The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kempton 2.45 – Graduation Chase…

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Kempton 2.45 – Graduation Chase…

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

I put a fiver on Briareus :D

The moment I saw him against that opposition, I knew that he had a great chance of winning … he was the one to beat IMO. I’d also backed him in early 2006 when he won at 14-1. He’s a very good horse indeed.

andythornton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 171

Good shout Reet.

Briareus was a horse I liked a lot a few years and it is some training performance by Balding to bring him back against a race fit Nicholls inmate.

He is a trainer who is getting better every year.

yes,absolutely!last year,he made one of my rare ventures into flatracing pay,as top lock was third with martin dwyer in the german derby.but also in britain i had some success with him.btw:hows his father,does anyone know something?

andy

andythornton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 171

sorry,of course i meant THIS year.seems like i am already on a new years trip,lol!

• Total Posts 292

i didunt see the race yesterday will see it on dvd at work today, ground proved a little soft for blue, but still connections were very pleased with him…and ofcoarse well done to all with briareus… :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Becky

The ground was no worse than good at Kempton yesterday, and certainly much faster than when he ran his best ever race in last year’s County Hurdle.
    Just my view; the horse did little wrong, but probably needs a stiffer test to allow him more time at his fences, at this level.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Important to remember though, reet, that he likely isn’t going to be running "at this level" for the remainder of the season. He’s a cert to be dropped back into novice company after this, and on reflection, I think this was probably a reasonably strong performance for a novice chaser.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I think he’d have won had he been more fluent at the last. A good effort from him I think.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

With DJ on this one- he’s lost little in defeat there, and I thought that bar the last his jumping stood up quite well.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Right; now we’ve sorted Paul Nicholls out – who’s next. :lol:

• Total Posts 41

I would be waalking omly i have my plane ticket paid for already. Was let down by him, But I am still well up thanks to Mr. Nicholls this season so far. So I won’t abandon him yet.

Pro Handicapper
    • Total Posts 17

I put a fiver on Briareus :D

The moment I saw him against that opposition, I knew that he had a great chance of winning … he was the one to beat IMO. I’d also backed him in early 2006 when he won at 14-1. He’s a very good horse indeed.

Shocking aftertiming from Rob V there. Sickening and contemptible.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Cant see Blues winning any quality races over 2 miles on that performance. Looked slow and one paced down the straight with no obvious excuses. Easily picked off by a classier winnier imo.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Easily picked off by a classier winnier imo.

Maybe so, though where is the shame in that. Braireus’ hurdling form would be about a stone better than that of I’msingingtheblues.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

No shame at all DJ and he’ll probably go in again at skinny odds somewhere but the lack of basic speed would leave him short of what it takes to win an Arkle imo.

• Total Posts 2440

I personally think Imsingingtheblues will be better going left handed, he seems to jump out to the left a little at his fences.

• Total Posts 292

nicky richards said he thought blue would have won had he jumped the last better and that was the opinion of some othe people as well…
    but the name of the game is jumping so he got beat fair and square…

by the way the ground was good to soft aand at kempton that can be quite sticky compared to cheltenham on good to soft 2 completely different courses and turf!!!!!!
    connections were well pleased with the horse as was ruby who thought he should have made more use of him and his jumping……
    i wouldnt write him of as a arkle horse yet the stiffer 2m would probably suit him better….and being beaten in 1 race doesnt make him a bad horse….

David.C.
    • Total Posts 116

It looked a tough ask for I’msingingtheblues.He got what they must have wanted a good test,but he came through it well. He looked the winner three out and for the most part of the race. He did get in tight to the last,which didn’t help him, not least because the winner winged it, but for a horse having only his second run over fences, he responded well under pressure. The big advantage he had was fitness, I didn’t know Ruby’s thoughts, thanks backstair, maybe Ruby feels he should have exploited that a bit more, but to be fair I thought "blue" was the winner for the majority of the race. In hindsight it might have worked if Ruby had made more use of him, great thing hindsight!

This was the same course and distance as his first chase and with the softer ground contributing, it was about seven seconds slower than his debut here. He would be better suited to a faster surface.All in alI I thought it was a great performance from the first two. The others were ok but I was disappointed for Modicum. His last three runs have all been disappointing, which is a big shame as he looked to have a great future this time last year. Nicky Richards has got his string in good form now and I was hopeful of a big run form Modicum. I hope they discover the reason for his poor performance and he’s able to pick up his promising chasing career again.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.