King Ed

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 King Ed

This topic contains 26 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by stevecaution stevecaution 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26324

Crystal Ocean imo looks the best bet of the day @ around 5/2.

value is everything
    botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3157

On at 7’s AP Ginge. But got a really, really sickening feeling about a certain Irish horse in this.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26324

On at 7’s AP Ginge. But got a really, really sickening feeling about a certain Irish horse in this.

Sir John Lavery I presume, Botchy? Has sope for further improvement, but has done nothing yet and needs to prove himself on the ground too. Albeit Coolmore probably had quite a few to choose from. He’s only joint second favourite in my book. This is my idea of their fair prices:

Crystal Ocean 15/8, Salouen 7/1, Sir John Lavery 7/1, Permain 8/1, Best Solution 10/1, Best Of Days 13/1, Call To Mind 16/1, Intern 33/1, Khalidi 40/1, Glencadem Gold 66/1, Raheen House 125/1, Frankus 200/1.

I’ve backed Crystal Ocean @ 5/2 and saved on Salouen @ 8/1 and Call to Mind at 20/1.

Did you take the 7/1 immediately after the Dante?

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26324

Do think it’s a shame Wolf Country’s come out. Now probably got to rely on one of Mark Johnstons making the pace.

value is everything
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8628

I really like Salouen Ginger, I saw him in the flesh at Newmarket and he was a standout in the paddock when just beaten by Khalidi in the Feilden Stakes and then went on to run in the Derby where he encountered problems after clipping heels with another horse.

Khalidi should also be respected as perhaps he didn’t handle Epsom too well and he didn’t have a hard race. He would be my each way choice along with Permian who has the beating of quite a few of these and also Benbatl who won convincingly today.

I also saw Call To Mind at Newmarket last time and feel that he has to step up a bit to win this only being 3rd to Grey Britain who disappointed today and only just having won his maiden at Cl.4 level, he’s beautifully bred though being by Galileo out of Memory.

Good luck with Crystal Ocean, Stoute will be double celebrating if he wins. Jac :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3157

Sir John Lavery I presume, Botchy? Has sope for further improvement, but has done nothing yet and needs to prove himself on the ground too. Albeit Coolmore probably had quite a few to choose from. He’s only joint second favourite in my book. This is my idea of their fair prices:

Crystal Ocean 15/8, Salouen 7/1, Sir John Lavery 7/1, Permain 8/1, Best Solution 10/1, Best Of Days 13/1, Call To Mind 16/1, Intern 33/1, Khalidi 40/1, Glencadem Gold 66/1, Raheen House 125/1, Frankus 200/1.

I’ve backed Crystal Ocean @ 5/2 and saved on Salouen @ 8/1 and Call to Mind at 20/1.

I don’t think there was a market for the race then Ginge. It will of been maybe 10 – 20 days after that i would of thought. If i remember right, he was only taken out of the Derby betting 3 or 4 days before the race. It seems so long ago now, all of 5 weeks.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I looked at Crystal Ocean when the betting first came out but there were a lot of question marks about who would actually turn up here on the day.

If you had framed this race after the Dante you would be looking at Permian as favourite but he was very disappointing in the Derby after they paid quite a lot to supplement him.

I would imagine that over the extra distance here and with Crystal Ocean much less exposed, most will believe that the Stoute horse is going to turn it round with Johnston’s progressive but arguably plateaued runner. With Dante runner-up Benbatl running 5th in the Derby and then winning next time, this seems the obvious starting point for a form check.

Crystal Ocean didn’t beat much in his maiden. There was the “Frankgate” incident when Mick Fitzgerald and plenty others kept saying that the runner-up in the maiden won by Crystal Ocean, Okool, had “Franked” the form by winning a Nottingham maiden. What utter tosh that was as a concept and what utter tosh it has actually proved.

Okool went on to run off 81 in a 4 runner handicap at Chester and was promptly 4th of the 4 runners. That race hasn’t worked out, Okool’s maiden win hasn’t worked out and Crystal Ocean’s maiden win hasn’t worked out. Only Okool’s Nottinham maiden win has come from the 18 starts to emerge from Crystal Ocean’s maiden race. Most have been unplaced. I do wish supposed professionals would not talk such utter pish on TV. I digress.

