The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kempton Park’s Breakfast Club

Home Forums Horse Racing Kempton Park’s Breakfast Club

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

Looks like Saturday morning detention is being mooted, with Kempton looking into the possibility of staging some maggot’s race in the middle of the Morning Line.

I had to do a double take when I read this. Not at the morning racing proposal, which was included in Savill’s Modernisation of British Racing and was therefore inevitable to be carried out, despite the fact that it has been officially binned. No, what amazed me is that The Morning Line is still running! I thought it had been taken off air years ago.

This comes hot on the heels of reading a thread on here about Tom Segal claiming there were no jumps pros in The Weekender. I thought it had gone out of print years ago, but it’s apparently still being published, even though few seem to read it judging by how long it took someone to clarify what Segal actually said.

Are there any other racing media that time forgot still going? I feel I might be missing out!

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Glenn, are you aware of the monthly magazine

RACING AHEAD

?

An excellent little magazine and the names of a number of the contributors might be familiar to you.

Colin

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Saturday morning racing – isn’t this from the same people behind "Lunchtime AtTheRaces" a few years ago? What a disaster that turned out to be and this is another ridiculous idea.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5628

Saturday morning racing – isn’t this from the same people behind "Lunchtime AtTheRaces" a few years ago?

Was that the short-lived C4 lunchtime thingy?

If so, yes pyss-poor though it did have the saving grace of guest Clement Freud’s deadpan reply to the question ‘what name will you give your next horse’ posed by Tanya Stevenson – ‘Sack My Cook’ :lol: :oops:

The really sad fact is the Morning Line, Weekender and Racing&Football Outlook (believe it or not Glenn) are still around but The Sporting Life and Odds On aren’t.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

This idea of an early start is nothing new, In Australia Melbourne Cup day begins at 10.30 and even Breeders Cup day will start at around this time if not earlier.

Might be worth trying a few meetings on a Saturday at 11.00 like in the old days of Banded racing but have slightly higher quality horses running.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The whole thing strikes me as desperation on the part of Kempton – it seems no gimmick it too cheap and tacky to try and get punters through the door.

If it is not a stupid attempt to stage racing to music then it is the possibility of a breakfast meeting.

Well Ms Starkey there is a much simpler way to get bums on seats – give punters racing that is worth watching – punters are not going to turn up at Kempton Park at half past eight on a Saturday morning.

Punters are not going to flock to the betting shops in their droves at 8:30 on a Saturday morning just to have a bet on the first at the sandpit, just because the race happens to be on the Morning Line.

Never mind the impact on stable staff who will need to get runners to the track at some ungodly hour.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3140

Don’t think the idea is entirely without merit although the poor prize money which is often on offer is a major negative.
    As Steve Dennis in the Post points out why is our racing often only between 2.00pm and 6.00pm? On a Bank Holiday we can have around 8 meetings crammed in between these hours (used to be more), why don’t a couple start at midday and a couple more in the evening.
    Think most would be willing to give it a go for decent prize money, say a minimum of 10 grand a race but if they’re going to put up £2047 a race, forget it.
    Bet there would be decent markets for breakfast racing on Betfair.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I agree racing should be spread out more during the day and I have no problem with meeting’s starting mid-morning, especially Saturdays and Bank Holidays – an 11:00 start will still give time to a days racing and still have a fair chunk of the afternoon free to do other things – arguably more family friendly.

However breakfast racing is too early – just think of the practical impact for those who have to work at the meeting – stable staff either having to set off at stupid o’clock or having to travel the previous night, thus increasing costs for connections – for what would be paltry prize money. Kempton or the sponsors, odds-on it would be a bookmaker, would have to subsidise the costs.

I also have to say there is no financial inducement whatsoever that would get me out of my bed early on a Saturday morning to go to an AW meeting at Kempton …… and I know I would not be the only one – cue Shadow Leader :wink:

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

The true way forward is twenty four hour racing which would bring tremendous benefits to the Country as a whole.
    For a start, if we had racing in the middle of the night, trainers would be able to halve the amount of accomodation they need to provide for stable staff. There could be twelve hour shifts, one half of staff sleeping at night whilst the rest would be at the races. Then at the end of the night shift those staff would sleep in lovely warm beds recently vacated by the day staff.
    Traffic congestion would ease if only half the number of horse boxes were on our roads during the day; doctors could prescribe ‘a night at the races’ to insomnia-suffering patients, thus cutting down on drug bills; staff in the likes of Ladbrokes would be able to include restaurant/massage parlour/lap dance facilities as part of their customer services initiatives. It all sounds to good to be true. I can’t wait. Come on BHA and Silvoir – you know it makes sense!

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I’ve made my feelings on the subject well known to the hierarchy, Paul – namely, if you think I’m going to get to Kempton for 06.30 on a Saturday morning you can kiss my arse.

It’s one of the most ridiculous ideas I’ve ever heard and it kicks the stunt with the orchestra into a cocked hat. I totally agree with Paul in that Ms Starkey is more concerned in ridiculous gimmicks to attempt to get people through the gates rather than thinking properly and practically how to do so. In fact I think the best chances of getting people through the gate are blindingly obvious without resorting to playground ideas. Sorry, that’s unfair on five year olds who would no doubt come up with far more workable plans on increasing attendance.

