The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Masters Snooker.

Home Forums General Sports Masters Snooker.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22627

I think the bookmakers are living on Ronnie O’Sullivan’s past glories. This the same O’Sullivan who last year went a whole 7 months without winning a single ranking event match and has fallen down the rankings and on the verge of dropping out of the top 16 a 4/7 shot to beat Ding Junhui….. :shock:

Ding isn’t the most reliable but won this event last year and should of been in the worlds final but for Trump winning the final 2 frames, is in form having knocked in 2 147’s this week and at 13/8 will carry my money to heap further misery on the rocket……. :twisted:

Member since March 2008
    sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Ronnie doesn’t bother with many of the too many cheap and short PTC comps which ranking points are awarded for, he’s not the first to say that these can actually cost them money to play and do well in.

Snooker seems to be dragging along the bottom now and Barry Hearn needs to do something before it falls off the radar, apart from the worlds, uk champs and the masters it’s a bit invisible these days.

The game needs to get back to half a dozen or so majors each year topped off with a worlds, though finding the sponsors could be hard but that BDO darts is so much poorer than the PDC and must be ripe for hijacking?

Whether Ronnie beats Trump today depends on what mood he got up in this morning, this evening’s quarter needs a sleeping bag, tomorrow’s are quite even though.

My guess for the semis is Trump, Higgins, Williams and Selby, acca pays nearly 8/1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 22627

I can see your point in prize money for the ptc events but I cant see Ronnie being too enthusiastic about having to go through the qualifiers to get into the big comps.

Member since March 2008
    sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

You’re right there and it looks like he’s almost giving up with the game, he’s won his world titles, made his money and doesn’t like the game in it’s current format and maybe realises there’s more to life than looking at a snooker table all day every day.

Surprised by the quarters results and it’s not beyond the realms that the games most unpopular player could add the Masters to his portly portfolio :shock:

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Unsurprisingly, Ronnie is not bothering with this weekend’s Snooker Shoot Out event. There should perhaps be a minimum number of tournaments to play in each year as there are plenty of will ing players who would play in every one.

Yes, it is a gimmicky tournament with not much prize money unless you get through to the last four but the rest of the games top players support the event, maybe because they enjoy their sport as well as it is just a fun weekend away in Blackpool at the end of the day.

Tomorrow is the first time for 3D TV snooker coverage, could be interesting..

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Ronnie was not missed, Jimmy stood in for him and the crowd were happy and Alfie Burden stood in for Peter Ebdon who was not invited as he is too slow. Well played to Barry Hawkins for winning.

Participant
    • Total Posts 22627

Dave Harold was cutting it fine with the shot clock on numerous occasions, I was supporting him on the quiet.

I was happy for Hawkins but give me a Terry Griffiths and Cliff Thorburn tactical battle in a best of 25 any day of the week, slow enough to send you to sleep at about just before halfway and slow enough still so you can wake up after a couple of hours snoozing and catch the end.

Member since March 2008
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.