The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Man U accept a £80m Madrid bid for Ronaldo

Home Forums General Sports Man U accept a £80m Madrid bid for Ronaldo

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

It looks like Ronaldo is joining the best league in the world. £80m is a heavy wad of dosh but he’s some player and Madrid are gonnae have some team !

I will have a good laugh at commenattors referring to the Premiership as "the best league in the world" next season. :lol:

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Do you think Real Madrid are worth a punt for next season’s Champions’ League ? :wink:

I get the impression they mean business.

Though, you have to wonder where they’ve suddenly found all that cash to splash out for two of the world’s best players. :?

As for Manchester United – losing Ronaldo might prove a blessing in disguise. A great player, yes, but I think his arrogance did not resonate too well with the other players, and some fans alike. His displays of petulance towards Fergie (and referees) may have been contrived, and could be taken as a sign that he wanted away from Old Trafford.

Already there is a suggestion that Man Utd will be weaker without him, but with an extra £80m in the Old Trafford coffers, I wouldn’t be getting too smug if I was a supporter of Chelsea, Liverpool, or even Manchester City just yet.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I beat you to it mate, i took 9/1 on them earlier for the EC. The problem is that they won’t win it if they don’t sort out their defence though, so there’s every chance Chelsea, Man U or Barca will take it.

As for finance, Madrid are Spains establishment club, tied in heavily with politics and Spanish society. They can basically take money from the Spanish banks who don’t pressure them back for the money. They also get massive ammount from tv revenue.

This article will explain things. It’s well worth a read.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ … 426983.ece

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Thanks for the info and an interesting link re. Times article.
    Good luck to Real, spending 80mill on Ronaldo is one hell of a gamble.
    Their financing might raise an eyebrow with any strict, regulating body – less open to commercial scruriny than the Premier League and more inclined to, ahem, behind closed door, dodgy political favouritism. I’m sure Michel Platini is. at this very moment, investigating the integrity of it all. But then again, perhaps not.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

But it has always been like that for Madrid.

Man Utd have reached the last 2 Champions League finals with the Glazier’s debt hanging over them. I don’t see why any one signing (or bunch of signings) is going to make all that much difference to Madrid.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

It might be beneficial to the likes of Rooney (allowed to play a more central role) Tevez (allowed to play) and Danny Wellbeck and that young Italian lad whos name I forget.
    I may be proved wrong, Ronaldo’s certainly an exceptional player, but I rather think this is a better sell than a buy.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

When Graeme stated that Ronaldo was joining the best league in the world then I assumed that Celtic had signed him :)

This makes good business sense for Man Utd and I think that it will benefit them in the long term ( unfortunately as I hate them ). Ronaldo is an excellent footballer but his arrogrance and petulance and cheating will not be missed in the Premiership.
    He may not do so well in Spain anyway as the standard of defending is superior there in my opinion. Also I watch quite a lot of spanish games on Sky and the gamesmanship there is a lot worse than it is in the Prem league so Ronaldo may not have things as easy as he expects.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I’m afraid not Cottage, i think it’s safe to say to say La Liga now dwarfs the SPL as the top league now that they have the worlds top players in Ronaldo, Messi and Kaka.

I must admit it will be easier arguing with Nigels who always say "ahhh but we play in the biggest league in the world and watch players like Ronaldo", now i can say "ahhh no you ain’t and no you won’t"

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

You have to take your hat off to the master…Sir Alex. He has played Real Madrid. He knows as well as everyone that Ronaldo’s heart is no longer in Manchester and he has flogged him to Madrid. And he knows with Tevez, Macheda, Wellbeck all hungry to fill his boots alongside Rooney and possibly Berbatov that £80m is good business. He can sign 3 or 4 world class players for that amount.

I am sure if Celtic had a manager in place then there bit of 80 buttons might have been accepted! :lol:

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Not surprising that the world cup winker has left for Madrid.

But let me just make it absolutely clear –

REAL MADRID HAVE NO CHANCE OF WINNING ANYTHING IN 2009-2010.

One word: defense!

…it is appalling. They are miles behind Barcelona and some of the other teams such as Valenica and Sevilla are catching them up.

Real always buy the Battlestar Galactica’s but they should concentrate on making a stronger unit, not purchasing fancy footwork (of the highest calibre, admittedly).

I wouldn’t back them to win a race to the fridge.

Zip

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Zip, who’s to say they won’t be buying any defenders. I based my ante post on them bringing in something at the back aswell.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Graeme, I may be wrong but I think its Real policy to not buy defenders. They certainly used to go by the mantra, buy the best attackers, rear there own defenders. Not sure if that still the case!

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I dunno, i imagine Cannavaro and Pepe weren’t that cheap. They’ve got a new manager in place, so we will see how things go. I have a preference for Barcelona, but 9/1 is a fair deal considering what Madrid are trying to do. I wouldn’t be suprised if they tried to get Vidic.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2183

Some right rubbish here i think

Man Utd are NOT better off withy 80m and no ronaldo. Hate him or loath him, he is a player who could only seriously be replaced by Messi at the present time

If the biggest club in Norway really aspires to be the very best, this is undoubtably a backward step

I would agree that Spain is a better league in my eyes but sneering by scots who find that young managers prefer Wigan to supposedly great club celtic…is alittle out of place

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I completely disagree that Spain is a superior league to the Premiership.

Granted, Barcelona won – but England had 3 teams in the semi finals and the other Spanish teams were well beaten.

It could be argued that Chelsea should have beaten Barcelona in their semi – referee etc. :wink:

And yes, Spain won the Euro Champs, but if you are talking about club footy, the premiership has more depth of quality.

Zip

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Is the Spanish League better than the Premier? Tough Call, both suffer (as does the SPL) from having limited competition at the top. There’s only really 2 likely champs in Spain and the SPL and maybe only 3 or 4 at most in the EPL.. (Still, if one wants an open title race to get you going, the rest of the English divisions fit the bill.)
    I wish I had the time to watch the live Spanish games on Sky, but sadly don’t.
    The majority of the top players in the world are at Spanish clubs ( albeit at just two clubs) and that’s likely to stay that way for the forseeable future, particulary now that our glorious unelected leader has introduced 50% level of income tax. But there’s an enormous wealth of top talent in the EPL, enough to make it the most exciting league, although, as I said, as I don’t really watch the Spanish games, I can’t judge.
    I hear Platini is supposed to have criticised the £80mill. fee, surprise surprise. He proves once again that, just because you’re good at playing a sport, it doesn’t mean you’re automatically as good at any other role in that sport. (Think good jockeys, bad TV pundits).

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

It is impossible to judge which is best…English Premier or La Liga. Yes the top teams clash year on year in the Champs League…but are the top clubs reflective of the rest of the teams in the leagues…in short NO.

The only way to tell would be to have one huge 40 team league running over two years, one home and one away game against every team and see who wins! Now that would be worth seeing lol.

Much depends on what style of footy you prefer. I have not seen much spanish football in last few years but I seem to remember it was far more technical, more passing and move, less long ball than in the english game.

Then again you have the Italian and German leagues which are not bad either.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.