The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Low sun. High time this nonsense stopped!

Home Forums Horse Racing Low sun. High time this nonsense stopped!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Yet again a load of hurdles and fences omitted at both Kelso and Cheltenham today!

Where is the evidence supporting the theory that horses find it more difficult to jump a fence or hurdle due to what jockeys perceive to be low sunlight?

Probably the finest example of the BHA being total empty heads! If I’d paid to go to either of these tracks I’d be looking for a refund! This ain’t jump racing!

I think it’s about time this was properly addressed and they start jumping all stated obstacles and see if they do indeed have more falls or unseats. How would they prove it’s low sun to blame though?

Boils my piss!

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 828

Its very annoying, I never understand why they dont start the fixtures earlier to avoid this. Its not like they dont know its a possibility..

Participant
    • Total Posts 1843

Was thinking much the same earlier, watching the hurdle race at Cheltenham. It happens season after season there; it’s not like it’s a recent problem.

Cant they have temporary sunblocking fences, that retract when not needed, at the ‘Best Mate Stand’ end of the course?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8952

The meeting at Aintree tomorrow has been notorious for omitted fences due to low sun in previous years. I am going there tomorrow, so I hope the sun stays in!

It is frustrating but the situation isn’t going to change in our modern health and safety culture. I expect racecourses are terrified of being sued.

Starting earlier would alleviate the problem but I expect the bookmakers would not want big meetings starting at 11am. And there is the logistics of stable staff and spectators travelling earlier.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.