The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Should it interest, here are a few old Rules chums that are scheduled to reappear in point-to-points this coming Monday the 28th – just in case you were wondering why you haven’t heard from them so far this winter;

COTTENHAM (Cambridgeshire)
    =========================
    Billyvoddan
    Cedrus Libani (already a winner here this season)
    Locksmith
    Nadover
    Super Lord
    Presenting Express
    Full House (yes, the former Ascot Stakes winner!)
    Petit Lord
    Montevideo

CHADDESLEY CORBETT (Worcestershire)
    ===================================
    Bon Accord (first run in 20 months)
    Burntoakboy
    Petit Lord
    Saintsaire
    Cedrus Libani
    Distant Thunder
    Billyvoddan
    Florida Dream
    Roulez Cool

IDEFORD ARCH (Devon)
    ====================
    Minella Tipperary
    Polinamix

Additionally, Alnwick a fortnight ago witnessed the pointing debuts of 2006 Rowland Meyrick hero Leading Man and infamous corner-cutting Cheltenham cross-country winner Dix Villez. Looks like there could be plenty of above average types seen between the flags this winter on this evidence, assuming they retain enough of their old class!

Have an enjoyable day out if you’re tempted to head for any of the above venues – can’t speak for Ideford Arch, but the other two are very good viewing tracks and friendly places to be.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Is UK point to pointing more of a seniors tour than anything else GC? I don’t know much about it, but it seems very few young UK pointers make it into the big league under rules. Is it partly a reason why so many UK trainers go to Ireland or France to source their NH horses?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Cool stuff Jeremy. Nadover jumped out at me! Seems like yesterday he ran a cracker in a cross country against Garde at Chelters. You may remember it was a race that caused quite a stir on the forum :wink: ….apologies on a post card please :lol:

As a matter of interest, is there a specific website where you can follow the progress and get the point to point results?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

What a lovely nostalgic read that list is.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I remember being quite convinced that Locksmith would win a Paddy Power Gold Cup.

:oops:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Is UK point to pointing more of a seniors tour than anything else GC? I don’t know much about it, but it seems very few young UK pointers make it into the big league under rules. Is it partly a reason why so many UK trainers go to Ireland or France to source their NH horses?

I find it near impossible to access them when they arrive here.

Most of them that have won a ptp end up huge prices in novice hurdles or bumpers and can be ignored but not all.

There was one on Monday and I sat there wondering whether to back it or not as the money poured on from about 12;s to 5’s. But the only thing I had to go on is it had won (5/4) a point to point at some place called Ballybunion, which could be in China for all I know.

I opted out and backed something else and the point to pointer Adams Island won like it was the next Nijinsky.

It’s times like that you could kick yourself for not taking an interest.

Betya that Jeremy knew but thought ‘I’m not telling that bunch of scruff" :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I remember being quite convinced that Locksmith would win a Paddy Power Gold Cup.

:oops:

No Grassy you were stoned! Don’t you remember? what you said is you knew a locksmith who could steal the PP Gold Cup :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Is UK point to pointing more of a seniors tour than anything else GC? I don’t know much about it, but it seems very few young UK pointers make it into the big league under rules.

It’s not the hotbed of decent future Rules talent it may have been, granted, but it’s still some way from being the Numbered Days Resting Home some detractors would have you believe.

Many of the animals listed above are still only rising nine or ten, and the purpose of the list was far more to highlight those you may have forgotten about – and / or remember(ed) fondly – as I know lots of people like to hear about their faves returning year on year in whatever sphere of racing.

(Note to self: expect kicking from Zome for forgetting to include Mnason in the Cottenham list, and from Zoz for omitting Chesnut Annie. Eeek! 8) )

Maiden horses, and mostly seven and under, still provide the majority of pointing entries over here (165 out of 455 (36%) next week alone), and once we get to Barbury Racecourse and Larkhill next month you’ll start to see the really good prospects sent out by the likes of Richard Barber. The only one that’s really excited me so far this season (only seven meetings in) is Tay Jay Vay, a four-year-old belonging to the Waley-Cohens who’s a half-sister to their Grade 2 winner Shatabdi and due to run at Chaddesley next week.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

As a matter of interest, is there a specific website where you can follow the progress and get the point to point results?

Weatherbys Chase’s own http://www.pointtopoint.co.uk site is the first stop on t’internet for all things UK pointing, though some parts of it require a subscription to be viewed before the wider world can (i.e. to be able to view entries before they appear in the Weekender).

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

it had won (5/4) a point to point at some place called Ballybunion, which could be in China for all I know.

That’s an Irish venue, so http://www.p2p.ie would hopefully have been able to fill in some of the blanks for you.

gc

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Many thanks!

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

CR, don’t forget that the promising Cappa Bleu was plying his trade around the East Anglian point to points before winning the Cheltenham Foxhunters in March and going under rules.

Pointing is a good place for the youngsters to start and the veterans to finish.

GC – suprised that Lee Gap Fair didn’t make your list :wink:

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Unfortunately for Cappa Blue, his period of being promising didn’t last too long!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

GC – suprised that Lee Gap Fair didn’t make your list :wink:

Aye, or Monkerty Tunkerty! There’ll be harsh words… :mrgreen:

gc

• Total Posts 811

Weather permitting I’ll be at the Harkaway (Chaddesley) and will take note of any of these who do run.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Do you know when their are any meetings on in East Sussex?

• Total Posts 2440

GC.

Have you heard anything more about North Carlton? ? ?

Thanks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.