The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Local Council Elections

Home Forums Lounge Local Council Elections

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

The soon Labour are out the better imo.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Charles Clarke just sacked – a week too late I’m afraid.

FSL – just who do you propose replacing Labour with then?

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

At the moment I think any of the parties could do a better job. In the long term I’d be happy to give the Conservatives a chance.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5864

Great to to see "voters" finally waking-up to these charlatans.

Regards- Matron<br>:cool:<br>

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

2nd raters all of them – and that’s probably flattering them. What a pity the opposition have been (and suggest might continue to be) 3rd rate.

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Clarke would have been sacked a while ago but Blair, obviously realising they were going to get a pasting, waited for obvious reasons: –

a) Detract attention from said pasting

and

b) "Look – we’re doing something about it"

Lee

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Conservatives all the way :biggrin: In fact I’m sure it was my campaigning that got them Pinhoe in Exeter.:cool:

Having said that I’m not the biggest fan of Cameron and wasn’t expecting them to do so well, but after the latest Labour debacle then it’s not altogether surprising.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

98% for Tories EC

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Iraq is the only issue that seperates any of the main three parties. On almost every other question, they take the same, right of centre, middle-class, pro-big business moralising line and use the same vacuous management speak to obscure their lack of substance.

The Conservatives will eventually crawl back into power by default – yesterday’s results are in no way surprising, indeed, if the government had not got a local election pasting after nine years then it would have been a dreadful Tory performance.

The only ‘alternatives’ are Respect or the BNP, both repellant. I voted Green at the last election rather than not voting at all. They were the least worst option. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

EC I am a "young folk"

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

I am a "young folk" too and as an active committee member of the Conservative Future on my Uni campus, I have to say I have a solid interest in politics.

Then again I have since I was little as my parents have always been into it. There is scummy carry on everywhere in life but it’s no reason to abstain from voting and whinge about it. If people are that bothered about the lack of choice etc then they should maybe get off their backsides and do something about it themselves. (OK I’ll admit it’s not always a practical option but people not voting in protest is hardly going to help IMO).

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

EC.

You dont work in the House of Commons do you?

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

EC – Since being at University I’ve found more politically minded people. As well as the young Tories I know, some of my other friends voted Lib Dem and other parties in the last election and at least have a decent grasp of politics.

However the average young person I know from back home, relatives etc, have probably never heard of Gordon Brown let alone anyone else. One of my surfer-chick friends from Newquay was asking me who to vote for in the last General Election because she said she didn’t know the names of the Parties or what they meant. Overall she said it was boring complicated stuff and she didn’t care, and she’s not unintelligent either!

It’s easy to become disillusioned with politicians and politics, perhaps, but I think the topic of how a country is run is one of the most important there is and mass apathy could result in all manner of things.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

<br> :old:

Is the wig party still about ?

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

The w(h)igs have gone underground. Michael Fabricant MP is their leader, but Wogan funds them heavily

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.