We can only rely on Crystal Ocean’s run in the Dante. What came before is of no relevance now. I thought he was going to be run right out of it in the Dante but he kept on really well in the closing stages. My worry for him ante-post was if it was fast ground at Ascot and that is what puts me off. It was Good To Soft at York and just a worry for me if this becomes all about speed in the closing stages.

It’s not a very inspiring field but I just can’t back Crystal Ocean at the odds. Sir John Lavery has a good bit to prove but wouldn’t be the first O’Brien horse to leave a stinker of a run behind. Maybe some rest might revive Permian.

I can’t back Best Of Days with the lay-off and the Palmer Form. Best Solution seemed best in the mud. Gosden’s Khalidi seems to be in and out.

Salouen was unlucky in the Derby. He had a lot to do but was starting a run when interfered with. He nearly came down and took a while to get going again but did start another effort, only to meet more trouble and he was eased. He would not have won but I think he may not have been disgraced. I backed him earlier in the year and was disappointed to see him beaten by Khalidi, however, that horse has proved decent on his going days.

I feel Salouen was worth a bet at 8/1 in this lesser company and hopefully he will get a clear run this time.

I felt Intern might run better than his 20/1 odds on only his second start for Ralph Beckett. Previously with David Wachman he ran Cunco close in the old Guardian Classic Trial at Sandown. It looked a weak renewal right enough and the race has not panned out but the horse is unexposed and Beckett has booked Pat Smullen to ride. I thought Intern came into that race travelling best of them and he then started to work harder to assert before looking like he was going to win. He just got worried out of it by Cunco in the last couple of strides. With that under his belt, he could be more forward now and an interesting outsider.

My two are therefore Salouen 8/1 and Intern 20/1

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15788

Although his last run looked a shade disappointing, I seen enough to give me encouragement that a second go at this trip would suit Raheen House. Slight tweaking of the tactics should see him closer at the business end, and his run earlier in the season, splitting Shutter Speed & Enable offers some real encouragement. More than happy to chance him at 28’s 4 places.

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1048

I’m giving Khalidi another chance. He was disappointing in the Derby, but then Coronet was disappointing in the Oaks

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Any positive market vibes and I’ll end up backing Best Of Days. Apart from him, these are G2/G3 horses. Hugo remains in flaky form but he has a serious horse here. They just ran out of time to get him to the Derby, but reports were saying that they fancied him to make the frame “at least” even without a prep run.

St Nicholas Abbey
    St Nicholas Abbey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 127

I’m on Salouen at 8-1 as well. Fingers crossed!

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2540

I like the look of Best Solution and Glencadem Glory. The latter each way.

They finished well clear in the Lingfield Derby trial with the latter missing the break. They both ran decent races in the Derby with Glencadem Glory being a little outpaced down the hill at Tattenham corner.

The field have lots of questions to answer to and I reckon then two are solid.

Best Solution – 9/1 win

Glencadem Glory – 25/1 each way

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I came away from the Dante (form which has been franked) believing Crystal Ocean was the best horse in the race and one to keep on side this year so that is how I’m playing it. Crystal Ocean (11/4). Connections left The Derby alone for this and I think he’ll be bang there. I’ve also gone in to a lesser extent on Best Solution (9/1) who lest we forget won the Lingfield Derby Trial by about 4 lengths. If you forgive him his Epsom run (which wasn’t bad by any means) then he surely has a very good chance. At the odds I had a tentative bet on Khalidi (20/1) as he seems overlooked in this race and Mr Gosden won the Ribblesdale with a horse with a similar profile.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26324

Seems quite a bit of market confidence that Permian is still capable of his best and with a slow pace favouring prominent runners quite likely… a third saver @ 7/1.

value is everything
    Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 876

I’m always looking for a quirky bit of form or storyline when it comes to certain races.

Sir Michael has won this race 7 times with 7 different jockeys. Step up Andrea Atzeni to continue that trend on Crystal Ocean to join the likes of Dettori, Moore, murtagh, kinane, fallon, piggott and swinburn.

The form has to be there to contribute and his maiden win was more impressive than it seemed. He was in control all the way and was eased down to win by 2 lengths. The Dante form was franked and he was crying out for further. Strong race though, good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.