The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Led zeppelin r.i.p.

Home Forums Lounge Led zeppelin r.i.p.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Robert Plant has just been on ‘The One Show’ to plug his new album….how un rock’n’roll is that????

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

…about as un-rock’n’roll as the album itself, if it’s still that album of duets with bluegrass titan Alison Krauss (out a couple of months now) that he’s promoting.

In any case, as The One Show is made in Birmingham, he probably just popped in after a quick pint in the Anchor and before getting his tea at Mr Egg. Bless him.

More interesting Plant behaviour here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpZ6xthCgY

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

It seems to me that there have been a steady flow of bloody awful magazine-type programmes produced in the Birmingham studios over the years.

I may be being a touch harsh here, nothing against Birmingham though, there are some bloody awful magazine-type programmes here on BBC Wales as well.

Colin

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I never had Adrian Chiles down as a Led Zeppelin fan.

Robert Plant sure does look old though. A bit craggy looking, is one of my rock god ex-heroes. :shock:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

I can see why Chiles allowed Plant on the show. Zep are just trendy enough to feature on the BBC nowadays.

While Mr Chiles would probably leave the room with a look of distaste if Black Sabbath were burning up the decks, you can easily imagine the Baggies-loving presenter air-guitaring away in front of the mirror to “Whole Lotta Love”.

But for the rest of us outside of the BBC PC fantasy world? I say this! Wrinkly rock? Just say no! I saw Deep Purple last year and it was bad, people. It was bad.

Leave the rock gods as fond seventies’ memories is my considered opinion on this bright near-spring morning. Are there many metalheads/rockers on TRF?

aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1740

Max

I went through a bit of an AC/DC phase in my early/mid teens. Let There Be Rock, Highway To Hell, Back In Black & For Those About To Rock We Salute You were the albums I had. Stumbled across my vinyl version of Back In Black a couple of weeks ago but as I haven’t a turntable any more I might have to buy the CD. They didn’t suffer too badly in the change of lead singers after Bon Scott snuffed it. I eventually grew out of "heavy metal" after hearing the likes of Cat Stevens, Nick Drake, Tim Buckley etc but do enjoy hearing them if they happen to air on the radio.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I eventually grew out of "heavy metal" after hearing the likes of Cat Stevens, Nick Drake, Tim Buckley etc but do enjoy hearing them if they happen to air on the radio.

I agree – heavy metal is very much a teenage thing, imo. Been there, got the t-shirt/s, and have no wish to re-visit… though I do pop on the odd bit of Zep, who never did class themselves as a heavy metal band anyway – and rightly so.

Cat Stevens, Tim Buckley? A man with very good taste, I see.
    Buckley was an amazing singer.

aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1740

Himself

Tim Buckley certainly did have an amazing voice. I have to say I like his early stuff more than his experimental phase, songs like Morning Glory and Wings are brilliant. Must have been in the genes as Jeff Buckley had a bit of a voice to. Its funny how you come across artists from a different generation. I bought a double cassette in the mid 80’s when I was about 18 of 1960’s songs. On that was Nick Drake and Matthews Southern Comfort, Fairport Convention, Blodwyn Pig I think, Jethro Tull, Love maybe and many other not so well known bands that were not known to me at the time anyway. With liking Nick Drake so much I found out through the arranger Robert Kirby about Audience whose superb album House On The Hill features a song arranged by him. I was also very fortunate at about the same time I was given some old 45’s which included some decent groups like Spooky Tooth. So although being a teenager of the 1980’s my favourite music tends to be 60’s and early 70’s with a range from artists such as David Ackles, Mamas & The Papas, The Byrds through to The Hollies, Hermans Hermits and as mentioned in a previous thread The Wurzels !!

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Excellent stuff, aaronizeez. I am familiar with all those artists. Some rare old names among that lot, for sure.

Blodwyn Pig. Yes. It’s all coming back to me.
    I once entered a competition on a a late night radio show where the listener had to identify the band from the music. I instantly recognised it as Blodwyn Pig. I know… how very sad. :lol: So I sent in the postcard (postcard only !) not thinking I had a hope of winning. Lo and behold I tuned in the following Friday evening to discover that out of 400 entrants (those who bothered, or all the listeners), I was the only one who had sent in the correct answer. I won a double album (Bob Seger live), which I gave to my sister.

Spooky Tooth. I only had one of their albums – Spooky Two. It featured their song, Better By You, Better Than Me, which Judas Priest later recorded for their Stained Class album, and which they had hit single with, as I recall.

Ah, those were the days. :lol:

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

Oo er I’ve come over all kaftan and loons

Some great names there chaps

Hymns to an older generation (Jorma Kaukonen)

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

I agree – heavy metal is very much a teenage thing, imo

:oops: :oops: :oops: I’m listening to “Stained Class”* as we type, Himself – and I’m late thirtyish LOL. (Very late…)

Mind you, I recieved a Jeff Buckley record as a present once. I only played it once. It’s that one with the song on it that goes “its never over, a kingdom for a kiss upon my shoulder” and that.

My! That’s a world class wrist slasher. I spent the day after looking round for the nearest high bridge. I’d much rather listen to songs about enigmatic witches, dancing goblins and syphillitic good time girls hanging about in outback boozers. Oh yesh…either of you remember Uriah Heep?

*The final part of the classic mid-seventies Priest trilogy began by the epic “Sad Wings of Destiny” and continued by the flawed “Sin after Sin”, this album is also famous for introducing the rock world to the ballad format – on “Beyond The Realms of Death” – so beloved by the dominant US metal acts of today. Not many people know that nowadays. Awight.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I agree – heavy metal is very much a teenage thing, imo

:oops: :oops: :oops: I’m listening to “Stained Class”* as we type, Himself – and I’m late thirtyish LOL. (Very late…)

Mind you, I recieved a Jeff Buckley record as a present once. I only played it once. It’s that one with the song on it that goes “its never over, a kingdom for a kiss upon my shoulder” and that.

My! That’s a world class wrist slasher. I spent the day after looking round for the nearest high bridge. I’d much rather listen to songs about enigmatic witches, dancing goblins and syphillitic good time girls hanging about in outback boozers. Oh yesh…either of you remember Uriah Heep?
    [/size]

Uriah Heep ? Remember them? I used to own eight of their albums during those teen years. :lol: When David Byron ( now sadly dead) was chucked out the group, I lost interest. The tracks Salisbury, July Morning and Lady In Black are particular favourites of mine. Like Zeppelin, they never really fell under the heavy metal band. They certainly didn’t think so anyway. And yes, they did seem to have an early fixation with syphalitic good time girls, enigmatic witches… and Magicians. :wink:

As for Jeff Buckley (Tim’s son, who like is father, also died tragically); he released an album called “Grace”, which has been hailed by critics as a classic.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

That’s the album, Himself; "Grace" I dug it out last night. It is a classic, but I have to be in the right mood to listen to it – certainly couldn’t have listened to it the other night after drawing a blank win and place at Wolverhampton. :D

I mention the Heep because I listened to "Gypsy" the other night;a song I’ve not heard for absolutely years. Magic stuff. I can feel a trawl round the record shops coming on 8)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

how about a TRF outing to the Monsters of Rock festival at Donington! everyone can camp out in my back garden…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.