The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mastership…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

When I first saw the declarations for Lingfield’s 4.05 this afternoon, my immediate thought was that Si Foo would take plenty of beating.

Lightly raced, he had won his last three races pleasingly, his final victory a fairly convincing one over 74-rated High Tribute (who was in receipt of 6lb). Second on the card Our Blessing looked most likely to trouble the favourite, himself a relatively impressive winner over 5f last time out.

It was Mastership who took all the glory however, and he did so in mightily taking fashion. Sat in behind the pace he always appeared to be travelling supremely well and Eddie Ahern had the easiest of jobs in easing him to the lead a furlong out to win by four, on the bridle.

Could Mastership be a leading player in the better sprints this year after a winning a fairly decent event, his performance made all the more taking as he pulled throughout most of the race?

He disappointed at odds-on last time, having previously annihilated a middle-of-the-road field over 8.5f, but looks likely to make up into a pretty smart performer. Flexible as regards distance too, it would seem.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Long way to go. Si Foo may have won a couple recently but "pleasing fashion" is a subjective term. I backed him at Wolverhampton and decided that he was most probably not to be trusted; he hung like a gate and raced with his ears flat back in the last furlong or so and I was happy to lay him today. It’s possible that the winner is very good, but drawing meaningful collateral form conclusions won’t be easy .

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Mastership is difficult to weigh up. As you say, it’s not the first time he’s won in striking fashion, looking to have plenty in hand. I agree with Rory too about Si Foo at Wolverhampton but I don’t think he did much wrong over 7f at Lingfield last time or today to be honest. He put his head down and ran on well to finish clear of the rest, if anything not looking quite so well suited by the step back in trip as his always prominent showings over further had suggested he would. Take the front 2 out of todays race and it was a pretty bad contest. Love In May and Mr Loire have had plenty of chances off similar marks whilst the Jarvis beast had been put up a harsh 8 lb for winning a weak race last time that was run to suit him.

Back to Mastership. Even a extremely positive reading of the form has him at around the 100 mark so he’ll still have a lot to find with the very best sprinters. An ideal target for him might prove to be the Spring Cup, his trainer took the race with Membership a few years ago and a meeting with Hurricane Spirit would be most interesting.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Agreed, Mastership looked very impressive today and maybe sprinting is his game. The FAV isn’t that good and shouldn’t have been a 2s on shot, IMO.

Also, i’d be very wary of Mastership and what he would find if push came to shove. The day he won very cheekily at Wolverhampton always looked as if the jock was scared to do anything on him.

Eddie did the same today, i have a funny feeling if he had have needed to pick his stick up or get low in the saddle he would have started to run on the spot.

Wouldn’t be one i’d be backing next time out, he will most likely to be odds on and if he has to come of the bridle, that is race over for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.