The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Didn’t get to either course in the end on account of workload, but I can confirm My Way De Solzen did turn out at Upton-on-Severn today.

And he won.

I’ve no further details yet as to how well he won, but the starting price of 3-1 looked pretty generous for a horse of his achievements, notwithstanding health and form setbacks latterly. The 6-4 favourite, Niver Bai, has won three points and is a fair tool in that sphere, but was 0-7 in bumpers / over hurdles for Hen Knight and never jumped a fence under Rules!

An early heads-up of interesting horses in this weekend’s pointing entries has to include Afrad, half-brother of Afsoun, a former Goodwood Stakes winner and capable of high 130s-rated form over hurdles and fences.

If contesting the Mens Open at Horseheath on Saturday, it will be his first outing since the 2007 Cesarewitch. The one they’d all have to beat would be Cheltenham Foxhunter third Reach For The Top, though one would suspect the lure of the Aintree equivalent two days earlier is likely to prove the more seductive. Pffft.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 811

Chabrimal Minster

– useful chaser – Cartmel winner – none the worse for his fall on Saturday when leading in the Ladies Vale of Lune turned out today at Flagg and won the Ladies Open for owner/trainer Richard Ford.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

A splendid effort, that, from a horse who was retired straight after winning his third Grand Veterans Chase at Cartmel last May.

I’d not be at all surprised if it transpired he hadn’t taken to being retired and almost forced connections’ hands into putting him back in training; equally I’d not be surprised to see him return to his beloved Cartmel again in May after this effort.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Five Seven Live at Tweseldon this weekend in the ladies along with his stable companion Shouldawouldacoulda

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Not got the Weekender yet but is Mid Div entered in the Ladies Open Jeremy?

Thanks

Martin

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Aye, Martin, Mid Div And Creep is in the Ladies Open entry for Horseheath on Saturday. Victory would be her seventh over C&D all told.

The only real concern would be whether this comes too soon after her outing at Marks Tey on Easter Monday, but having been present at that particular meeting I’d suggest that she’s probably had more strenuous workouts at home than she did there.

Old rival King Du Berlais is probably the one likeliest to capitalise if she’s below par or absent.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Five Seven Live at Tweseldon this weekend in the ladies along with his stable companion Shouldawouldacoulda

Might be working at that meeting, Roddy (one of a couple I could yet end up at) – will try to say hello and good luck if I’m there. Very best of luck in any event, of course!

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Aye, Martin, Mid Div And Creep is in the Ladies Open entry for Horseheath on Saturday. Victory would be her seventh over C&D all told.

The only real concern would be whether this comes too soon after her outing at Marks Tey on Easter Monday, but having been present at that particular meeting I’d suggest that she’s probably had more strenuous workouts at home than she did there.

Old rival King Du Berlais is probably the one likeliest to capitalise if she’s below par or absent.

gc

Thanks Jeremy – they took each other on in January and KDB was no match for Mid Div though it looked to me like he’d improve for the run.

Wish I could go – lovely course with them galloping along the skyline and hopefully another win for MDAC and Kelly Smith.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Can anyone confirm that Chesnut Annie is ok after being brought down at Cheltenham? I’m pretty sure she is, but noticed that she’s not running at Aintree.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

It looks like Beth and Hannah Roberts have gone back to campaigning our favourite little mare in points after her Cheltenham mishap.

Chesnut Annie turned out in the South Pembrokeshire Ladies Open at Lydstep on Easter Monday at her customarily prohibitive odds (1-5f this time) and, I’m delighted to say, murdered seven rivals by 15l and more as if nothing had ever happened to her at HQ.

Her bid for a 21st win in points may not be too long in coming. The West Wales Area Club meeting back at Lydstep, abandoned in January, takes place this Sunday instead now, and she’s got an entry in the Mixed Open there.

Failing that, the rescheduled Monmouthshire meeting at Llanvapley, postponed from Easter Saturday, will hopefully go ahead a week today instead – she’s among the Ladies Open line-up for that, too.

Llanvapley is the last of a dying breed in points, still containing as it does a half-mile section of ploughed earth from the last fence into the back straight. Apart from the small woodchip stretch under the plantation at Laleston and several sand crossings at Wadebridge, I can’t think of anything remotely comparable in points nowadays.

Film footage of Annie in Welsh points is as rare as hen’s teeth, but subscribers to Weatherbys Chase’s

Viewpoint

service can see her win at Llanvapley last year. I say "win", but "contemptuous dismissal of rivals" would be more accurate. 8)

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Thanks Jeremy – they took each other on in January and KDB was no match for Mid Div though it looked to me like he’d improve for the run.

…And indeed he did – his victory at Marks Tey comprised the only time Mid Div And Creep has had her colours lowered so far this term. The mare’s been in charge in their subsequent clashes, even away from Horseheath.

gc

Robert Gibbs
    Participant
    • Total Posts 325

Moehat

Chesnut Annie won the ladies open at Lydstep at the weekend, so all appears to be well with her

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Pleased to hear it; thanks!

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Might be working at that meeting, Roddy (one of a couple I could yet end up at) – will try to say hello and good luck if I’m there. Very best of luck in any event, of course!

gc

Would have liked this GC but looks as if I am taking two of my boys to the County rugby . We`ll meet soon though.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

After a most enjoyable – and well attended meeting at Higham on Saturday – I’ve got fingers crossed for a similar experience at Horseheath on Saturday. Let me know if you’re planning to attend.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

Moehat

Chesnut Annie won the ladies open at Lydstep at the weekend, so all appears to be well with her

That’s very good news, thank you

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

An early heads-up of interesting horses in this weekend’s pointing entries has to include Afrad, half-brother of Afsoun, a former Goodwood Stakes winner and capable of high 130s-rated form over hurdles and fences.

If contesting the Mens Open at Horseheath on Saturday, it will be his first outing since the 2007 Cesarewitch. The one they’d all have to beat would be Cheltenham Foxhunter third Reach For The Top, though one would suspect the lure of the Aintree equivalent two days earlier is likely to prove the more seductive. Pffft.

gc

Oooh, I wondered where he’d gone. But he’s TINY, I remember seeing him paraded next to Afsoun at Seven Barrows and I could barely imagine him getting over a hurdle, let alone a fence, and certainly not carrying big weights!

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.