The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Littledodayno

Home Forums Horse Racing Littledodayno

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

"Slowly into stride, held up in rear, steady headway over 1f out, never in contention (jockey said, regarding running and riding, his orders were to get the filly settled and get it to finish adding that he dropped it out to get it relaxed and was off the bridle (never) about 3 1/2 f out, tending to run in snatches, they were denied a clear run inside 2f mark, and finished on the bridle"<br>RP Form.

Did you see the same horse today, nearly identical of what you read above. Having spotted him last time as a blatant non trier,and wigham was sending him all the way to Catterick, I thought this was the day so lumped on morning price, best available 8/1, opens tens and drifts to 16/1, I new my faith before they they jumped out of the stalls, surprise,surprise, the horse was slowly away and finished on the bridle, I hope the stewards ban the horse for the mandatory 40 days as I couldn’t care less now, I don’t want the crooked b-astard to land the touch he is planning. He tried it last year on the same horse, nearly worked, finished 2nd after meeting all sorts of trouble, did win next time but the price wasn’t what it was when the money was down.

(Edited by madman marz at 7:28 pm on June 8, 2007)

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

aah, but had you landed the touch the crooked b*****d
    is allegedly planning, today – you would have congratulated yourself for spotting it, last time and this time

you cannot have it both ways – or any way sometimes – and i for one would laugh my b*****ks
    off if every crooked touch came unstuck for all concerned, not that that is possible

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Talk about double standards.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from heffo on 8:09 pm on June 8, 2007[br]Talk about double standards.

Not double standards, just race reading guys, but reading a crooked b-astards mind like wighams, well I dont have psychic powers, just took a chance.<br>I wouldn’t mind I have wigham as one of my trainers to avoid, couldn’t help myself though.

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

understand the race reading mm, but experience has told us trying to read minds is a poor betting tool – you then committed the ultimate punting sin of backing something you normally avoid :o

i’ve done it many a time, alcohol is a great principle weakener :(

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from sberry on 8:46 pm on June 8, 2007[br]understand the race reading mm, but experience has told us trying to read minds is a poor betting tool – you then committed the ultimate punting sin of backing something you normally avoid :o

i’ve done it many a time, alcohol is a great principle weakener :(

How did you know I had consumed a few beverages, Sberry ??

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

One day, mm, you will be able to avoid the temptation of betting on an iffy trainer/owner/jockey combination.<br>You will have analysed (or heard a whisper), and know that today is the going day. The price will be favourable (inside money hasn’t shortened the odds) but you will ignore and simply watch, assuming you are at the track.<br>If they triumph, look away from their smug smiles and their swagger as they move away; if they don’t, then take satisfaction that those who besmirch the wonderful sport of horse racing have lost a packet.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from Nor1 on 9:19 pm on June 8, 2007[br]One day, mm, you will be able to avoid the temptation of betting on an iffy trainer/owner/jockey combination.<br>You will have analysed (or heard a whisper), and know that today is the going day. The price will be favourable (inside money hasn’t shortened the odds) but you will ignore and simply watch, assuming you are at the track.<br>If they triumph, look away from their smug smiles and their swagger as they move away; if they don’t, then take satisfaction that those who besmirch the wonderful sport of horse racing have lost a packet.

Well said Nor1 !

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

5f on a sharp track was never going to be the day though surely. Agree that the ride was again eye catching!

absolution
    • Total Posts 214

Wigham is one of many trainers with moderate horses and the only way they can hope to make it pay is to try and aim at a gamble at the right time – he is by no means the only trainer to do this and imo absolutely no harm or guilt involved – nobody forces you to back his horses ;)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from absolution on 7:49 pm on June 9, 2007[br]Wigham is one of many trainers with moderate horses and the only way they can hope to make it pay is to try and aim at a gamble at the right time – he is by no means the only trainer to do this and imo absolutely no harm or guilt involved – nobody forces you to back his horses ;)

So cheating is OK,<br>Or should we give them absolution ?????

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

mm

It happens all the time and, in its various guises, at all levels.<br>Curse the Wigham’s, Curley’s and Prescott’s as much as you like, their greatest sin is being more transparent than many others.<br>John Dunlop was preparing handicappers over inadequate trips long before Sir Mark even had a licence, Reg Akehurst was landing monster touches when Barney was still in short pants, and Barry Hills set himself up as a trainer on the strength of a Lincoln gamble when Wigham was still learning to ride.<br>It has happened for centuries too, and isn’t going to change overnight, so the simple choice is learn to live with it or withdraw. Maybe not the choice you want, but you need to accept it is all you have.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Trying to second guess what trainers are doing is a pointless exercise unless, of course, you enjoy being frustrated and then having a grump about it. Even if they tell you what they are doing, you still cannot be sure that they are not putting you away.

The consistent approach is to assume that a trainer is running his or her horses on their merits or leave their horses alone altogether. This eliminates all conspiracy theories from your thoughts and allows you to concentrate on what is in the form book. If a horse is given a ‘poor’ ride or starts slowly or does anything else questionable, you will not start thinking that there is a rabbit away, but merely shrug your shoulders and move on. C’est la vie. No bitching. Leave it to the authorities to sort out the cheaters.

If you like having a moan, or need something to discuss to pass away the time in the pub or betting office, disregard the above.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.