The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Gareth,

North Carlton’s meetings for 2010 are confirmed as Sunday, 31st January and Sunday, 28th February. I know I won’t be at the first one, as it clashes with the inaugural meeting at the brand new Whitcliffe Grange course near Ripon. Bottom line is that it’s back and apparently secure at this location for the foreseeable, at least.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 2440

Thanks Jezza, hope you are well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Do you know when their are any meetings on in East Sussex?

Yep. There’s actually only the one Pointing course in East Sussex at present, and that’s Catsfield, near Bexhill – they race there on Sunday, 18th April.

If you’d like to cast your net wider, these are the other meetings for 2010 in the immediately neighbouring counties;

Sun 31/01/10 Detling (Kent)
    Sun 14/02/10 Godstone (Surrey)
    Sun 28/02/10 Charing (Kent)
    Sun 07/03/10 Godstone
    Sat 13/03/10 Parham (West Sussex)
    Sat 20/03/10 Detling
    Sun 28/03/10 Penshurst (Kent)
    Sat 03/04/10 Charing
    Mon 05/04/10 Aldington (Kent)
    Sun 11/04/10 Godstone
    Sat 24/04/10 Penshurst
    Sat 08/05/10 Peper Harow (Surrey)

Hope this helps!

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 2184

a point to point at some place called Ballybunion, which could be in China for all I know.

Stunning part of the Kingdom of Kerry. Home of one of the finest Links Golf Courses in the world. Only a short fifteen minute drive from the racecourse at Listowel.

• Total Posts 811

All the Pointing info can be found here:
    http://www.pointtopoint.co.uk
    and here:
    http://www.jumpingforfun.co.uk

PS Hopefully Cappa Bleu will prove to be a very good horse in the future.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

a point to point at some place called Ballybunion, which could be in China for all I know.

Stunning part of the Kingdom of Kerry. Home of one of the finest Links Golf Courses in the world. Only a short fifteen minute drive from the racecourse at Listowel.

So I was right it is in China :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

All the Pointing info can be found here:
    http://www.pointtopoint.co.uk
    and here:
    http://www.jumpingforfun.co.uk

PS Hopefully Cappa Bleu will prove to be a very good horse in the future.

Am I right in saying they are talking about running him over hurdles to give him more jumping experience? Seems a odd thing to be doing with a winner of the Foxhunters

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

I’m hoping to get to a few of those points in the South East now I’m based down here.
    (Already made a note of that list a few weeks back Jeremy).

They don’t seem too bad to get to via public transport either which helps.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Indeed not, GD – Charing in particular is a doddle, as BBobbell will confirm!

gc

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Frankly I object too seeing winning pointers against unraced horses in maidens under rules as they are not maidens, point to point fences are barley taler than a fixed brush hurdles…

I disklike seeing licenced trainers running horses in the "fox hunters ( this race needs renaming too the drag hunters, or amatures gold salver" its meant too be for the amatures so why are professional rules trainers should not be allowed too have runners as it defeats the object of the exercise. IE to give the grass roots pointing crowd their ticket too the big festivals.

Running jaded jumpers in points, talk about flogging a dead horse..

• Total Posts 811

RE: Running jaded jumpers in points, talk about flogging a dead horse…

Actually many of them get rejuvenated by hunting and being in smaller yards and enjoy a go at pointing – also act as schoolmasters for riders starting off – it’s nice to see them doing something and being cared for.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Cool stuff Jeremy. Nadover jumped out at me! Seems like yesterday he ran a cracker in a cross country against Garde at Chelters. You may remember it was a race that caused quite a stir on the forum :wink: ….apologies on a post card please :lol:

As a matter of interest, is there a specific website where you can follow the progress and get the point to point results?

Fist, there is also the excellent free site, Jumping For Fun. This has links to all the area sites, photos, and a really lively discussion forum.

By the way I am planning to go to Cottenham on Monday, though relying on public transport on a Sunday service means I am cutting it fine for the 11am first race.

News for Ten Plus from the Jumping For Fun site that Chaddesley are cautiously optimistic of racing but have brought the first forward to 11am due to the size of the entry.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’ll be at Cottenham on Monday for the 11am start. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 21/2 mile maiden splits (like at the opening meeting here earlier this month) and we get 8 races on the day.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Indeed not, GD – Charing in particular is a doddle, as BBobbell will confirm!

gc

Absolutely, my good friend. For those who are interested in going to Charing which is a lovely course with great viewing. Just get the train from victoria via Maidstone to Charing station or one stop from Ashford international. Walk a hundred yards to the main road, cross at the lights, turn left and just keep walking back along the main road to the roundabout five minutes should do it. The track is in front of you, turn right, cross the road and the foot gate is in the hedge about another hundred yards or so away. The car gate is just a wee bit further up the road.

Best view is on the bank by the number board, at least that is where I watch from.

The Detling March Saturday meeting is easy because the 333 bus will drop you at the end of the lane leading to the course, but I don’t think it stops there on a Sunday (i’m planning to go to horseheath the day before). Just watch it crossing the main road coming back.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

I’ll be at Cottenham on Monday for the 11am start. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 21/2 mile maiden splits (like at the opening meeting here earlier this month) and we get 8 races on the day.

Look out for a little fat bloke, probably puffing a bit from the walk from the bus stop, grey anorak type coat, green waxed cap, red rucksack with black trim, glasses and moustache. That’s me, say hello wont you?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

GC – suprised that Lee Gap Fair didn’t make your list :wink:

I met his owner at Auteuil and Enghien last year – been looking to see when he was likely to be running :)

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

His owner is Ray Newby – an East Anglian legend – who puts the results up on pointingea etc. A mad enthusiast this is his second horse and is coming back from injury. His nickname (the horse – not Ray) is Shrek!

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.