The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lighthearted racist fun

Home Forums Horse Racing Lighthearted racist fun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

I’ve just seen a David Evans filly running for gthe first time at Wolverhampton this evening.

She’s called JUNGLE BUNNY.

It’s unbelievable.

Mike

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7204

😕 Was the person in charge of screening the names that day asleep at the wheel or did they think that’s OK??

Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

Just had this from the BHA:

This name is deeply offensive and should not have been permitted. It was not picked up by the team responsible for filtering names. This is a human process and this was a human error. We will be having the horse renamed at the earliest opportunity and apologise for offence caused.

Good stuff.

Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

Think I’ve only heard this used in a racist way once, that was in a Steve Martin film. Not sure if I should be outraged about this name, probably not- for me. Just checked out the breeding side and the sire was Bungle Inthejungle. So, the jungle part seems apt and the adding of bunny may be the name of the stable rabbit or sumink.

On balance, it probably wasn’t wise to saddle the horse with such a name, especially in this sad snowflake world that we are trapped in.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

I can remember a showjumper called Jungle Bunny in the early 1970s, times have changed.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5687

Has anyone seen the commentary of hoof hearted winning …. Genius

Participant
    • Total Posts 2705

Perhaps it’s time this team, along with many others involved in the management of horse-racing, should be comprised of people who aren’t completely out of touch with the 21st century

Participant
    • Total Posts 16514

Paul Kirby’s
    Fircombe Hall.
    Posted up on twitter as an answer to the powers that be in the game after Bushy Park has gone in again… and again.. and….

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Attempts by owners to slip covert crudities through the BHA filter is a rather juvenile practice but at least one that can be accepted as ‘witty’

Using ethnic slurs is not acceptable let alone amusing

Rather than blame an error by the filtering algorithm perhaps one should ask just what sort of owner would consider using such a name: naiive or nasty?

Fircombe was the name of the village where the beauty contest was held in Carry On Girls

Ho ho :yes:

RIP Barbara Windsor

Participant
    • Total Posts 16514

Our souls to you got through in the states which Thommo would have had fun with on a foggy day at Southwell.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

This from the Guardian suggests that the owner was naiive

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/13/bha-to-review-procedures-horse-runs-with-racial-slur-as-name-wolverhampton

Close the matter there I reckon

Participant
    • Total Posts 942

According to this article Tommo didn’t mention him in commentary.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

I actually think quite the reverse. The problem may be that they’re they’re not in touch enough with the last century!

The term is so antediluvian that it’s probably only old farts like me that recognise it as offensive. I haven’t heard it since Miami Vice was on.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 8076

I must admit I had never heard of the expression before. And I would not call myself young!

Participant
    • Total Posts 426

Now appears as Jungle Bells in the results area of the racing post app.

Someone moved quickly. Best hope it’s festive theme doesn’t upset anyone who doesn’t celebrate at this time of the year.

As an aside, there is actually a real creature called a Sumatran Striped Rabbit that lives in the rain forest , an actual jungle bunny if you will.
    Inconcievable to imagine that it was naively named after that though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.