The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kingsgate Native

Home Forums Horse Racing Kingsgate Native

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

Can anyone on here present a cogent argument why Kingsgate Native won the Nunthorpe today other than the fact that he received a ton of weight.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

He had achieved smart form after just two races and was opento further improvement, looks the part as a sprinter, and HE RECEIVED TOO MUCH WEIGHT.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

brendam

I think he was simply the best horse at the weights on the day.

He won very readily and I didn’t see any hard luck stories behind.

Perhaps he is more mature than the average 2yo and therefore the weight for age allowance was quite generous in his case. The scale of weight for age(WFA) is only an average and there are bound to be some youngsters who are favourably treated.

The time was quite good and he wasn’t unfancied, although strictly on the book he had something to find – about 10lbs or so. That said, he’s only had two races in his life, so he was likely to find some of that, which he duly did.

He comes out about 18lb(WFA =16lbs) behind Dandy Man, so he is on a par with him, making him one of the top sprinters.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Well I fancied him…

3:10 York (Nunthorpe)

Being a bit of a speed-figure slave, I’m drawn towards taking a chance on KINGSGATE NATIVE[/color:1wjnw765] today, given that this juvenile has bounced in two very smart performances (both on the clock and visually) and seems to have a favourable draw.

Obviously, even with a massive weight allowance, the hustle and bustle of a contest like this and the basic speed of some of these experienced sprinters will require a smart performance, but 12/1+ makes him look a reasonably tempting proposition.

Not that that usually means a lot…

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

The weight-for-age scale is wrong when applied to 2yos, and some people have been arguing that for a long time.

That said, even if the w-f-a scale had been "right" Kingsgate Native would surely have been in there scrapping for one of the first three places. He won with too much authority to think otherwise.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Something is not right. How the hell do you rate the Nunthorpe?

On todays running I get Kingsgate Native running to wait for it ………… 122. That is above what I get Notnowcato and Dutch Art and the like. That cannot be right when this horse can’t even beat its own age group.

Rate him any lower and the rest of the marks look ridiculous.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Pru,

Some people, even knowledgeable ones on this forum, believe that weight doesn’t make much difference at all, never mind the inequallities of the WFA scale.

Flash,

That looks about right, maybe a pound or two lower.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Which wfa scale are you using? The BHB one is deeply flawed. Timeform have 2yos favoured by 7 lb in the Nunthorpe, and that’s possibly being conservative.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Yes, Artemis, I am aware that these people exist.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Pru,

Some people, even knowledgeable ones on this forum, believe that weight doesn’t make much difference at all, never mind the inequallities of the WFA scale.

My own personal view is that weight only matters when you’re talking half a stone and above. I really don’t think the odd pound or two makes a jot of difference.

Just my view, I know many will disagree.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

I’m using the RP WFA which must be about the same as Timeform.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

How much do they allow for 2yos in this instance?

Timeform allow 17lb, The Sportsman used to allow 16 lb. Kingsgate Native received 24 lb.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

They allow 16lbs

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Well, I would agree with that. The BHB does not, though!

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

There’s little doubt that the wfa scale for 2-y-os, particularly over sprint distances, is a few pounds out.

In the 1950s, 2-y-os won the race 3 times in 4 years (High Treason,MyBeau and Ennis), but nothing was done about it.

Nevertheless, a smart performance by a fast-improving, and now top class colt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.