The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Meydan Thursdays 2020

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Meydan Thursdays 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 989 total)
  • Author
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9478

Your well ahead of me with the Roy Grace Mysterys nw, yourself and my husband Dave are reading the same book at the moment and I’m getting lost in Dead Man’s Grip so a few more to go yet but I’m happy with that.

Away from Roy Grace, but still by Peter James, have you read The House On Cold Hill it’s a Ghost Story (he also likes writing them as you probably know) and there is now a sequel The Secret Of Cold Hill that I bought Dave for Christmas and haven’t read yet…he said it’s chilling😱👍

I haven’t seen IT ..is that the one about a clown? find them a bit creepy in real life🤡 like Chucky & co., but I do like Stephen King.

Keep posting nw so glad you enjoyed the Thread .. I did even without a profit ( say no more B-) and sadly no World Cup.
    Great to hear what everyone is doing to stay safe and sane through these awful times and goes without saying..
    keep well. :heart: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9478

Nathan..bet your workmates are missing you and how lovely you are to think of sending them all a £20 note in hard times..it’s fantastic how people are pulling together to help each other at times like this and my hope is that after this dreadful thing has left us that people will be kinder and more thoughtful to each other.
    Now I’m going to tell you off as you made me cry (happy tears) don’t worry. :heart:

Good luck with finishing painting the house and make sure you have someone to hold the ladder when you do upstairs. :good: and don’t feel guilty for being told to isolate, because you need to and also for Alex.

Hopefully a vaccine will soon be found to keep us all safe and let us back into our world again.

Stay safe Nathan & Alex.. :heart: Jac x

EuroalienEuroalien
    Participant
    • Total Posts 219

Hi Everyone!

If you’re into horror novels I recently read Summer of Night by Dan Simmons – it’s a good one! If you like fantasy fiction, I also just finished the four book Dwarves series by Markus Heitz. If you like Orcs, Elves, Wizards and of course Dwarves, then give these a try!

On Netflix I recently watched Locke & Key for sci-fi/horror fans & on Disney Plus The Mandolorian!

Stay Safe Everyone and Keep in Touch!

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1980

Yes Jac it is the clown one, watched another Stephen King film last night, Dr Sleep its a follow on from The Shinning worth a watch

Thanks Euroalien will get my son to find it for me on NetFlix, one on NetFlix true story about Aaron Hernandez an NFL star who had a dark side, is sad in a strange way

stay safe everyone :heart:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9478

Thanks for those book additions for Sci Fi fans Euro…I was into Star Trek, Stars Wars and Lord Of The Rings when the kids were growing up and have seen all the recent movies..love’em all especially the most recent Lord Of The Rings based around The Hobbit and love all the Marvel comics films too.

Just watching The Stranger now on Netflix only seen 2 Episodes and it’s really good..similar to Broadchurch with much more going on.

After all this we will wonder when we ever had the time to study form. :mail:

Will look out for the Aeron Hernandez NFL story nw and Dr.Sleep too..didnt know there was a sequel to The Shining. :good: :heart:

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6678

I’ve watched the stranger too Jac and enjoyed it. In the same vein as a few series
    we’ve been talking about, sci-fi, unusual powers, I liked I’m Not Okay With This.
    It’s very quirky and brings back the awkwardness, in a really funny way, of being
    at a developing age. It’s not all sweetness and light though, I won’t say more than
    that. I’m with you on clowns Jac, I’ve always found them creepy so I’ve not got round
    to watching It. Maybe when I run out of options I might get round to it.

Euro you mentioned you watched Locke And Key, I’ve seen the clips for it and it looks
    interesting, but it gets mixed reviews with some loving it and others (minority) slating
    it. Did you enjoy it and do you think it’s worth the watch ?

Nathan don’t feel bad about being off work when others are there, there will be plenty of
    time to make up for it later, but you have to be here to do that so just stay safe mate,
    there are people around you who need you :good:

Just a word of warning in these coronavirus times, if you receive an email or WhatsApp with
    the subject “ding dong” don’t open it, they’re Jehovahs Witnesses working from home ;-)

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1980

Brilliant BigG

another to look out for on Netflix is The Staircase, true story on whether or not the wife was murdered by the husband. real court scenes etc/ witness’s coming forward and the split in the family. A lot of episodes so it will pass the time

hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 833

Folks, I must admit I am quite shocked to read that my favourite posters Jac, Nathan and Graham resp. their beloved ones have some serious risks attached. So please pay very close attention to yourselves and your families and go through those terrible times in the best possible shape :rose:
    I myself don’t give too much of a damn to my daily risk, as my lungs etc are very robust from 27 years of rowing, I just care for my parents, because agewise they are real oldies now, I love them so much :heart: and god bless them! So I must understand to only contact them via skype in these worrying times..

