The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King Edmund

Home Forums Memorials King Edmund

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jane of Herts
    Participant
    • Total Posts 110

The veteran was lost at Ascot today when he fell during the big handicap chase; had all the hallmarks of a broken neck. Very sad.

RIP old boy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Gutted by this. Saw the old boy win his bumper at Ludlow and followed him closely ever since. Usually a pretty safe jumper too.

Big comiserations to connections. :(

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

How long will it take stuoid Lydia to tell us that an obvious fatal fall wasn’t just a bad fall?????
    Sick and tired of being treated like an idiot. Is she trying to hide fatalities from the public or what?
    Rest in Peace King Edmund

A real shame that they send him three time over hurdles in the space of three weeks on horrible ground and then back chasing. Eight starts in three and a half months for a 12-year old. Nothing more to say. Just show a bit more respect for a horse that you will call stalwart and start crying after him. Pathetic race planning by connections.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Was praying I wouldn’t see his name here after seeing his fall on 4+1….

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

So sad. Connections did well to win two races with such an exposed and reliable chaser this season. The old horse was thriving on his racing too.

RIP King Edmund. I feel for the stable staff who got to know him since 2008 and must be feeling so numb tonight.

:(

Participant
    • Total Posts 67

So sad! Completely overshadowed an otherwise fantastic days racing.
    RIP King Edmund

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

Racing has been great recently. Only very few fatalities, due to perfect ground, intelligent riding and fit horses.
    But this 12-year old just deserved a longer break after three very tough races on heavy going in the space of two and a half weeks or so. Very sad!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 16969

Was dreading seeing his name here tonight.

Bearing his age in mind if he were mine I would have rested him for at least 2 months after he won 2 x hurdle races within 2 days last December, how much more can you ask of a 12yo horse?

Would like to see a ruling to ensure that horses of any age are not exploited by running too often, they deserve to rest between races just like any athlete.

I feel for the stable and their loss but this horse deserved better.

RIP King Edmund :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    linnet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Another old favourite of mine now gone. He ran his socks off for years and to end like that is not good. I agree the old boy should not have been running hard races without a decent recover time. RIP old boy.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Chris Gordon’s tribute to king Edmund:

We were all devastated by the loss of King Edmund in a fall at Ascot on Saturday.
    He was one of only five horses in the yard when we started training in 2007 and swiftly became our flagship after winning on his debut for us in a bumper at Ludlow at 80-1.
    He was a lovely horse to have around the place, a tremendous character, and was here so long, he became part of the family.
    King Edmund would not have won any prizes for conformation. I’ve seen better front legs on antique chairs at my local saleroom. He was also very back at the knee, and had a club foot but handsome is as handsome does and he gave his owner Anthony Ward-Thomas, my wife Jenny and I so many great days.
    Jenny had ridden his dam in point-to-points and in the past I won a couple of point-to-points on his uncle.
    King Edmund showed the right attitude when I broke him in and developed in time into a game, genuine, and extremely consistent jumper with more than a touch of class.
    He won nine races for us, was placed numerous times and we will never forget his part in helping to deliver our first treble at Lingfield earlier this season.
    There is no doubt that King Edmund played a big role in putting us on the map.
    Losing him so abruptly on Saturday was a dreadful shock because to us he was irreplaceable.

There will never be another horse like him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Glad the stable had some consolation in the last at Cheltenham today.

Lovely tribute to KE from Chris Gordon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.