The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

May I Ask?

Home Forums Horse Racing May I Ask?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 252

Good morning all.

I am planning a week’s holiday in the UK beginning June 25th. It is my intention to attend Newbury, Salisbury, and Newmarket on the 26th, 27th and 29th respectively.

What I wish to find out is if it is permissable nowadays to bring a lap-top into the racecourse (I haven’t attended a racemeeting in the UK for ten years) AND , if so, are any of the above three racecourses Wi-Fi enabled.

I would be very grateful if any member could enlighten me. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,<br>Jack C.

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

To be honest I am not sure….the only way you will find out is contacting the racecourses, they all have websites and email. Salisbury I think there is no wifi, I go there lots. I am there twice this week….

Salisbury: http://www.salisburyracecourse.co.uk/<br>Newbury: http://www.newbury-racecourse.co.uk/<br>Newmarket: http://www.newmarketracecourses.co.uk/

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Why don’t you just ask one of the on-course layers nicely if they can put a bet on Betfair for you :rolleyes:

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

A Lap top computer or dancer?

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

No Wi-fi at any of those courses as far as I am aware, certainly not for Joe Public use. I use a Vodafone 3G card – fantastic signal at Newbury thanks to Vodafone HQ being down the road. Newmarket signal not so good and haven’t been to Salisbury. Word of warning re: Newmarket on Friday night – it might be sold out.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

No Wi-fi at any of those courses as far as I am aware, certainly not for Joe Public use. I use a Vodafone 3G card – fantastic signal at Newbury thanks to Vodafone HQ being down the road. Newmarket signal not so good and haven’t been to Salisbury. Word of warning re: Newmarket on Friday night – it might be sold out.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

MatronMatron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5823

Blimey,

You are emphasizing your point today Mounty. :biggrin:

Regards- Matron<br>:cool:<br>

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 252

Very many thanks to you all for your kind and helpful replies.

David, it’s not necessarily solely Betfair I wish to trade on —  Books also will be seeing a bit of my disposable! It’s just that it is a bit of a hassle converting Euro toytownmoney into Sterling, and I don’t like the notion of walking around with a couple of K’s in pocket (whilst also having more than a couple Glenfiddich’s in pancreas). Here, at home in my native land, my punting at the course would be "on-the-nod" — credit/debit account etc.  I would prefer to have my on-course wagering at the planned meetings to be transacted electronically. But no great deal about it …………

Mounty, thanks. Thing is, when you are coming from abroad into the Vodaphone UK environment — trying to organise a "Roaming" short-term 3G contract is an absolute nightmare. Just not worth it.

The question is tho’, can I find out for deffo if it is permissable to actually carry a lappy into a racecourse in the UK??? I do recall reading 5/6 years ago that such a practice was banned. Have things changed in the meantime?<br>

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Sorry about the multiple posts – site hung then pressed refresh (several times) in frustration. Possession of a laptop on a racecourse is no problem. They tried to ban mobile phones in the betting ring at one time but everyone just laughed at them.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Just be careful if you’re going to Worcester with a laptop. I used mine in the members bar there recently and soon had a crowd round me – they started off with Oooh! Does that tell you all the winners" but were soon shouting "Devil! Burn him!".<br>

(Edited by Mounty at 7:22 am on June 12, 2007)

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

:biggrin: :biggrin:

There certainly is wifi at Newbury & Newmarket but not for public consumption – without press accreditation you won’t be able to access it.  I would imagine Salisbury is the same.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 252

Thank you for that, SL. ‘Tis a pity — it would be nice to have the upper hand on the Exchange Shop In-Running boys for once! Seems that Racing still has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Mounty, I have been told that Worcester apparently is the spiritual home of the Luddite movement. Hopefully, there will be no cries of "smash the machines" at Newb, Newm, or Sal next fortnight.

Anyway, looking forward to the adventure. ( Meanwhile, Mrs Hoof is looking forward to "shopping for some nice shoes" ). :angry:

Thanks again to all for your kind advice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.