The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Matt Chapman

Home Forums Horse Racing Matt Chapman

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

My money says we will not be seeing Mr Chapman in the booth again.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

Lincoln,

I dont think the views of this forum should be accepted as representative of most racing viewers, remember that sketch Corbet Barker and Cleese knowing your position in life, were all John Cleese, look down on no one.

The betfair forum suggests that the vast majority support Matt Chapman.

FWIW I think he is the best racing presenter by miles..

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

They say racing is all about opinions, Barry.

Colin Phillips

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

What has Chapman done to cause him to be suspended?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Run off at the mouth once too often?!

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 3443

[quote="barry dennis"

FWIW I think he is the best racing presenter by miles..

I’d probably think the same if I worked at the track and didn’t watch him most days.
    Personally, in my opinion, myself, I think Chapman has been quite good these last few days.

endevour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 99

personaly i think he is very knowledgable about the game if he would just stop behaving like a clown more people would respect his knowledge.

• Total Posts 1982

I’ve never been a huge fan of MC, but I respect his knowledge of the sport and his position as a broadcast personality.

Sadly, in this politically correct, censored world we live in today, many people are unable / afraid to express their opinions due to fear of criticism and reprisal.

Matt Chapman speaks his mind without it descending into a personal attack. He doesn’t shy away from expressing these views and if fragile egos are dented in the process of a professional opinion, arguement or debate, then that’s not his problem.

He’s not afraid to receive criticism, either. I think it was he who once said something along the lines of "I’d rather have an opinion and be proved wrong than just criticize someone else’s".

Some call him arrogant, I’d prefer to use the term colourful.

It’s important we have a good variety of personalities on TV. The common sense approach of Jim ‘Jimbo’ McGrath is perfectly complimented by Big Mac’s sometimes loud, out of control views and it makes for interesting viewing.

Can you imagine a world where we all share the same opinion?

Like I said, I’m not a huge fan of MC, but I respect the guy and he’s good for the sport. He brings colour, passion and diversity.

It seems there’s no room for the likes of Big Mac, Tommo and Matt Chapman. Many, it seems, would prefer to watch boring, monotone, colourless, yes men, too afraid to express an opinion through fear of backlash and criticism.

Matt Chapman is good for racing…and I don’t want to hear anyone knocking Robert Cooper. The guy just brings a smile to my face – as dry as a bone.

• Total Posts 96

Great post Bosranic, for me you have hit the nail on the head, there was an article by Charles Sale in the Daily Mail today

"It is not a good time for TV betting experts who add color to bland horse-racing coverage. Channel 4 have marginalised John McCririck, the BBC haven’t renewed Angus Loughrans contract and ATR have suspended Matt Chapman following a row over his comments about a beaten jockey."

Imo there should be space for all types of commentators.

• Total Posts 1415

Well said Bosranic, post of the year mate.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

It seems there’s no room for the likes of Big Mac, Tommo and Matt Chapman. Many, it seems, would prefer to watch boring, monotone, colourless, yes men, too afraid to express an opinion through fear of backlash and criticism

There’s a few boring, monotone yes men, but there’s others who’re not afraid to express an opinion, who’re good, knowledgeable journalists, yet don’t feel the need to behave/speak like overgrown schoolboys. You don’t feel the need to hit the mute button when they come on. Sean Boyce for example.

• Total Posts 1063

The last time I saw Matt on ATR he concluded his slot by reading out a prepared public apology relating to an Irish jockey with the initials KC.
    I was puzzled that he referred to this jockey as Mister K….. C….. and I presumed the Mister indicated that it was an amateur jockey but then Matt stated that…. he accepted that the ride this man gave to a particular horse was professional.
    Question: Can an amateur jockey be described as riding professionally? It just seems a contradiction in terms.
    Shortly after, I received an email from Matt in answer to my earlier enquiry as to when he was next doing an evening shift. His response was that he doubted whether he would be doing anymore.
    I had hoped he was on ‘garden leave’ because he’s a talent that deserves to be on our screens. Whatever he might have said out of place, it can’t be anywhere near the enormity of a certain highly overpaid BBC personality who finds humour in leaving offensive messages on phone answering machines. Matt make yourself known. Where are you?

• Total Posts 1063

Re: Barry Dennis and ‘class’.
    Heard this one recently:- If you go to work and your name is on the front of the building you’re upper class. If you go to work and your name is on one of the doors inside the building you’re middle class. If you go to work and you wear your name on your shirt then you’re working class.

• Total Posts 1415

I’m missing Matt Chapman – BRING HIM BACK!! He brings colour and personality to the sport which is badly needed.

I don’t want to see Matt thrown off our screens for some pollitically correct nonsense if thats what it is.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Does anyone know for sure if Matt has been suspended or heaven forbid got the boot :) , personally I found him offensive ,but what puzzles me is the lack of clarity on what is exactly the situation

cheers

Ricky

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Does anyone know for sure if Matt has been suspended or heaven forbid got the boot :) , personally I found him offensive ,but what puzzles me is the lack of clarity on what is exactly the situation

cheers

Ricky

Let me throw you a hypothetical question Ricky – if you were working as a freelance for an organisation. Would you be happy if that organisation discussed the status of your contract in public or started making a public statement about the status of said contract?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Fair enough Paul , point taken

:D

Ricky

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.