The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lingfield Friday – An Owners Tale

Home Forums Horse Racing Lingfield Friday – An Owners Tale

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3214

This meeting has been switched from Great Leighs, where I’d intended to run Salute in the 2M handicap. Initially, the trainer and I decided to skip Lingfield as the horse hasn’t looked at home there in the past. But at 11:00 last Saturday, an hour before entries closed, there were only 6 horses entered, so I made an entry to give us the option of running.

The race ended up with a total of ten entries and final declarations took place this morning. Only four were declared and none were added to that number in the extra half hour that the race was then re-opened.

The upshot is a £16,000 81 -100 handicap in which Salute, rated 77, will carry top weight against three opponents rated 72, 67 and 60. As an owner I’m delighted, comfortable in the knowledge that with prize money for all four runners, I can’t lose on the day and could pick up a useful sum if he wins – even second will pay better than winning a standard five grand race.

But as an observer, I have to say this situation tells much about the lack of enterprise shown by most owners and trainers. Having only had 9 entries last Saturday, this race was re-opened for 48 hours to allow extra entries, but only one trainer too advantage of that chance.

I’ve already promised a badge to one TRF member, but if anybody else is going to Lingfield, let me know.

AP

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Doesn’t this also demonstrate the temerity of some trainers who are complaining about poor prize-money? 16 grand race with only 4 runners. Gross hypocrisy on show from some.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

While I don’t often agree with owners and trainers with regards to prize money, but a 2m race on the AW for 81-100 rated horses at this time of year! Who were they hoping to attract? With the jumps season still going a lot of dual purpose horses will still be running over jumps and other stayers in that band probably won’t quite yet be ready to run with races like the Chester Cup still a fair bit away. Sometimes race planning has a lot to answer too.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3073

Queens Prize last Saturday was almost the same prize money, conditions and surface. Has there been a similar race before with none of the runners in the actual weight band? I’m all for decent prize money though, maybe it would have been a lot more competive on the turf. The all weather surface has certainly detracted from Kempton’s meeting last Saturday for me.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Best of Luck with this good bit of placing AP.
    I hope it wins for you.
    Must say that so far like so many other horses it does not seem to go well round Lingfield but seems to love Wolverhampton.
    That must be of some concern.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Good work AP – quite amazing that no other trainers were on the ball last Saturday.

It has to be the worst 0-100 ever run – but let’s hope Salute wins it – he won’t be far away if he runs like he did in Scotland.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

AP
    Well done for collecting around a grand after deductions and expenses.
    The winner Noddies Way had run 19 times without troubling the judge until yesterday.
    Good ride from Jim Crowley won the race.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3214

Seagull,

Thanks – pays the bills for the month and confirmed for us that he doesn’t like that downhill bend into the straight.

Ironically, the winner was the single horse added to the entries after the race was re-opened last weekend. It was great to see the pleasure the win gave to his group of owners.

Next stop Nottingham on April 23rd, although I’ll be watching the number of entries in an identical race to yesterday due to be run at Great Leighs the same week.

AP

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

I tend to only look at the Wolverhampton cards in the winter and the field sizes at Wolverhampton this winter do strike me as being quite a lot down on previous years. It may be that many of the horses at the bottom end of the handicap have been slowly pushed out of racing so that there are less horses actually in training that are eligible for races at Wolverhampton. Whatever the reason, I know Mark Brisbourne has made hay to a certain extent by running the small number of horses he has at his disposal regularly in small fields.

His record for Wolverhampton this year now reads:

Runners – 49
    1st – 11
    2nd – 5
    3rd – 7

So nearly half his runners are picking up prizemoney when they run.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1904

As already stated in the current climate with the prize money situation it is amazing to think that none of those bleating have a 81-100 rated stayer that could have ran in yesterdays race.

Fair play to those who ran and reaped the benefits and I have to say I was really pleased to see Noddies Way finally get off the mark.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3214

GD,

Purely in the interests of balance (in principle I agree with you), if you owned a stayer rated 90+, would you be concentrating on the getting it right for the Chester Cup, which is worth £120k, rather than looking for lesser opportunities.

And if the horse is being aimed at Chester (and then the Northumberland Plate etc), is it likely to be fit enough to run five weeks ahead of that target.

If Great Leighs had set the rating band at 71 – 90 originally, I’ve no doubt they would have got about ten runners. It’s the rigidity of the banding structure and it’s link with prize money that creates the problem. They wouldn’t have been allowed to offer £16k for a 71-90 race.

Salute ran last month in a 0-85 worth £20k at Musselburgh, but the track has to get special permission to run such a race for that money as opposed to the normal £6.5k for the grade – and they aren’t allowed to do it on a regular basis. Most people are aware there is a minimum prize money level set for each rating band, how many know there is a maximum as well?

AP

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.