The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

McCoy v Walsh

Home Forums Horse Racing McCoy v Walsh

Viewing 14 posts - 18 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I know people rave on about that race, but I’ve often wondered if a better horseman would have got Wichita Lineman more balanced and jumping better throughout the race.We can all see a jockey getting everything out of a horse at the end of a race, but we tend not to notice so much a jockey nursing a difficult ride round to win or place.[Sour grapes on my part, probably, having backed the second].

• Total Posts 1537

I tend to go for what i think is the better horse. No problem who’s on board.

• Total Posts 12

He kept shoving like he was paid to do – that’s all I saw.

‘Never gives up’!! :roll:

Call me a cynic, but just because a jockey is paid to give a horse a ride, it doesn’t necessarily mean he will.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

He kept shoving like he was paid to do – that’s all I saw.

‘Never gives up’!! :roll:

Call me a cynic, but just because a jockey is paid to give a horse a ride, it doesn’t necessarily mean he will.

Sadly true, but then that’s what the stewards are there for. Had Wachita Lineman (to use an example) stopped going forward as soon as AP gave up pushing, he’d surely have been called in for not trying – and rightly so. It was no heroic ride IMO, as much as looking great to the eye as the come-from-behind-kitchen sink effort always does.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Ride of the season so far goes to A,P MCcoy on Shadow Dancer at Leicester there!touched 14"s on the machine in running but both horse and jockey were willing!Excellent stuff!

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

When it comes to trainers whether it’s PN, Jonjo, or Nicky Henderson if the horse is right and the race is right there’s nothing between them

Maybe not, but its getting them right thats the key

would also judge a trainer by how long he keeps horses interested and how well primed they are early in their career. For me PN and NH beat JJ hands down on both counts

As for thr jockeys, i tend a little towards glodikovas view (badly expressed as ever :wink: ) that the influence of a jockey is a little overrated at times. Its natural to focus on them because they are ..well…there. But its the behind the scenes stuff that really wins races, just not so visible is it?

Its a strange time to pick for backhanded compliments towards PN given the superb recovery mission he performed on Denman and the seeming rejuvenation of Twist Magic (wasnt just the tactics and course wot won it i believe) Can name a few trainers who would have had the (awful) "genius" tag thrown over them for such feats

Ruby is superb though…must be said

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Ruby is good no question, but I too think he is riding for the top stable at the moment and if McCoy was at Ditcheat then there would be no thread like this.

McCoy is, IMHO, the best there has ever been. He has worked hard at his technique over the years. He could be a bit whip happy when a youngster. Now he often wins with minimal use of the whip, but uses his legs, balance and strength to get the best out of a horse.

What exactly is there to crab about his ride on Wichita Lineman or his Summer Plate ride. They were McCoy doing what he does best. Winning day in day out. Going to Hexham one day, Fontwell the next. A driven man but a nice man too and the sport is all the better for having him around.

Ardrossthegreat
    • Total Posts 303

Here here that man :wink:

• Total Posts 237

When it comes to trainers whether it’s PN, Jonjo, or Nicky Henderson if the horse is right and the race is right there’s nothing between them

Maybe not, but its getting them right thats the key

would also judge a trainer by how long he keeps horses interested and how well primed they are early in their career. For me PN and NH beat JJ hands down on both counts

As for thr jockeys, i tend a little towards glodikovas view (badly expressed as ever :wink: ) that the influence of a jockey is a little overrated at times. Its natural to focus on them because they are ..well…there. But its the behind the scenes stuff that really wins races, just not so visible is it?

Its a strange time to pick for backhanded compliments towards PN given the superb recovery mission he performed on Denman and the seeming rejuvenation of Twist Magic (wasnt just the tactics and course wot won it i believe) Can name a few trainers who would have had the (awful) "genius" tag thrown over them for such feats

Ruby is superb though…must be said

Totally agree there with the best trainers in Nicholls & Henderson, the stats speak for themselves.

John Jo’s horses don’t seem to be performing the way
    they did in the past & I’m always wary of backing horses trained by him, unless ofcourse McCoy’s on board.

Mark :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

There’s nothing like watching Ruby sitting motionless as his horse pings a fence, but imo McCoy is more fearless riving into a fence

• Total Posts 262

Ruby may have given up his spleen for the sport,but AP gives us all his guts and heart to every ride.

In short… AP

• Total Posts 262

Here here that man :wink:

And hear,hear to that.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

mcoy and jonjo have that never say die way.
    ware francome and walsh are a bit more a cross between horsemen and a jockey..
    timmy murphy understands horses and trys to improve them will make a very good trainer..
    andy thorton has ability but dont think he likes to be hard on them.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

AP’s dedication is probably unrivalled – but his talent is somewhat overrated IMO. Roddy Green ‘tries’ just as hard, Choc Thornton presents a horse at a fence just as well, if not, better. Ruby is so far in front of AP and everybody else on every count that they’re beyond comparison.

The arguments made for AP so far are ‘bravery’, ‘dedication’ and that irritating claim that he ‘never gives up’!

Viewing 14 posts - 18 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.