The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kyprios

Home Forums Horse Racing Kyprios

Viewing 9 posts - 18 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    GM23
    Participant
    • Total Posts 517

A brilliant racehorse.

I think they should’ve gave him a shot at the Arc. Stick a couple of pacemakers in and make it a gruelling test. I think he’d have gone very close but even if not good enough, wouldn’t have lost anything in defeat.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3137

For me it would have to be a real attritional Arc and then Coolmore would have to sacrifice some high class horses (in order to get into the race) to set a strong enough gallop for it to have any chance of working – he doesn’t have a lot of natural speed so those kind of tactics could see him struggle to hold a position early in the race.

In any case, from what Aidan has said on the subject, he seems very reluctant to subject him to that kind of race that would be very well outside of his comfort zone, especially considering what the horse has had to come back from.

The staying division looks extremely weak with the usual suspects turning up for the same races year in year out and there doesn’t seem to be anything just short of top class at 12-14F that potentially could step up into the division – Los Angeles for me would have been a great candidate to make said jump but I doubt they see him as that type of horse, even though he screams relentless galloper crying out for a longer trip to me.

I do believe that what they really want as an end goal for Kyprios is to try and emulate Yeats in winning 4 Ascot Gold Cups and that would be a much easier task if you didn’t have to worry about a threat coming from your own yard – which is probably where his biggest danger would likely be.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1755

Given how sick the horse was I’m sure they will take it year at a time. He’s some horse to win six staying races in a row. Without his serious injury he would probably be 14 in a row. His biggest rival most certainly will be from ballydoyle with the like of illinois and Highbury if he goes up in trip. Love these staying horses. John cherry one of my fav horses.

Helcatmudwrestler
    Participant
    • Total Posts 414

The staying division is weak because anything just below top class that may improve are sold . The two big middle distance races in OZ this weekend were stacked with ex European horses , each year more and more . I’ve seen fields past few months for decent money with imports from Europe filling whole field.
    Five of first six home in Bart Cummings Stakes ex European , horses that have run in classics , winner horse previousy owned by King Charles , in the Metrop winner ex UK horse lightly raced sent out by owner . These type horses would have bolstered Cup fields in past .

GM23
    Participant
    • Total Posts 517

What a racehorse. The best stayer of all time for me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4712

Nah. He’s the best since Ardross, but wouldn’t have beaten those greats of the seventies and early eighties.

And that’s without going back to the likes of Alycidon.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1755

Has to be the best imho now. To recover from what he has is just amazing. Today’s performance just awesome. I’m sure kyprios would have hone close in an arc given the chance. Huge fan of across but kyprios would have outbatyled him. Goat.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4712

So you don’t think Sagaro, Buckskin, Le Moss, Ardross, etc, would be capable of beating Sweet William 2 1/4 lengths?

To come back from a near-fatal illness is remarkable, but it appears some of you are letting emotion cloud your judgment.

GM23
    Participant
    • Total Posts 517

He’s beating him so much easier than the 2 1/4 lengths suggest though. It looked like a routine piece of work to him.

Viewing 9 posts - 18 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.