The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

May I have your Whip?, Thank You…

Home Forums Horse Racing May I have your Whip?, Thank You…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

1.15, Cheltenham, Chase,

Approaching the second last, HOOPY’s jockey, Mr McKeown? appeared to ask King Harald’s jockey for his whip.(he had dropped his whip earlier in the race) It again appeared that the said jockey gave him the whip. Using this assistance Hoopy was driven home up the hill pipping Alexanderthegreat.

I backed HOOPY, and was very concerned at, what I saw a proper objection to the winner. I could not believe it that the result stood!!! :shock:

How can obtaining, with or without the other jockey’s consent, an article mid race, not be breaking the rules??
    Without that whip it is unlikely HOOPY would of won. His error early race, he lost his whip, so tough. But to acquire an advantage later on in the race, by disadvantaging another competitor, is surely against the spirit of the sport and the actual regulations.
    OK, KH was beaten, but how on earth could his jockey ride him to his best position without his whip??

I am happy, I got paid out, but a very, very weird decision by the stewards… :?

regards,

doyley

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

……..and if no rules were broken, why was he given a two-day ban? :?

Colin

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Do you go by the name ‘Graham Cunningham’ by any chance, doyley?

No rules were broken – in fact, it was impressively resourceful – so how can the decision to let the result stand be anything other than correct?

The regulations surrounding the running of cross-country races are far more contentious however…

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

………I ask again, if no rules were broken, why did he receive a two-day ban?

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 7521

The same thing happened in the Velka Pardubice a while back.

trackside528
    • Total Posts 137

………I ask again, if no rules were broken, why did he receive a two-day ban?

Would that not be implying that every time a rule was broken, the horse was thrown out, Col?

If McKeown had been banned for two days for using the whip with excessive frequency would we be asking the question?

I’m personally in two minds about this one; whilst I commend McKeown on his initiative, I can’t help but feel that he did gain an unfair advantage.

• Total Posts 2184

Couldn’t agree with Cunningham’s argument on RUK. Thought Ted Walsh put him right. :lol: :lol:

Jason McKeown broke no rules. King Harald was well beaten so any comparison with the Piggott incident in France has no real relevance. Best horse won the race in my opinion.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Lester got a 20 day ban for nicking a whip of some Frenchie……..he’s done well this lad……. I think Lester said "He wasn’t using it anyway" Not the most serious offence in the world and 2 days is plenty……..Lester told them to go, you know what, themsleves which never helped his case.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

"Best horse won then race" – irrelevant.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

The winner should have been thrown out imo, but if there is no rule applicable to the actual incident that happened you can hardly blame the stewards for not doing so can you?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

What reason did the stewards give for handing out the ban?

Colin

• Total Posts 2184

Don’t see how it isn’t relevant with respect Peruvian.

Surely we all want to see the best horse win every race and the best horse does win this race. No breach of the rules occur. At no stage does Hoopy interfere or hamper Venetia Williams’ horse and it’s not as if Jason McKeown takes the whip off the rider on the second. Donal Devereux was hardly going to be needing his whip either.

We’re all entitled to our own view and that’s what makes this game great, but I can’t see what the fuss is about here.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Whether or not it should be allowed, it certainly doesn’t fall under Graham Cunningham’s apparently liberal banner of cheating. Some sports allow participants to share equipment (speedway, for instance) and some don’t (golf, as per Mr Cunningham), but in any case it is specified in the rules – that doesn’t automatically make the action unreasonable.

Is there not a case, in light of this, to have whips somehow attached to a rider’s hand so that they can’t actually be dropped? You obviously then have the possibility of getting it caught during a fall, but a simple ‘quick release’ mechanism (similar to that which cuts the throttle on a speedway bike when a rider falls) would surely solve that?

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Interesting to see if they make a new rule on this. In this case King Harald was beaten and the jockey gave up his whip freely. However under these rules (or lack of them) I presume the result would have stood if he’d taken the whip of another jockey by force. That can’t be right. It will need to be reviewed.

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

I’m sure some of TRFSs more knowlegeable readers can correct me, but having backed the second, I do feel a little be agrieved to be honest.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Good initiative if you ask me

Participant
    • Total Posts 3443

Surely the rules have to be the same for everyone in a race not dependant on how many "mates" you have riding with you in it who you can "borrow" a whip off. Shouldn’t be too difficult to introduce a rule to cover this sort of thing, after all the French had one in place 30 years ago to disqualify Piggott.
    I’m sure the Cheltenham stewards could have disqualified Hoopy if they had wanted having classed the riding as dangerous.
    2 days seems very light.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.