The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes

Home Forums Horse Racing Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

The first all-aged Gr1 of the season which looks somewhat substandard but anyway:

Jeremy<br>Won Betfred Mile LTO at first try at 8f but looks Gr2 standard

Marcus Andronicus<br>2nd in French 2000 Guineas last year but yet to win since his maiden and unlikely to change here

Passager<br>Yet to race at Gr1 level but trip and going will suit. Trainer is shrewd and runners are not disgraced in UK.

Ramonti<br>Frontrunner. Interesting runner having been beaten only 1.75 lengths in Hong Kong Mile LTO (Dec-06). Beaten in both starts with Sft in going description (incl 8l in Gr1 at DEA) so going is major concern. The one to beat if ground is Gd or better.

Secret World<br>Ony run 3 times, all on Gd/Fm so considerably unexposed but no chance on those 3 races to-date.

Peeress<br>Top miler who won this race last year on Sft and subsequently 3rd in top-class mile race at DEA on Gd/Sft behind Librettist. The one to beat on Gd/Sft or worse.

Red Evie<br>Well beaten on only outing at a decent level on GS on last outing last season at NMK. Trainer said she was feeling the effects of a long season so if the going is not the issue, has a good chance of a place.

Speciosa<br>Frontrunner who runs particularly at NMK. Hasn’t won since made all in 1000 Guineas last year on Sft. Possiblt unsuited by both distance and going since. Possible place prospects as this is a significant step up in class (all-aged all-sex Gr1)

I think this hinges on the going with Peeress looking peerless on softer going and Ramonti looking the likely winner if it dries up at all.

Thoughts?

(Edited by davidbrady at 9:57 pm on May 17, 2007)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

With the ground officially Gd-GS in places, I’m going to plump for Ramonti.

I’d also like to thank all 4148 other members of TRF who contributed so insightfully to this wonderous thread!:biggrin:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Sorry about that db, missed it somehow??

I also thought Ramonti would win, in fact it was the bet of the day for me, and even after the race, remain convinced it was the best horse in the field.:( <br>What an extraordinary ride Frankie gave it; a confirmed front runner who wins its races by galloping the opposition into the ground, he was content to sit, from inside the first furlong till inside the last, and ride the horse for a turn of foot??<br>Now I know Mr Dettori is better than that, and one can only assume he was riding to the owners instructions but, as with Discreet Cat earlier in the season, they obviously did horse or jockey no favours at all. Maybe they were unsure how it would perform over a straight mile on this ground, but even so, had he got serious with the horse a little earlier he would surely have won this comfortably.<br>Forgive me hi-jacking your thread with a rant, but I still can’t believe such a cock-up should pass without comment.:(  <br>

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

FWIW, I thought Dettori’s ride was peculiar at best RH.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

It’s a long season and think they’ll be delighted with the run and Frankie’s ride on the horse’s first run for them. After all only beaten a head and will probably get further.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from yeats on 11:40 am on May 20, 2007[br]It’s a long season and think they’ll be delighted with the run and Frankie’s ride on the horse’s first run for them. After all only beaten a head and will probably get further.

You’re probably correct, Yeats, but it would be difficult to pretend the horse ran on its merits.<br>Just another example of the real problem in racing, an altogether much wider issue than banning a few chalk jockeys would ever solve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.