The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Oh, and the terminally wonderful Chesnut Annie is in at both Erw Lon on Saturday (where she’s won five times) and Howick on Sunday (where she’s won all five Ladies Opens to have taken place there since May 2007). I think she might want another week off after those Ffos Las exertions myself, though.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Mister Banjo,blooming ‘eck.

Wasn’t that trained by Paul Nicholls and owned by John Hales??

• Total Posts 4293

Just bought a pair of Wellington’s for Charing on Sunday. A bit tight around the calfs (sic), but I’m blaming that on 37 years cycling, rather than the fat.

Is there any point studying the form (if there is any), or do I just bet the jockey with the smallest/largest arrsse?

By the way bboobbeell, went to the station, and there are no engineering works in the area.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Just bought a pair of Wellington’s for Charing on Sunday. A bit tight around the calfs (sic), but I’m blaming that on 37 years cycling, rather than the fat.

Is there any point studying the form (if there is any), or do I just bet the jockey with the smallest/largest arrsse?

By the way bboobbeell, went to the station, and there are no engineering works in the area.

Follow Nick Pearce if he has any runners :)

I generally back whatever Gina Andrews rides each-way, can guarantee she’ll coax whatever she can out of the horse even though she’s not the strongest in a finish.

• Total Posts 4293

Thanks Martin.

Might not make it to the track, as I’ve heard there’s three pubs on the way from the train station.

Big G

• Total Posts 4293

Call me a soft, southern jessie, but I’ve decided that with all that wind and rain out there, I’m staying indoors today.

I’ll make up for it by going to Folkestone on Wednesday for the Kent national.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Charing off anyway Gerald according to Roo on Betfair :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I’d call you a very sensible Southern jessie, given that the meeting was called off 25 minutes ago.

In all, of the six meetings planned today, those at Charing, Corbridge, Howick and Kingston St Mary have been rained or snowed off. If you’re on your way to any of these, turn round! North Carlton and Chaddesley Corbett have survived, however.

HTH,

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 811

Chicuelo once a winner for Pipe/McCoy and now 14 years old won the Novice rider race at the Tanatside yesterday for the minute Lara Mahon – who couldn’t carry her saddle/weightcloth! Very spirited performance from the veteran – neck and neck over the last with the 7 years old No Virtue but Chicuelo stuck his neck out to win by 3/4 length

Gem1802
    • Total Posts 38

Weather Permitting won well at Ideford Arch, Devon yesterday in the colours of B Kilpatrick / MC Pipe. 8-1!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Chicuelo once a winner for Pipe/McCoy and now 14 years old won the Novice rider race at the Tanatside yesterday for the minute Lara Mahon – who couldn’t carry her saddle/weightcloth! Very spirited performance from the veteran – neck and neck over the last with the 7 years old No Virtue but Chicuelo stuck his neck out to win by 3/4 length

Phew. Glad to read that, having flagged Chicuelo as a winner of that race on Talking Point for weeks, only for the meeting to suffer repeat abandonments. Delighted the flame still burns for the old boy, and yes, what a splendid schoolmaster he’s been for the Mahon twins.

No superstars on show at the Ampton meeting I visited yesterday, but watching former Brendan Powell chaser Big Rob skip around the course as if carrying half of his actual 13 stone imposte in the Members was a joy to behold.

Caveman won his third consecutive Mens Open at the course, and I hope he’s back off to Towcester next, where he still owes me big time for tossing away victory up the run-in last season. Meh!

Riding performance of the meeting was Georgina Andrews’ double, though she took a mother and father of a fall in the concluding race and hobbled out of the ambulance very gingerly later. Possibly the worst fall she’s taken in a competitive race to date (none comparable spring to mind, anyway), and let’s hope it doesn’t plague her thoughts for too long as she’s too bright a prospect to be lost to confidence issues (in fairness, her deep upset afterwards was more attributable to her mount sustaining a serious injury in the incident). She’s unlikely to see any action until next weekend, in any event.

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Gutted about Flytomoscow Jeremy – had him down as one to follow having backed him last month at Godstone when he just ran out of stamina up the straight :(

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

And Fully Loaded won his 5th race of the campaign at Ideford under pilot number 2, Lucy. Hes some horse now considering he has a squiggle in the book and is described as one-paced!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Top stuff Jinny – is he 2 clear in the "most wins" listings now?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Looks with Fully Loaded like a case of being sweetened sufficiently by his two new partners this term. I wouldn’t presume to know how much it takes for Iain and Martin to rescind a squiggle or to suggest previous comments don’t currently apply, but the Greenway gelding is certainly arguing as compelling a case for reappraisal as anything this season.

Remains to be seen how much he still fancies it when returned to better company, as presumably he must once both Pugsley sisters have won themselves out of Novice Rider company. He was admittedly beaten back in Intermediate company at Chipley Park in January, but that doesn’t tell all the story as he had a lot to do after a tardy start.

One of the real success stories of another engaging season, all told.

gc

• Total Posts 811

Have a look here for a photo I took of Chicuelo at the last fence winning on Sunday. He’s a super old horse and hope to see him in the winners place again this season.
    http://www.pointtopoint.co.uk/go/news/t … _2010.html

Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

The first point-to-point of the year in the US is this Saturday! It’s at Airlie in Warrenton, VA, and there’s a few names that some of you might recognize. http://www.centralentryoffice.com/Annua … rnight.pdf Bow Strada, Music To My Ears, and Kilbreena were hard-knocking handicapchasers in ancient history. Spy in the Sky, winner of the G1 NY Turf Writer’s Handicap last year, is starting the season with a novice flat race as a tune-up. Note that many horses are crossed entered, and several will scratch or switch riders closer to raceday. Some races will have to be combined or split.
    The huge snowstorms last month have wreaked havoc on the whole jumps schedule, but I think overall it’ll be a nice year.

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.