So far as I’m concerned, Kempton would get more people through the gate if they :

– raced less often. How many locals, die hards, or anyone in fact, are going to go to the sandpit 3 or 4 times a week for shite racing with small fields? Which leads nicely onto the next plan…

– do something about the standard of racing. The racing at Kempton differs wildly from listed races to bike races that seem to be worse than the crap banded racing used to offer.

– abolish the ridiculous policy implented earlier this year of charging £5 parking fee to park at the racecourse.

..and finally, the simplest plan

– either give free entrance, or make it a fiver entry fee. Standard fee for every meeting, on the gate – the few meetings they had entry fees for a fiver they forgot to publicise too widely that you had to apply in advance for tickets to get them at a fiver, they were something like £18 on the gate.

Let people in free, or for a fiver, and you’ll actually get people through the gate. No doubt some might be tempted to try the panoramic restaurant as well and since they’re being let in for nothing (or very little) most people will be more likely to be prepared to pay the high prices for drink, food etc.

Failing that, build a Tesco (or maybe a Sainsbury’s, there’s a Tesco down the road) on site instead.

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

Free admission and reasonable food and drink prices would scoop any other form of sporting entertainment in the London area.

Not sure about breakfast racing, but a 10 or 10.30 start would work for me, especially combined with above.

Most of all, make a great friendly, comfortable simulcasting area opened all day long so after the early races, people will want to stay and spend money.

Craig

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

However breakfast racing is too early – just think of the practical impact for those who have to work at the meeting – stable staff either having to set off at stupid o’clock or having to travel the previous night, thus increasing costs for connections – for what would be paltry prize money. Kempton or the sponsors, odds-on it would be a bookmaker, would have to subsidise the costs.

I’d proffer that it’s the right idea but the wrong racecourse. If introduced, breakfast racing is likely to live or perish on its patronage by racing stables, so it seems prudent to give it the best possible chance of succeeding by hosting it at racecourses closest to the major Flat racing training centres. Kempton has the Epsom / Surrey set as a possible source of runners, but I can think of at least one training centre, and course, that may suit better.

It’s conjectural how prepared the Newmarket executive would be to allow breakfast racing over the two courses there as well as or instead of more bankable fixtures, but there is a certain Polytrack racecourse only 47 miles and 70 minutes’ drive away from Headquarters that seems tailor-made.

Racing is set to resume at Great Leighs in 2011 under new management, assuming no further financial impropriety befalls it and if fixtures can be secured. Could it perhaps be a prerequisite that some of the fixtures it may be offered (if not those it may bid for) in 2011 take place outside of "normal" racing hours, i.e. mid-morning weekdays and Sundays, breakfast time Saturdays?

The clear Newmarket-area bias of these meetings wouldn’t concern overly – local, low-grade meetings dominated by local, low-grade horses were, after all, believed to be an inevitability when the original trenche of Regional Racing fixtures was introduced way back when. Besides which, the likes of Ripon, Catterick and Thirsk are available if there is any appetite for a similar scheme for the Malton area yards.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

RACING AHEAD

?

An excellent little magazine and the names of a number of the contributors might be familiar to you.

Colin

I’ll have a look.

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

At the moment I have no opinion on Saturday morning racing but talk of racing Publications has reminded me that back in the 80s and 90s i used to buy a monthly magazine called ‘Pacemaker’

Terrific it was, real glossy and expensive looking with lots of pictures on quality paper………..and results of all european pattern races at the back……..

Being a heathen I used to cut some pictures out and put them in frames – I’ve still got them – Portraits of Ensconce, Old Vic, Nashwan, Desert Orchid, Shaadi and Nashwan and Cacoethes fighting out the finish of the King George.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

At the moment I have no opinion on Saturday morning racing but talk of racing Publications has reminded me that back in the 80s and 90s i used to buy a monthly magazine called ‘Pacemaker’

Terrific it was, real glossy and expensive looking with lots of pictures on quality paper………..and results of all european pattern races at the back……..

Being a heathen I used to cut some pictures out and put them in frames – I’ve still got them – Portraits of Ensconce, Old Vic, Nashwan, Desert Orchid, Shaadi and Nashwan and Cacoethes fighting out the finish of the King George.

Thoroughbred Owner & Breeder magazine now ‘incorporates’ Pacemaker as they bought the publication a few months back.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Thoroughbred Owner & Breeder magazine now ‘incorporates’ Pacemaker as they bought the publication a few months back.

Had a leaf through a recent issue. Not a patch on the original imo.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

RACING AHEAD

?

Colin

I think excellent is wide of the mark. The main team behind it seem driven and know what they are speaking of, and I hope they do well in that sense. But, many of the articles are written by people with little journalistic ability, the content is mixed in terms of quality, and the presentation could be better. Their customer service was atrocious when I was of the mind £27 (or whatever it is) was worth it for 12 issues by email, only for them to first of all to forget to send me the link for the month’s issue, and then to ignore my emails asking them where my link to the edition was.

I think a general smartening up, and removal of people writing articles who have little insight into the vagaries of horse racing and even less ability to write would serve them well; one gets the impression anyone who emailed the editor got a slot.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.