The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Morning Line and Richard Hoiles

Home Forums Horse Racing Morning Line and Richard Hoiles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

The morning line team did an item on the Tramore farce earlier this week and then proceeded to show various other jockeys riding a finish a circuit too early with much laughter from the assembled team though Catt was a bit quiet. They then went on to say that in England it tended to happen at sharp tracks eg Fakenham. They did not appear to know that Tramore is the sharpest track in Ireland.

Anyway my point is they all had a great laugh at the Jockeys but why did they not show Cattermoles Newbury bloomer of last week which was equally funny.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

The morning line team did an item on the Tramore farce earlier this week and then proceeded to show various other jockeys riding a finish a circuit too early with much laughter from the assembled team though Catt was a bit quiet. They then went on to say that in England it tended to happen at sharp tracks eg Fakenham. They did not appear to know that Tramore is the sharpest track in Ireland.

Anyway my point is they all had a great laugh at the Jockeys but why did they not show Cattermoles Newbury bloomer of last week which was equally funny.

Which was that? ? ?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

He called the wrong horse most of the way up the straight, he got it right after the last I think it was.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Oh yes, i think i remember listening to that one on the radio.

I thought it was strange when he changed his mind about 50-100 yards from the finish line.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It was interesting at Fontwell on Thursday, another sharp track, that commentator Alan Howes made a point of mentioning as they were going down, the number of times the riders would be jumping the last. Not sure if it was a reminder for the jocks or him.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Strange title for this thread.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Mr Kennedy apologies for not consulting you first. You are so up your own arse at times Gus.
    The reason for the title is that Hoiles was presenting the item in question.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Thanks for the gracious explanation, bc. I hadn’t seen the programme and my psychic powers aren’t what they were.

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

Saucer of milk for the ladies at the bar :wink:

Come on guys behave

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Mike Cattermole did actually refer to the incident on the morning line; also someone on ceefax did say that he apologised at the racecourse last week….

Richard Hoiles
    • Total Posts 197

The point was not that Tramore was not sharp but that they only raced for 1m 5f.
    The analogy used was for a four mile chase at Fontwell or Taunton or a three miler at Fakenham where at least if you miscount by a lap you would cover a legitimate distance i.e at least 2 miles.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Richard
    Thank you for replying but as I guess you know my real question was why did you guys not take the **** out of Cattermole in a light hearted manner lke you did the errant jockeys

Richard Hoiles
    • Total Posts 197

From a personal point of view it was because ‘ there but for the grace of god go I etc’.

There are actaully a couple of instances of callers building up for towards a crescendo a circuit early only to realise their error when the jockeys do not begin to ride a finish !

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Richard
    Thank you for replying but as I guess you know my real question was why did you guys not take the **** out of Cattermole in a light hearted manner lke you did the errant jockeys

Is it really a big deal?

No offence but why the criticism over (to be honest) practically nothing?

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

On the subject of commentaries…Richard’s calling of Backbeat’s Sandown victory was different class – he practically told us to back him in-running (twice!) – "he’s still available at 2-1 in-running" (he was….and I didn’t).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.