The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lots of non runners again – Are 48 hour decs really worth it

Home Forums Horse Racing Lots of non runners again – Are 48 hour decs really worth it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

How much must racing be losing from punters backing all the non runners?

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

I am getting really fed up with multiple non-runners. I feel it’s a waste of time studying form for any race and trying to get value from an early bet, when a race can be reduced from say 10 to 7 runners and your e w bet at a longer price is only on 2 places.

I think a lot of trainers react too quickly to slight going changes and have you noticed how the later races at evening meetings always have lots of "nonners" – is it a case of trainers/owners wanting to leave early if it’s not a pleasant evening?

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

Times at Haydock are not even close to firm going.

Participant
    • Total Posts 899

This is yet another example of BHA’s total laxity in running the sport. No consideration is given to the punter that funds the majority of the whole of racing.

The ground has hardly changed from forecast going at all over the last 2 days.

There have been over 120 withdrawals:

85 because of "changes" in going- that did not actually change
    30 because of self certification – mostly for veterinary type reasons which could and should be certificated if they were genuine
    5 with veterinary certificates.

That is right – only 4% of withdrawals have a provable genuine reason. The BHA do not ever question the other 96% – this is total dereliction of their duty to racing

The self certificates (apparently self diagnosed without any veterinary certification)gave such reasons as:

not eaten up (4)
    bad scope (9)
    pulled shoe off
    temperature
    cut leg (3)
    colic
    knocked joint
    coughing (2)
    lame (3)
    other (1)
    travel
    in-season
    stiff
    heat in leg

Surely no trainer would not involve a vet for cases of colic, bad scope, temperature, coughing, lameness.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

The problem with that robert is that when you declare over 54 hours in advance of the race you may not know what the ground or weather will be on the day. You are not running the horse on the day you declare.

What will the weather do? Will it dry up? Will it rain? Will it be watered and then rain? As you may have no idea what the ground or weather may be on the day, you may as well declare and see on the day, especially if you’re allowed to.

Agree though the BHA is totally useless on the matter, from actually having the 48 hour decs in the first place to regularly allowing horses withdrawn to run the next day or two in an easier or more suitable race. Should be a blanket 6 day ban for any horse withdrawn.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Totally agree with other punters on this thread, these self-certs have got to be restricted.

This practice is basically driving me nuts as I’m frequently looking to bet on a race who’s shape has changed markedly from my initial study of it.

Mike

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Agree though the BHA is totally useless on the matter, from actually having the 48 hour decs in the first place to regularly allowing horses withdrawn to run the next day or two in an easier or more suitable race. Should be a blanket 6 day ban for any horse withdrawn.

Here is the relevant rule:

97.1 Rules 96.1 and 96.5 do not apply in any of the circumstances specified in Paragraphs 97.2 to 97.7.

97.2 In accordance with Paragraphs 5 to 7 of Schedule 7, the Trainer submits a satisfactory veterinary certificate to the Authority’s Office within 7 days of the race in which horse was declared to run,

97.3 Subject to paragraph 97.9, the Trainer informs The Racing Calendar Office without delay

97.3.1 by telephone, or
    97.3.2 through the Racing Administration Internet Site

that he has self-certified the horse as a non-runner, specifying the reason for it not running.

In such circumstances, the Authority will suspend the horse certified from running in future races in Great Britain for the period of 6 days starting with the day following the day of the race for which the horse was self-certified.

97.4 There is a change in the going on the day of the race from the going report which, on the day the horse was declared to run, was posted on the Racing Administration Internet Site or was available from the Clerk of the Course (or the Person nominated by him).

97.5 The Trainer considers the horse will be unsuited by the going, the horse is on the racecourse and its identity has been verified by a Veterinary Officer from its passport on the day of the race.

97.6 The Trainer, his representative or the Owner satisfies the Stewards on the day of the race that the failure of the horse to run was caused by other circumstances outside the reasonable control of the Trainer (or his representative) or the Owner.

97.7 The horse is prevented from running because the rider was not allowed, under Rule (B)22.6, to weigh out on account of the fact that certain sums due under these Rules remain unpaid.
    In such circumstances, a financial penalty of £140 shall instead be imposed on the Owner of the horse.

97.8 Except to the extent stated in Rule 98.4.3 or 99.4.3, this Rule does not apply in any case falling within Rule 98 or 99.

97.9 The use of self-certificates is not permitted where the reason for not running is related to prize money for the race except for where the prize money has altered after the time determined in accordance with Rule 89 for making declarations to run.

