The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    no idea
    • Total Posts 684

Hi GC

Many thanks for your excellent reply.

I do really enjoy watching the hunter chases at the regular tracks, the Aintree’s Ascot’s etc etc on the TV

Unfortunately living in the Channel Islands I can’t attend any hunter chase meetings but remember in my youth when living in the UK attending Flagg Moor in the Peak District over the stone walls. Some spectacle.

Temps passe as they say in these parts

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Mr

Gaz’s Way De Solzen

of this parish may be interested to learn that a certain former Cheltenham Festival winner De Solzen is back in action De Solzen, having turned out at Garthorpe De Solzen on Saturday just gone De Solzen and wazzed up under Leo Mahon De Solzen. He’s likely to be aimed at the Aintree Fox Hunters De Solzen.

Shame I can’t remember the horse’s name just now. 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Marsh
    • Total Posts 92

I am seething that this dastardly trainer is getting my hopes up by entering the horse in the race.

Will probably do what he did last year by not declaring him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

As far as I can make out the intention is as it was last year – to run at Aintree if the ground permits.

Notably, Gabe Mahon has ignored virtually the entire Bank Holiday programme of Pointing where entering up MWDS is concerned, with just a solitary entry placed for the gelding in the mixed open at Upton-on-Severn on Easter Tuesday.

That’s smart thinking by Mr Mahon – it means that MWDS will be more or less as race-fit whichever option he takes (if either), and he can leave the decision on whether to point his charge at Aintree over Upton until virtually an hour before the time of the Upton mixed if he so chooses.

Upton, an oustanding old line which has been in constant use since 1909 (I think only Flagg Moor can top it in terms of longevity, but I’ve not got the

Annual

in front of me to verify), provides a long, galloping test that MWDS adores, as evidenced by him making all to win a club event there two years ago tomorrow on his Pointing debut.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

MWDS removed from the Aintree entry at today’s six-day declaration stage. Looks like it’s Upton next week for him, then, if it’s anywhere.

gc

• Total Posts 433

I see that MWDS has been reinstated in the entries for Aintree foxhunters

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Indeed yes – and with the in-form Will Biddick (miles clear in this year’s national men’s title between the flags, and fresh from riding a four-timer at Trebudannon on Monday) booked to ride.

Can’t help thinking the recent rain, plus the limited amount of time for the old turf to dry out back to good between now and tomorrow, has helped tip the decision Aintree-wards. Certainly the gelding passed up on the aforementioned alternative entry at Upton-on-Severn yesterday.

gc

Marsh
    • Total Posts 92

Looking forward to seeing MWDS tomorrow, a pleasure to see him back on TV again

• Total Posts 811

I’m going and looking forward to seeing him!

• Total Posts 811

MWDS jumped superbly and I have a nice photo of him way up over the water – I’ll try and figure out how to post it here!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Agreed – a strongly run 2m6f around a big Rules track looks a bit much for him nowadays on yesterday’s evidence, but goodness me he jumped delightfully and gave every impression of enjoying himself.

If the going permits it, I imagine Gabe Mahon might find a small club or conditions race for him before the end of the Pointing season just to give him a nice send-off to the season. Coldharbour over the early May Bank Holiday weekend is as likely as any on previous evidence, assuming it’s not gone good to firm by then.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Sure enough, My Way De Solzen turned out over the Bank Holiday weekend just gone – albeit at Holnicote, as the Coldharbour fixture was postponed due to waterlogging (rescheduled for this Saturday).

Holnicote’s undulating teardrop-shaped course wouldn’t have suited him half as well as the two straights at Coldharbour, for all that the going was perfect. Even then, he might have been claimed by a couple of modest rivals over either of the final two fences had they not come down independently, so this victory cannot number among his best ones in Points. Maybe a bit soon after Aintree, in retrospect?

gc

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

……..going off at a tangent, gc but will you give Chief Dan George a huge clap and a cheer from me when he parades at Cartmel in June, as I’m sure you’ll be there!

• Total Posts 15029

Not too many star names on show at Overton Farm today, but was good to see Joueur D’Estruval, still going strong at 16. Ex Willie Mullins trained, won at The Punchestown Festival in 2006, and used to mix it with some very decent sorts. 16yo but just ran out of it by Sotovik, who’s been a regular round the Northern tracks for a few years now, and at 12, had youth on his side against old Joueur.

Good day out………….bar the weather :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Still a grand beast in the right grade, VtC, where "right grade" equals some of the weaker Ladies’ Opens on the Northern circuit.

Never quite fathomed why the very best Open horses in the Northern Aread tend to be kept away from Overton – maybe it’s just that there’s just an embarrassment of riches in terms of outstanding courses elsewhere in the Area rather than anything being especially wrong with Willie Young’s venue.

Either way, I suspect Joueur D’Estruval couldn’t care less. He likes it there, and he continues to be a rewarding old partner for Siobhan Doolan, granddaughter of Wilf Storey.

gc

• Total Posts 15029

Yeah gc, he still looked the part, hopefully see him there again at the end of the month, and I’ll see him get his head in front.

Course looked in great nick the other day, fingers crossed it gets better weather at the end of the month, so Willie Young gets the turnout he deserves.

mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Anyone know how the wonderful Lough Derg got on today at Lockinge??

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.