The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Musidora 2024

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Musidora 2024

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4934

This looks a weak field, and it will be disappointing if Friendly Soul isn’t good enough to land the odds. I was a little concerned that the ground might become softer than ideal, but it looks as if it will be no worse than good. She bossed the Newmarket race from the front, and hopefully Shoemark is going out with a similar intention tomorrow. I don’t see anything obvious to take her on although having been on the receiving end last time I suppose Murphy might try and apply more early pressure than he did at Newmarket. I suppose one the Rausing runners is the other option to go forward.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1766

Take a chance with Classical Song.

"Life is timeless, days are long when you're young"

Participant
    • Total Posts 31975

Francophone has made the running, but not since her debut. But both Mayfair and Secret Satire made the running last time out. For Friendly Soul’s future I hope they don’t make the running today, as making her an out and out front runner will make her vulnerable to Coolmore pacemakers in Group 1’s. At the moment she seems to settle well whether making it or tracking pace. A hold up or tracking pace ride off strong fractions and winning going away from the field here could encourage connections to supplement for the Oaks – which needs a potential top notcher..

Value Is Everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4934

She isn’t on trial for the Oaks. Not sure why you are pushing her in that direction. The intention is to run in the Prix De Diane, presumably because they see her as speed over stamina.

Horses are creatures of habit (as are punters), and making all at Newmarket worked perfectly. No point at all in complicating matters on a short priced favourite. What’s it going to look like if he changes tactics and gets beat. This is an important ride for the jock, and messing up won’t be good news.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3415

Fav into 1.6-1.7, has to be a lay for me at that price, id be backing at 6/5 but shes way too short now having only ran 10 days ago, mayfair would be my idea of an e/w angle, but ill stick with the lay

Participant
    • Total Posts 31975

As I said, Stilvi… There are two other horses who made the running last time out in today’s field. They can’t all front run. What is Shoemark supposed to do if one or both the others want to lead? Go a 6f pace to get in front and have nothing left in the straight? :unsure:

If a horse needs to lead then it is a flaw that an owner with loads of horses (Coolmore, Godolphin etc) can exploit with pacemakers in Group 1’s. By just forcing it to go too fast a pace. Therefore it is wise not to turn a top class racehorse into one that needs to lead by making the running too many times. If there is no pace today then fine, go to the front. If plenty of pace then it will be best for her future (and in this race) not to lead. They won’t want a very strong pace today anyway because it is only a trial. They don’t want to leave the Diane or Oaks behind in a hard race today.

Connections maybe aiming Friendly Soul at the Diane at the moment. But like any good trainer, Gosden will take into account all relevant information into consideration before making a final decision. So after this race he will have more information to go on. Am not saying he will decide or won’t decide on Epsom. Just that it’s a possibility and – for the good of the British classic – I’d like to see her there. :yes:

Value Is Everything
    FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6633

Favs run no kind of race

Perhaps came a bit soon for her

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4934

Welcome to racing 2024 style.

From straightforward at 10/1 turning over the ‘good thing’ to looking unrideable. Had she run like that at Newmarket Kalpana would have won 15 lengths. Instead bookmakers get two fantastic results. As if they need any help.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3415

Not sure id be as forgiven ff , looks very awkward, dont think she was given the best ride either, so possibly thats a factor but i wouldnt be backing her in a hurry

I thought id have a sweat with the lay tbh

Participant
    • Total Posts 1766

These horses get hyped up so quickly but just wasn’t good enough on the day.

"Life is timeless, days are long when you're young"

Participant
    • Total Posts 31975

Friendly Soul was nothing like what she showed at Newmarket. Hanging badly from the start today. When a horse hangs as badly as that it doesn’t matter how good her ability is. Didn’t hang on either of her first two starts. So looks as if something was amiss physically. The other possibility is that being in season affected her badly – if she was in season.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.