The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mr Pointment

Home Forums Horse Racing Mr Pointment

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

After the Beecher Chase I made a note of him as a potential National winner. However when he was given such a high weight the doubts started coming to the fore.

So I was interested in watching him at Donny this afternoon. Well all I can say is something must have gone wrong with him, the way he just stopped as if he had run into a wall was astounding. After todays showing I don’t think I could back him at any price.

Cloudy Lane was a worthy winner, and may well have won even if Mr Pointment hadn’t "cracked", however he has now been cut to 6/1 in places, far too short a price, especially five weeks before the race.

The one that did impress me coming out of the race was Ungaro and I have availed myself of some of the 40’s on offer from Skybet. Most of the race he was so far behind he was in another parish, by half way I had virtually written him off, however the way he came with a late rattle was impressive.

Cruella
    • Total Posts 108

According to the RP, Mr Pointment broke a blood vessel.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I would hold fire on Mr Pointment until more is known He was going well enough until he landed very steep at the fence where he imediately started losing ground. He may just have jarred himself a bit…….run was too bad to be true.

number15
    • Total Posts 10

I was at Doncaster today and overheard a converation involving Ungaro’s trainer and another guy. The opinion they were expressing was that he was primed to win last week when he fell early on, and that today he was a bit nervous with his jumping.

I thought he finished his race really well today, although Cloudy Lane ran a fantastic race and I thought he would have probably won even if Ungaro had run his race.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Cloudy Lane goes from strength to strength but I couldn’t back him at 6s.Ungaro can be hit and miss.For me the one to take out of the race is Alderburn-would be very interested if he runs at Cheltenham on Tuesday week.

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

In my opinion, even before Mr Pointment faded badly he had dispelled any thought of him being a national horse.
    He didn’t attack one single fence and it was obvious the big fences had affected him somewhat.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Cloudy Lane goes from strength to strength but I couldn’t back him at 6s.Ungaro can be hit and miss.For me the one to take out of the race is Alderburn-would be very interested if he runs at Cheltenham on Tuesday week.

Luke, Henry Daly has said Alderburn is to by-pass Cheltenham and will be aimed at either Aintree or the Betfred.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Mr Pointment went out to 999/1 but is now back to around 20/1 on betfair.
    Hoppefully whatever ailed him was only minor.
    Harry Skelton (assistant trainer) told ATR "Get On" that he is still on course for the National.

Before yesterday was not a fan of Cloudy Lanebut certainly stayed on well. When racing over further in the Irish National he ran poorly, but that might not be due to stamina. Could also have been because of going right handed, most form the other way around. Or the travelling over.
    Now looks a handicap good thing. Think he might start around 9/2 on the day.

Ginge

value is everything
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I am going to make apoint of studying the race again later before maybe having a bet on Mr P but as far as Cloudly Lane is concerned he’s winning too much too early IMO Only horse I can remember going into the national with form like him and winning was Highland Wedding…(excuse me if I am wrong memory aint what it used to be)……mind you I really like his trainer he’s 10 times better than the old man ever was and not knocking the man………..guess he knows what he’s doing but if you go to the well too often???? Hope that’s him until national day the horse surely should have a rest before D-Day

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I was pleased to see Cloudy Lane stay on over 3m2f as he hadn’t quite seen out 3m plus before.. Mr Pointment took an age to get his jumping going and I wouldn;t go near him now..

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

New something was wrong and you were being too hasty to write him off……..he burst a blood vessel apparantly.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

New something was wrong and you were being too hasty to write him off……..he burst a blood vessel apparantly.

Which begs the question could you trust a "bleeder" in the National?

Especially if they break just five weeks before the race!!!

That aside, I still think he has been given too much weight at Aintree.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Horse has beeen around along time Pual. It happens to more horses than you know and quite likeley is probably a one off. I thiink they can treat him and chances are it will never happen again.

I remember John Suthern I think was the trainer at the the time fancied Gembridge Jupiter at Doncaster and he was subject some real heavy bets.

He like Mr Pointment just stopped dead that day when he burst a blood vessel

He went on and won or was placed in 40 races and ran up until he was 16 years old.

I would have no problems trusting the horse at all as he is not a known bleeder.

Unlike most people I think the national will be won this year by horse near the top of the handicap. The Hennessy haunts me and reminds me how bad some of the horses at the lower and are,

Great to have a low weight in the national but you still need to have class…just can’t see anything that has any.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I remember John Suthern I think was the trainer at the the time fancied Gembridge Jupiter at Doncaster and he was subject some real heavy bets.

John Suthern rode Gembridge Jupiter – Chris Trietline trained it.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.