The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Moderators

Home Forums Horse Racing Moderators

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    EvaxiaTeade
    • Total Posts 4

We’ve now strengthened the forum moderator team. While the forum runs well 99% of the time we do have the odd individual spoiling it from time to time and hopefully the addition of new moderators plus the extending of moderator powers will help us nip these in the bud a little more effectively and quickly.

Like a good referee an effective moderator will be conspicuous by his/her absence so I’m hopeful we won’t notice any day to day change to the way the forum has been run (other than a swifter axeing of the nutjobs).

The mod team (myself, Matron, Jim JTS, Grasshopper, Dave Jay and Happy Jack) have all been on the forum many years and between us inhabit most sections daily so hopefully nothing will slip through the net.

If it does then please feel free, as always, to contact either myself or one of the other moderators to let us know if there is something you are unhappy with or if there is something we can help with.

Cormack15

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Welcome to The Racing Forum, Chomba Womba. :oops: :lol:

Colin

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1636

Why have you stopped taking on new members using those email accounts Corm? I ask that as a Yahoo user! I’m just not sure how you can judge someone on what email account they use.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I was going to ask that question as well, as a googlemail user.

What is the reason for the discrimination?

Colin

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

As Corm has stated that it won’t affect you so why are you bothered?

So as a gentile in Nazi Germany you obviously wouldn’t have been bothered about watching watching millions of Jews be carted off to gas chambers.

Just like any statesman, Corm has to do what he thinks is best for the majority not the minority

A true statesman uses his position to protect minorities

What a stupid decision to block people with google and yahoo accounts. That means you are blocking most who are unemployed or an old age pensioner from registering, as they don’t have work e-mail addresses. I have never heard of censorship applied BEFORE the fact in my life. Surely it is simple enough to ban anyone posting undesirable content within at least 24 hours of them doing so. No wonder this forum comes in for such negative feedback amongst certain of the media where i have heard it described variously as "The Racist Forum" and "The Racing Fascists" amongst others. you would do well to bear this in mind, Cormack 15.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

I had to take out a yahoo e mail address because my aol account wouldn’t allow me to join any forum other than the aol message board, which I didn’t want to be involved with any more; I guess it is a means by which people can assume different identities, but it isn’t always for the wrong reasons…however, I don’t wish to complain. If anyone spots something unpleasant surely we could pm one of the moderators….

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

I think the reasoning has gone slightly off topic here….

I understand why Corm is wary of webmail users are those who are causing mischief with multiple addresses usually use that method.

BUT, I don’t think the global ban approach is the right way of dealing with it, as the vast majority of those with hotmail etc will be legitimate. I have both work and home email address, but I don’t use either of them to register on forums or other sites as:
    a) I don’t want to receive ‘leisure’ emails on my work address.
    b) I want to protect my personal email addresses from potential spam attacks.

I agree that the increase in moderator numbers should help in isolating and containing nutters/spammers/bots much quicker than before. Isn’t that enough?

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

What a stupid decision to block people with google and yahoo accounts.

TWW, perhaps you would like to take on the time-consuming and wholly onerous task of managing new memberships yourself? This involves the small matter of opening membership requests, and returning passwords via snail-mail.

Or perhaps you would like to stand-up and be counted and join the Moderation team to ease Cormack’s workload?

If you’re not tempted by either suggestion, then you may wish refrain from making such bald statements as those above……………otherwise you might end-up looking like a hypocritical ar*se – and I’m sure you wouldn’t want that to happen. 8)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Regarding the old "snail" mail method – I never received my password in the post – I joined and after about 3 days sent a mail to say that I’d forgotten it and got a new one e-mailed to me!

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Firstly good luck to the news mods and their work at keeping the forum running well. At times the job is a pain in the ass but as they say someone has to do it.

On another forum (which is far from perfect and has its own problems as well) its done via email etc. I clear the members over there…around 50-60 requests in a day…99% of them being spammers. There are the obvious ones that immeadiately get deleted but there are a few that can be tricky. Some people set up email accounts solely for the purpose of joining a forum so when you see forum.member@hotmail.com its hard to know what to do. I would imagine the hits and log ins over here are far greater given the size and "brand name" this place has.

Posting sounds like hard work, fair play to those involved!

batman
    • Total Posts 489

there was one good point what about the unemployed or oap’s that dont have access to a work email?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Above post is a spam for a rival forum and should be deleted immediately

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i don’t know why anyone is worried about spammers anymore with all the adverts on the site now

the drinks direct one was good but now we’ve got top-tipping services of banned pro-punters, lay horses for a living services, why systems don’t work.com – does anyone think these people are anything other than scammers or shysters of the top order ?

dating services and now unsecured loans from £250, bad debtors welcome, probably collected by billy the baseball bat

surely a membership fee would be better ?

talk about selling one’s soul !

i’ll stand in the corner now and steel myself for the backlash ….

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I think the difference, Simon, is that the adds are easy enough to ignore (not that I had anything to do with their intro, I hasten to add).

It’s much harder to ignore muppets who wifully and maliciously post garbage and nonsense into threads.

And I’ve had countless PM’s asking me to stop, so I know what I’m talking about……………

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Above post is a spam for a rival forum and should be deleted immediately

Edited for the sensitive amongst us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.