada Royale
    Money Trix
    Aran Concerto
    Big Bucks
    Nicanor
    Blue Shark

To name but a few of the top of my head!

zome
    • Total Posts 232

He would definitely be qualified should connections be mad enough/shrewd enough to go down that route as it is only win prize money that counts towards the penalty value – and the most he has won since the cutoff date is just shy of £19k at Perth. The reason he in particular stuck in my mind is that I’m almost certain that we had an enquiry a few months back as to whether he was qualified to Point/Hunter Chase in 08

Game on, Zome!

gc

Yesssssss! :D

• Total Posts 108

Ruby Walsh, Paddy Brennan and Barry Geraghty.. triple yum! :wink:

Bad luck Hayley, you’re well behind me in the queue for Ruby.

I think I answered this in the other thread, but I’m mainly looking forward to the Nicholls big guns, especially Twist Magic (got such a soft spot for that nag), Star de Mohaison if he can make it back, KS of course and Denman. As I have tickets booked for both the Charlie Hall and the Hennessey, I so hope he runs in both as per Harry F’s wishes.

Looking forward to seeing one of Elite’s French-bred summer buys, Atomic Winner, having her first run for Alan King, and also interested to see where Penzance will go after his in-and-out season last year.

Chubs
    • Total Posts 67

im looking forward to seeing BLYTHE KNIGHT this n h season

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

re Ballycassidy – think I’m going into National Velvet dream land here – the question is if he comes and lives in my back garden who’s going to ride him?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I’m sure Derby is well within Zome’s reach.

Hey, from your base you could always get him qualified with the High Peak and run him over the stone walls in Flagg Moor’s Members race on Easter Tuesday. I’d pay to see that!

gc

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.