EuroalienEuroalien
    Participant
    • Total Posts 219

Hi Graham

I really enjoyed Locke & Key and would say it’s even family friendly, with a few spooky moments. The series is well made with some good acting! Well worth a look in my opinion. Let me know what you think if you watch it.

Take Care Everyone!

Euro

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21678

Nice words Hein, thank you..
    Jac, sorry to make you cry, it good to have a cry now and then, I must admit to shedding a few tears this past week. The chap sat in his car talking about losing his Mum today on social media due to the virus set me off.
    BigG you were spot on, I spoke via messenger to a few of the guys and girls I work with and they all said the same thing that I should not worry or feel any guilt and that I have always done my share of getting stuck in to any challenge and its just a case of sitting this one out.
    Alex is doing his school work in the mornings giving me a lie in. I done PE lesson with him today, somekind of keep fit thing by Jo Wicks from youtube, Christ I’m unfit… :yes:

Member since March 2008
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9478

Thank you Hein and look after your mum. :rose: stay safe.

Nathan so many mixed emotions this week it would be a hard man or woman who didn’t shed a tear or two.

When this is all over you , me and Graham are taking a trip to Germany to be trained up in advanced rowing techniques by Hein (I’ll serve up the tea and chocolate digestives ;-)) .this will help us when dashing from paddock to bookie pushing all those sockless wonders out of the way to get our tenner on the favourite before the off . ;-)

Amazing scenes of clapping the NHS at 8.00pm tonight. :heart: what would we do without them. :heart: Jac x

hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 833

Thank you dear Jac, but do not forget my beloved Father, as in less than a month he will turn incredible 85 years :good: :rose: In his head and in his communication he is still younger than me :heart:
    Sure I would gladly teach you some rowing, I am indeed a trainer in our little rowing club on the “Harkort See”, but firstly please learn the technique and stay safe and dry :bye:

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6678

Thanks for your concern Hein and don’t worry about me and Mrs G, we are as remote from the
    world as Robinson Crusoe was on his island. We also have our man Friday, in the shape of my
    sister who won’t let me shop and brings all provisions to the house, she’s an absolute angel.
    You must have lungs like bellows Hein having been rowing for that length of time, and you’ll
    be glad for it now. Good to hear that you are taking care of your old folks, there’s nothing
    more important in life than family.

Thanks for that Euro, I’ll definitely get round to that and let you know what I thought about
    the series, I’ve only got 2 episodes to go in Stranger Things and I’ve got a wee list now to
    get through.

Good to get the feedback from your work colleagues Nathan, you’re clearly well thought of there
    and hopefully they have put your mind at rest. I saw on one of the morning programmes the other
    day that guy Jo Wicks doing excercises with the kids. If you can keep up with that your a better
    man than me Gunga Din :good:

I like the thought of that trip to Germany Jac, and I’m definitely up for the rowing. I think
    I’ve got the perfect position in the boat for me……cox B-)
    My boy, the youngest one, is in Germany, in Munich. He is over there tutoring but has to carry
    on with lessons on Skype. He’s due to be over there until next March, and perhaps a further year,
    and I do worry about him as he feels far away. He would do well in the rowing, he spent a couple
    of years in Japan and is a black belt in aikido and super fit. I speak to him every day on WhatsApp.
    Thankfully my older son in London is recovering well from the virus. He’s still not 100% yet, but
    he’s going the right way. That’s a big worry off my shoulders.

It’s good to hear that everyone here is doing well, my heart goes out to all the medical people
    who are very much in the front line and as you said Jac, it was heart warming to see people over
    the whole country with their windows open clapping to show their huge gratitude and appreciation
    of our medical workers and carers. Stay safe everyone :rose:

hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 833

Lungs like bellows?!
    Thank you so much Graham, I must say you are one of my favourite posters, as you have the rare quality to bring things very straight to the point :good:
    My lung’s volume is indeed more than 6 liters, and in those frickin’ times I can be very fortunate about it. By the way, regularity is key, as I’ve been doing this three times a week for the last 27 years.
    If you really intend to come over after this frickin’ catastrophe will have passed I would give you a warm welcome at the airport, and then we can come to the heart of the matter, of course in an unsinkable gig boat first :good: If Nate will join we can go for a skull four :bye:

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1980

This was a great thread while the racing was on, but some of the messages since just shows how great and loving we can be.
    Best wishes and love to all and stay safe :heart:

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 989 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.