(Rule 98 and 99 referred to above allows first and second preference when a meeting is in doubt or entering a horse on both a Saturday and Sunday)

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I would add, on a purely selfish note, I love 48 hour decs as it gives me longer to prepare my racecards before a meeting.

The non-runners don’t worry me too much from a betting perspective as 95% of my bets nowadays are only decided after I see the horses in the parade ring and / or going to post.

But as I said that’s a purely personal, selfish, perspective and I can understand why others may well be frustrated.

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

A lot of the "He must have x ground." trainerspeak is homespun baloney anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 899

The problem with that robert is that when you declare over 54 hours in advance of the race you may not know what the ground or weather will be on the day. You are not running the horse on the day you declare.

What will the weather do? Will it dry up? Will it rain? Will it be watered and then rain? As you may have no idea what the ground or weather may be on the day, you may as well declare and see on the day, especially if you’re allowed to.

That is obvious but not what the rule states, and this week, for example, the ground has not changed significantly at all from declaration day to race day. Only two tracks were Good to firm, one Good-soft, all the rest Good, which incidentally should not harm any horse.

120 withdrawals is 10+ races worth of runners, which is nearly two meetings worth. It is scandalous inefficiency for those putting all the effort of organising meetings, let alone competitive racing that punters might wish to see and bet on. One of the more useful areas that Racing for Change should have concentrated on improving.

BHA Rule for withdrawal on going change grounds:

97.4 There is a change in the going on the day of the race from the going report which, on the day the horse was declared to run, was posted on the Racing Administration Internet Site or was available from the Clerk of the Course (or the Person nominated by him).

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It doesn’t help though when Clerks are so reluctant to admit to going changes.

I’m loath to single out any particular clerk but a prime example is Towcester on Friday.

The morning going report was Good. However it then rained persistently throughout the day.

When I arrived at the course just before 15:00 it was absolutely clear the going was not good. This is a photo I took of the ground after the final flight.

http://www.ors-racing.co.uk/Images/General/Towcester130524GroundSmall.jpg

The official going change was not announced until just after 17:20 but the galling point was the revised going stick reading was timed at 15:00.

As I say it’s, in a way, unfair to single out Towcester as there are many worse clerks but this one is recent in the memory.

Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

In this day and age there should be a BHA managed database / website providing historical racecourse going descriptions stats and trends.

All the information is there:

– Going descriptions from 5 day entry stage through to day of race
    – Watering policy
    – Non runners
    – Sectional Timing (If Only!!)
    – Rail Movements

It wouldn’t be that difficult for the BHA to identify which racecourses and trainers are taking the mickey and get on their case.

I’ve previously had some communication with the BHA on similar issues and the common theme was a "lack of funding". They simply don’t have the manpower to keep on top of this matter day in day out.

On that note why is the BHA HQ in central London where costs are so high? Wouldn’t they be better off in somewhere like Newmarket to reduce costs and enable funding to be used more effectively?

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Standby for mass destruction of another card!!

Nottingham today already has 13 non-runners, as I write. I live not too far away and yesterday it never stopped raining, so I would imagine, knowing that course, that if they had similar it will definitely be soft going today. At last week’s meeting they were pretty quick to change the going to good to soft after some rainfall.

Hold all bets the final fields will bear no resemblance to the card in this morning’s paper!!

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

Are 48 hour decs worth it? Here’s one hundred million reasons in support of them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/ja … ng.comment

What’s that you say? Where’s this 100m snarlers? I’m sure it’s somewhere, they don’t just make these figures up you know.

I think we can safely say that they don’t come from Hong Kong though, as their simulcasting of the July meeting last year proved something of a dead duck, with the primary reason for this, given by Wit, being the anarchic withdrawing of horses for spurious reasons in the run up to virtually every race.

Non-runners are kryptonite to exotic betting, which is the reason we can’t sell our racing abroad. A simple cut-off point for withdrawing horses without a provable excuse would help, but we don’t even have that.

It could be worse. They could have simulcast the Chester meeting on July Cup day, where a doubly declared horse trained by Scott Dixon, wasn’t officially withdrawn until 5 minutes before the start of the meeting. Good luck doing a placepot or jackpot or any sort of exotic bet with that sort of communication.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

3 non runners in the Lincoln because of 48 hour decs, 3 horses and their connections denied a run in the race and a further 3 denied a run in the Spring Mile. Other non runners throughout the card.

Wouldn’t have happened with 24 hour decs and may have even attracted further runners with the changed ground.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.