The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Matt Chapman

Home Forums Horse Racing Matt Chapman

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Have a look further up the thread.

Colin

• Total Posts 96

Charles Sale in his column in the Daily Mail yesterday. Made the point that the amateur jockey that Matt made his comments about is a solicitor, hence the quick legal action.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Bosranic – if you ever had the misfortune to meet Matt Chapman, you would certainly not be wishing him back on the tv.

That’s your opinion, DS. How a person conducts himself off-screen has no influence on his abilty to do a job on-screen.

You hear many stories (and that’s exactly what they are) of actors, actresses, pop stars and sportsman being complete a@@holes, but it doesn’t stop them being damn good at what they do.

Your personal opinion of the guy has no relevance on his ability to do a job.

it’s not just my opinion of him. practically anyone who has met him, or worked with him, is of the same opinion. If there is any justice in this world, we will never see Matt on TV again!

So you know practically everyone who’s ever known Matt Chapman do you?
    I’m not a fan of the bloke at all, but what he’s like "in real life" has got nothing to do with his screen persona. I don’t know if he’s the same or totally different off screen but that shouldn’t matter. It’s how he acts in front of the camera that matters to viewers.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Not sure if you can totally ignore behaviour off-duty when it comes to employing someone.

If someone should be a ‘wife-beater’ off-duty would you be keen to pay that person a salary.

It goes without saying that I am not suggesting that Mr. Chapman is one of those, in fact, I don’t think he is married.

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Not sure if you can totally ignore behaviour off-duty when it comes to employing someone.

If someone should be a ‘wife-beater’ off-duty would you be keen to pay that person a salary.

It goes without saying that I am not suggesting that Mr. Chapman is one of those, in fact, I don’t think he is married.

Colin

Never did Stan Collymore much harm. BTW hope you are not subtely implying the orangino is batty?

Was that ever proven with Collymore Firefox?

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Fair enough.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3764

Post online reports that Tango Man will be back on Stateside this evening and on ATR tomorrow morning.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

If he’s been on the sunbed all this time you’ll need to adjust your TV…..

• Total Posts 1063

Just been watching the man himself. His adrenalin is in full flow and it’s as if he’s never been away. Happy days are here again….the sun is shining on ATR…

• Total Posts 1800

Good to see him back, ATR was getting a bit one-dimensional, after all this is the era of diversity and free speech.

Noble Locks
    • Total Posts 21

Hello all, this is my first post so please be gentle!

I didn’t hear Chapman’s criticism of the jockey in question but I did catch his grovelling apology he had to give over the air.

Interesting footnote, last Friday (next time out) this horse/jockey combination won by ten lengths and the trainer was called in by the stewards to account for the improved form.

• Total Posts 1063

Steward: "Can you explain this horse’s remarkable performance?"

Trainer: " I certainly can Sir (doffing his hat). It’s simple Sir. When the horse discovered what had been said about him on television, he took very grave exception to the matter. So much so, in fact, that he had stern words with the jockey and told him, in no uncertain terms, that if he didn’t pull his finger out he was going to go public about their relationship. Besides which, he didn’t want to be criticised again by a presenter sporting a better shade of tan. So there you have it, Sir, it ran out of it’s skin because he’s got great ambitions to co-host with Matt."

Steward: "That’s a very plausible explanation, trainer. There’s a good fellow, pass me my G + T on your way out."

• Total Posts 1063

Matt looking very dapper on ATR with pin-stripe suit and waistcoat. Maybe he’s looking forward to co-hosting with my post above.
    David Johnson said it was nice to hear him back on air. I notice he’s being far more conservative in his description of rides, tending to put the onus on the horse rather than the jockey.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

He must have invested in a copy of the code of conduct we had to observe at the Sprotsnam, the central plank of which was “libel horses, but not people”.

Transgressions were dealt with by simple expedient of six lashes before the remainder of one’s colleagues.

The sliding scale of punishments there was actually quite impressive, ranging from an hour in thumbscrews for calling a called-off meeting “abandoned” instead of “cancelled”, right through to actual crucifixion for saying a front-running winner “did it the hard way”.

Life’s lessons learned the hard way, so must it be. I’ll never forget the day I accidentally described Bath as a clockwise track – a pity, as I was actually quite fond of my left leg.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 1063

Hi Gray,
    Why did the paper fold when it seemed to be so popular? Did you write in German?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Jawohl, Herrn Ken, aber die Mehrheit kam damit ueberhaupt nicht klar! 8)

Um, the very short answer to your question can be summed up as "financial misfortune".

If you want more, I’ll add "a lot of" to the front.

Either way, the paper was achieving its best ever sales at the time of its demise, so inevitably there’ll always be a feeling among some of us involved with it of what might have been granted a bail-out.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 1063

For the hard of hearing, this is the translation, I think, of Gray’s first line above:-
    Certainly, Mr. Ken, but the Mehrkeit did not manage this at all! Cool

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.