The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Matt Chapman – Awful presenting of horse racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Matt Chapman – Awful presenting of horse racing

Viewing 6 posts - 52 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ve found the original quote (from RP quotes, ref: Classic Vintage).

"This the first time I have been here for a good five or six years, but I was a regular here when I was training and my daughter has plenty of runners here now as it is does not jar horses up even when it is firm, as they do not water. – Guy Harwood, part owner"

Now, none of the above suggests that they only run firm ground horses at Bath; the inference is quite the opposite.
    While I’m no agronomist, I do understand that grass roots grow nearer the surface on artificially watered ground, and the reason for it. Again, though no expert, surely that suggests that thinner turf will compact or chew up easier than that grown naturally?
    Like GC, I seriously believe that some courses should at least try it, because – whichever way you look at it – the going at other courses isn’t nearly as predictable or reliable as it used to be, before the use of the hosepipe became so wanton.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Agree, the responsibility of running or not running horses lies (as always) with connections. However, there is a greater chance of connections making the wrong decision if they can’t get the right going.

I do believe watering is overdone in some cases. But do see watering as neccessary in most cases.

When the forecast is for NO rain, the course waters, and there is a downpour; courses should not be criticised for over watering. These things happen. Better for safe ground than unsafe. We’ve just got to put up with the inevitable non-runners.

A racecourse vet once told me it’s a fact, the firmer the ground the more injuries / fatalities.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

People knock Chapman, but just the little things like getting kitted out when only in the booth. Take a bow chappers!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Was watching the BBC coverage of Ascot on Tuesday, then switched to ATR just for a change as much as anything else. Some contrast between Chapman going through the incidents during the race and Kevin Darley and the long fella on BBC! Chapman’s not afraid to call it as he sees it. He IS entertainment. He can make a seller a Lingfield exciting.

• Total Posts 19

Some of his calls are brilliant- spot on. Other calls are way off the mark. However, I consider him to be one of the great commentators on the game.

Very entertaining fellow!

Great on screen personality who really has a knack for keeping things interesting. Both Racing expert and TV entertainer- very rare combination.

Keep him on the air- by all means!

bagnallc
    • Total Posts 132

ATR are well aware that he is either loathed or loved but all the best TV personalities are.

Id rather have Chapman over majority of others and i believe it is foolish for anyone to disregard his knowledge because of his flamboyance/loudness.

I disagree with him quite often (about 50/50) but its great to have someone actually giving views and speaking their mind in an industry generally (and i dont include all) full of aftertimers and sit on the fencers.

Viewing 6 posts - 52 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.