The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mass Rain Dance Tomorrow – 12pm

Home Forums Horse Racing Mass Rain Dance Tomorrow – 12pm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Will all ‘End of the Worlders’ please join in in a Rain Dance tomorrow at 12pm.

48 hours of rain is needed before Towcester’s meeting on Thursday so it can be proved how these new sensiable and reasonable whip rules don’t work.

The Rain Dance will involve ‘Jumping Up & Down on your Hat while chanting "We’re all doomed, we’re all doomed"’

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

As you doubtless realise,

Pompete

, that’s the meeting for which the Jockeys’ Strike has been mooted. You might think that’s funny. Others will beg to differ.

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

But, Pins is it going to happen?

Or, having got over Ruby’s ‘toys out of the pram’ outburst and let’s be honest he is a stroppy gobshite at the best of times (not that I think he should be anything otherwise as I like the fact he is, just like his old man) the NH Boys have got used/adapted to the new sensiable and reasonable whip rules and the meeting will go off swimingly….

As you are a supporter of British Racing I assume you hope so too…

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Oh no…..Pins and the Neo Cons are SEETHING

No Jockey Strike
    No Whip Bans
    Everything went swimmingly

THERE IS NO BIG PICTURE….

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

THERE IS NO BIG PICTURE….

Sorry to rain on your ghastly parade,

Pompete

, but the "

big picture

" has just been painted on the

Ruby Walsh Appeal

thread. And today’s

"big picture"

shows

three

whip bans today in total (and 15 days loss of future employment for jockeys).

That is – today at least – a worrying fall in compliance with the rules, from

99.25%

(old rules) to

98.94%

(new rules).

You can’t pick and choose one meeting, any more than I can pick and choose one day. But if you’re going to go into triumphal mode on the basis of the whip ban figures for November 3rd 2011, then you are going to be dancing alone. Paul Roy and David Muir are more likely to be sitting this one out.

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Pins, as you are well aware you are comparing apples with pears.

It is the total amount of whip use that should (and will) be used to compare the old with the new.

RedRum77RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1549

Will all ‘End of the Worlders’ please join in in a

Rain Dance

tomorrow at 12pm.

48 hours of rain is needed before Towcester’s meeting on Thursday so it can be proved how these new sensiable and reasonable whip rules don’t work.

The

Rain Dance

will involve ‘Jumping Up & Down on your Hat while chanting "We’re all doomed, we’re all doomed"’

Pompete if you really want it to rain, just take a picnic to the racetrack :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Pins, as you are well aware you are comparing apples with pears.

Wrong. I’m using the comparator employed in the

BHA Review

itself. The total number of Whip bans as a single figure, or (from the PJA point of view) the total number of days lost to jockeys through suspension will not be a fair comparison, as the number of races and runners will be different in the two periods under review.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Reducing the number of bans is NOT the key purpose of the rule changes. The key purpose is highglighted in this extract from the Introduction to the whip review document –

"

In particular

, we recognise
    that the Authority’s Rules controlling
    whip use must be seen to be credible
    and fair to ensure safety and horse
    welfare, be proportionate, avoid
    unintended consequences and finally
    be enforceable and

be seen to be
    enforced

." (italics mine)

It was hoped (I think) that increasing penalties would encourage compliance and therefore we would see a reduction in bans, but it hasn’t, to the general surprise of almost everyone I think. My view is that failure of increased penalties to increase compliance levels is yet another indicator of how deeply ingrained the whip culture has become and how difficult it is going to be to change that in order to encourgae compliance.

Still early days, jockey training required I think (this was recognised in the review). I’m not sure what is happening on that front.

We need to stick with it for a much longer period (I suggested a year early on in the discussion) before drawing firm conclusions. Clearly there are arguments for some further tweaking (Eclipse First put forward a great idea on another thread whereby a jockey’s totting up would diminish after a certain number of ‘clean’ rides for example)

ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

3years from now no whip ….more pressure from the tiny minority wins the day ,

Then the removal of Jump racing …the end game , animal charities will keep pressing , we are on the slippery slope now

Jockeys must strike to reclaim lost ground , if not racing is under a sentence , not just dilution but its very existence

We have no leadership , and soon we will have no punters , who will possibly bet on racing without whips cushioned or otherwise

Thats what is around the corner , to believe anything else is simply delusional

Perception is nothing , the tiny minority know how to pressure weak organisations

The question is where does that sit with forumites , be careful what you wish for , as it might just happen

cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.