The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 4 posts - 375 through 378 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

might be given plenty to do by some little horse you might have heard of called

Junior

. Still in the care of the Middleham Park Racing Club, Nicky Tinkler now trains this grand old dual-purpose performer.

I’d pay good money to see him at Overton…….the old rogue that he is :D

Junior

turned out last Sunday at Sheriff Hutton (the Easterbys’ track) instead; and although eventually a comfortable enough winner of a strongish Mens Open didn’t go about his business with the optimum degree of willing.

In particular, the presence of fellow pace influence Realt Ag Leimt for the first 2m4f really narked him (to the extent that he considered a nap to the box parks after one circuit), which wouldn’t augur well if he did wind up in the Foxhunter, where the early lead is seldom easily gained.

Backers last Sunday had Richard Smith to thank for the victory, of that there is little doubt. The contortions he had to perform in the saddle all the way round just to keep the blessed animal going were a sight to behold.

Briefly back to Realt Ag Leimt; his exertions eventually told and a 32l fifth place finish was the consequence of that, but he outjumped Junior throughout and trainer-rider Dale Peters was thrilled with the effort on his own mount’s respective seasonal bow. Sub-3m hunter chases on right-hand courses and dryish surfaces are going to be targeted now, in particular any such at Ludlow. If he gets a freebie out in front in one of those around there, he may yet reward backers at likely respectable odds.

The other big ex-Rules name to go in last weekend was the ex-David Pipe

Consigliere

, now owned and trained by Alan Hill and a winner of a good Mens Open at Ampton last Sunday. Penmore Mill and Doctor Kingsley well held! Anything that can jump around Ampton or Horseheath cleanly has proven it can jump downhill fences cleanly, which would augur well if a Cheltenham tilt is being considered (knowing the connections, it might well be).

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 15029

Delighted to see that Junior won gc………..and I’m even more delighted to hear that he’s still a bit of a monkey :D

Great to hear as well about another old favourite, Consigliere. I’d love to see him go for The Foxhunter, if they do go that route.

• Total Posts 15029

Good day at Overton Farm on Saturday, and a pleasant change not to watch the action in a blizzard. Sun was out, and it was packed.

A few familiar names on show. Belon Gale, who once took in the Eider, and the formerly very decent Drill Sergeant, who famously downed tools under McCoy at Haydock, before miraculously winning, found the former Willie Mullins inmate, Some Target, too good for them. Some Target, who finished just out the frame in The Cross Country at The Festival, won by Chicago Grey, and 6th behind On His Own in the 2012 Theyestes, paid for my day……………aftertiming is allowed on this thread I think :yahoo:

In the next I went with Ballyvesey, who took in The Becher Chase 3 times, just in preference to the former JP owned Sea Wall………..but was to no avail, as Rossinis Dancer, who was a decent horse up north, both over sticks, and on the level, turned out to be the easiest winner of the day.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Darn it; there’s a point to point at Berwick next weekend but we’re back darn sarth. Lots of horseboxes around yesterday on the A 1 so wonder if we missed one [mind you we had to pack and travel yesterday so wouldn’t have been able to go].

Viewing 4 posts - 375 through 378 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.