The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mike Cattermole’s Cheltenham Commentary

Home Forums Horse Racing Mike Cattermole’s Cheltenham Commentary

Viewing 4 posts - 69 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    War Admiral
    • Total Posts 23

Betting in running is completely different. You do not need to study the running styles of all the horses and even if you did it might not help a great deal. Betting in running for the large part is far easier money than styudying a couple of races a day. The satisfaction of getting a winner is not the same but if you are winning what does that matter?

katabatic
    • Total Posts 17

Feel really sorry for Mike he was gutted when i spoke to him after the race.
    I’ve tried race calling in the past and its the most difficult job in the world. Obviously If you attempt a high profile job you’ve got to expect criticism when things go wrong but personally i feel sorry for him.
    Mikes a good caller and he’ll soon be back on top form !

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

I get annoyed with the discrepancy in describing a horse in say a 12 runner race that’s trailing the field by 4 lengths with a mile to run.

If it’s the favourite it’s being "held up in rear" whilst a 33/1 shot or an outsider and it’s "tailing off" despite not making any forward progress or dropping back.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

But there is a big difference in being held up in rear to tailing off. You can see it in the way the horse is running.

Viewing 4 posts - 69 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.