The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kirsty Milczarek

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Kirsty Milczarek

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hi all,

I think this girl deserves a positive mention.

Her last 31 rides have produced an amazing 11 winners for a 35% strike rate. Impressively, those wins haven’t been on the back of one or two trainers hitting top form, those 11 winners have been for 9 different trainers.

She seems to put the horse in the right place at the right time and give the horse every chance. From what I’ve seen she doesn’t mess about either and hold on to her horses until the last second – she usually gives them the office at exactly the right time and she can certainly ride a strong finish.

Hayley Turner did wonders for the reputation of female jockeys a few years ago and it’s great to see more very competent female jockeys have success.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

How quickly we forget Lisa Jones. The problem is that when a decent apprentice, male or female, loses their claim quickly through a spate of winners in the winter months, they can easily fall into limbo when the next prodigy arrives with a 7lb claim. I hope Kirsty continues to flourish, and not just in the short term.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

She was outstanding at Kempton on Wednesday and, despite backing Pocket Too on who I thought she was a little weak in the closing stages, it’s hard not to be impressed by her.

Well worth her claim and, in much the same way as Hayley Turner, far more preferable as a jockey than a good number of men.

Participant
    • Total Posts 899

Absolutely exceptional judgement of pace and holding a horse together in a finish.
    They say women have to be twice as good to get noticed, and she is.

TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

I agree that she has a mention, doing well day in day out. I enjoy watching her as she rides well and is fair. Her and Hayley Turner will do well this year!

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

25/1 winner at Kempton last night.

Also a special mention for Danielle McCreery who won a trip down to South Africa to ride for Mike De Kock early last year – he rates her quite highly too apparently.

It’s a shame the UK seems to be so far behind the rest of the world where the likes of Julie Krone, Zoe Cadman, Rosie Homeister Jnr and Emma-Jayne Wilson have been pinging in the winners in the past.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

It’s only 2 winters ago that James Doyle went from 7 lb claimer to 3 lb claimer in the space of 3 months. He hasn’t had the greatest success since losing his claim.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Kirsty is rapidly becoming overbet. The prices on some of the no hopers she rode during the week were way, way too low.

Quality laying material :wink:

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

It’s only 2 winters ago that James Doyle went from 7 lb claimer to 3 lb claimer in the space of 3 months. He hasn’t had the greatest success since losing his claim.

But it’s also not long ago since Hayley lost her claim, but she is making a decent living so it’s not all doom and gloom DJ.

This thread was meant to highlight how good Kirsty is riding at the moment, not to outline what pitfalls that could lie ahead for her – I’m sure she, and every apprentice for that matter, knows how hard racing will become once they lose their claim.

Be positive :D

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

James Doyle has had a nice couple of winners this week though, David.

Colin

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

There was a fascinating article about her in the Daily Mail. She was a show jumper (like Francome) and has evidently learn a lot about horses. She seems to have an empathy with her charges and an understanding about their health and wellbeing, what buttons to push and when.

She said it was not uncommon to see young lads on horses which were clearly (to her) lame, and couldn’t imagine starting off at the age 17 or 18.
    Her grandfather was a Pole who came over during WWII.

I should pay more attention to jockeys’ bookings, but I intend to make more of an effort with regard to her mounts.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

At the risk of sounding sexist, I would find it very difficult to back a horse ridden by a woman. Apart from Julie Krone no female that I know of has become what you could call top class, and in my experience the ones we have here couldn’t be trusted with top jobs. They are kind of ok on the sand in the winter, but when the top jocks are back they pale to the background during the turf season.

Hayley Turner’s paltry 7% strike rate over the past 5 seasons kinda bears that out.

And yes, I know I am gonna get a slating, but my opinion is based on betting experiences I guess so is probably skewed and biased!

As someone has already said , Kirsty has excellent pace judgement, which she has demonstrated on many occasions this winter.

The introduction of sectional timing has highlighted how farcical all too many AW races are. It appears that few jockeys want the lead, and even fewer seem to be able judge how fast when they can comfortably go when in front without overcooking their mounts, which has led to many AW races becoming French-style, slow, slow, quick events.

Enter Kirsty – shock , horror , a female – to show many of her male counterparts that races can be won , given skillful awareness, from the front.

I’d rather her ride my horses than many of the mediocre male horsemen who tour the AW tracks during the winter months.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Julie Krone only one I’ve seen who has had the physical strength to mix it with the men. Strength is the asset, lack of I mean, that stops them being competitive at the top IMO.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Colin

Maybe so, but based on what he was doing as an apprentice, his career has stalled somewhat. Will be interesting to see how Buick gets on when he loses his claim, a smart move on his gaffers behalf not to have him wasting it on the all-weather this winter.

Judging jockeys by strike rate really isn’t the best method imo as it doesn’t take into account what chance the horse had of winning.

Participant
    • Total Posts 899

Julie Krone only one I’ve seen who has had the physical strength to mix it with the men. Strength is the asset, lack of I mean, that stops them being competitive at the top IMO.

C15
    What exactly do you mean by strength here, how would you measure it, and how exactly does it make a difference?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Colin

If you compare Mr Doyle’s sister (who has a lot of help like her brother from mum) then you’ll see the difference between James, Sophie and Kirsty ie. Kirsty is doing it all on natural ability and class – and making a bloody good fist of it too.

As for not being able to compete with the blokes around the world Cormack the previously mentioned Emma-Jayne Wilson was mixing it with the top guys at Woodbine as an apprentice and as far as I know she still is.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.