The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

League Two Champions

Home Forums General Sports League Two Champions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Its that time of the year again when I effectively ruin the chances of a certain team that when pronounced sloppily sounds a bit like the Polish capital.

That said, and bearing in mind my hopeless record when it comes to football tipping (or indeed any other form of tipping) I have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever in predicting a table-topping season for the Saddlers. Admittedly, it will be a test of patience this season. Merson was prone to pick a new team every week, so we may get a little twitchy come September if there haven’t been wholesale changes. But starting with a comfortable away win at Rochdale on Saturday has calmed a few nerves. We have some good players (at this level) an organised team (yes, really) and a manager called Richard Money. Now I ask you, with a man known as Dicky Dosh at the helm, how can we possibly fail?

TMWANG50
    • Total Posts 69

I’d have a saver on MK Dons if I was you, I fancy dark horses Chester in your division.

As for my own beloved Bristol City, too short to be worth a bet but they are Champions in waitng with a new manager on board.

I think Blackpool or Tranmere could hold more value.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

MK Dons will be tough (though they lost last night).

I wouldn’t be too worried by defeat to Bradford, I reckon they’ll be up there too in May.

TMWANG50
    • Total Posts 69

Greetings Aranalde, as the year draws to a close your original punt on Walsall doesn’t look at all misguided even if a little bias!!

My own beloved Bristol City are still flying high in 2nd, Trannie and Blackpool aren’t doing badly for each way money. Mk Dons are also still in the hunt in Div 2 even if a little adrift of the Brummies..

In a minute someone is going to post saying that we know what we are talking about!!!

Good luck with the rest of the season!!:cool: :cool:

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Compliments of the season to you. Isn’t football a lovely sport.

However, as we both know, it has a habit of kicking you in the teeth. Until promotion is a mathematical certainty, continue to appease the football gods and don’t tempt fate.

The current League One table is a pleasing sight, since I quite like Forest and the way Bristol City conducted themselves (fans and players) won a lot of friends amongst Saddlers fans

The biggest problem at Walsall is that Dicky Dosh won the November manager of the month award. This was immediately followed by a home defeat to Swindon and a draw at Wrexham (though Swindon are now managed by the excellent Paul Sturrock and Wrexham has for some reason become something of a derby match).

I am concerned about this mystery team from Birmingham though. Brummies in League Two? Whoever they are, we’ll beat them too!

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Your bet on Walsall looks to have been good judgement:) <br>Try not to laugh too loud but my pre season bet for Div 2 was Darlington who had an excellent start before going downhill and will probably struggle just to reach the play offs.

As soon as I heard that Paul Sturrock was to be the new Swindon manager I backed them on BF to win the Div 2 league title…..doing ok since but I’ve heard that Swindon do not have any money to spend in the January sales:(

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

To be honest, Swindon are the only team Walsall should fear. Sturrock is a Championship class manager, possibly better. They may not have a great deal to spend in January, but at this level, that may not matter, its more about getting the best out of what you’ve got. I’d take a top manager over a rich chairman every time.  Darlington have spent a fair bit but haven’t used it well.

That said, its a ludicrously open division and they are more than capable of getting into the play offs. 3rd place wouldn’t be impossible, either, with a strong run

TMWANG50
    • Total Posts 69

I think Swindle (as they are known in these parts) are in a bit of a false position, although Sturrock does seem to be getting the best out of a bunch of Bristol City reserves, if he can keep Roberts, Peacock and Brown out of the pub they might go up….

I am with you Aranalde, I won’t be taking promotion until at least late June and even then I’d have to pinh myself and confirm it with a claculator to prove it has happened. As following a team that loves 3rd place & play off heartbreak is painfull – (to even Walsall a few years ago funnily enough). Happy New Year good luck to all a peace to all men unless you wear the blue & white quarters…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.