The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

JP McManus Horses….

Home Forums Horse Racing JP McManus Horses….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 735

While reading the Racing pages on Channel 4, I couldn’t help notice one lettet about JP’s bloodstock agent. Do we know who he is? I know Frank Berry is his Racing Manager. The point made was out of the ‘hundreds’ of horses he has, very few are top class. Now compare to Nicholls’ contacts.Considering the money the man has spent I’m not sure he’s done that well, (Istabraq, Baracouda,First Gold)excepted.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I don’t know about JP’s agent but surely he has lost millions in purchase costs and training fees balanced against prize money. Even allowing for his reputation as a punter with huge bets he must be a net loser on all racing/betting activity?

Does anyone have facts on the number of horses he has and likely overheads to keep these in training? My guess is around £2M per annum in fixed costs.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

All that as may be and it may be costing him but he looks like a man who is enjoying every penny. Jonjo may not be the trainer Nicholls is but there’s more to it than grinding out the winners.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

First Gold was already top class when JP bought him off the Marquessa de Moratella (sp?).

Participant
    • Total Posts 735

First Gold was already top class when JP bought him off the Marquessa de Moratella (sp?).

Yeah, that’s part of my point, the same with Baracouda. Forgive me but I can’t remember him having recently a top class chaser that he’s had from Bumpers to Novice Hurdle/Chaser. Maybe Wichita Lineman could be useful, providing they run him in the right races!!

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

From an RP interview with McCoy.

McCoy steadfastly defends the owner’s policy of keeping so many mediocre horses in training. He says: "I can’t understand why anyone would be critical of that, as these horses are keeping people in employment. As I’ve won quite a few races on the moderate ones, and they’ve therefore played a role in maintaining my position as champion jockey, I’m nothing else but grateful to them. Apart from that, JP enjoys watching his runners compete at all levels, so why should people want to begrudge him that?

(emphasis mine)

Trisons Star
    • Total Posts 11

On the whole the McManus operation seems sleepy and not to bothered about either the financial situation which must be running into millions or the performances of the horses.

It’s a hobby for JP Marb, with his loose change.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

didn’t he say that he wouldn’t call a horse Martinstown until he had found a really good one; what happened to Martinstown? still, at least he gives all of his horses a nice retirement and from what I’ve heard anyone is welcome to visit them.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

To say Jonjo may not be the trainer Nichols is laughable. Jonjo knows his craft inside out as does Nichol’s. They swapped stables and horse tomorow nothing would change except Sam the Bam might be mucking out instead of riding………guys very lucky to be where he is but he wouldn’t be Jonjo’s choice in a million years

Any yard get’s a little virus going round and it has a lean spell and it wouldn’t matter iif you were Vincent O’Brian himself there is nothing a trainer can do.

.JP made so much money of istabraq in the novice at cheltenham he could pay the stable bills for every horse he owned for 10 years and that’s only one touch he landed. He maybe spends million but he has won millions too.

I have heard it said he has landed several huge touches off course with those mediocre ones that win at silly prices……Who knows what he gets up to, we wouldn’t know a quarter of it. He is one of the most talked about guys in racing and stories are in abundance…..true or not who knows, but for sure he won’t be losing am mucg out of racing as we may think….way too clever for that.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

if I were going to make one intrusive comment about JP’s finances i’d say he’s infected the national hunt game with the green stuff.

If he was winning every big race every year, he’d be getting criticised for throwing his money around and making it impossible for smaller owners to do well.

Can’t win.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

To say Jonjo may not be the trainer Nichols is laughable. Jonjo knows his craft inside out as does Nichol’s. They swapped stables and horse tomorow nothing would change

I doubt that very much…..

Its up to JP what he does. I must admit it is a little hard to see what satisfaction he gets from it but everyones different.

Who would posters consider to be the shrewdest owner in jumps racing? Trevor hemmings seems to have a nice quality team, but I mist say its not something i take lots of notice of, so interested to hear…

Avatar photoPeter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 553

.Who would posters consider to be the shrewdest owner in jumps racing? Trevor hemmings seems to have a nice quality team,

My choice for shrewdest owner would be Paul Barber. The quality he’s had with relatively few in training is staggering.

TH gets good un’s also, but I wish he would not make Aintree the "be all and end all" for his team. Some of them just don’t like the place and he keeps on running them there anyway :roll:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

From an RP interview with McCoy.

McCoy steadfastly defends the owner’s policy of keeping so many mediocre horses in training. He says: "I can’t understand why anyone would be critical of that, as these horses are keeping people in employment. As I’ve won quite a few races on the moderate ones, and they’ve therefore played a role in maintaining my position as champion jockey, I’m nothing else but grateful to them. Apart from that, JP enjoys watching his runners compete at all levels, so why should people want to begrudge him that?

(emphasis mine)

Quote by JP himself:
    :"For me, jump racing is a hobby and hobbies cost money. I’m not in it commercially. I get a lot of pleasure from the game and try to lose as little money as possible at it."

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

A trainer once told me a story about JP from many years ago. Mcmanus sent a horse over from Ireland to said trainer and asked him to train the horse. Mcmanus has never had any horses in training with this trainer either before or since, and he asked that the horse wasn’t put in has name, but that of the trainer.

After a few months of training JP rang the trainer and said he wanted said horse to run in a particular race, which was a seller. The trainer protested that the horse was extremely good and he shouldn’t risk running him in a seller, but Mcmanus was insistant.

The horse subsequently ran in the seller and was backed down at all prices from 50-1 to 6-4, and apparently won by half the track. The trainer bought the horse back at the post race auction, and awaited instructions as to when to run him next.

A few days later a letter arrived which contained a cheque, not only to cover training costs but also to cover the cost of buying the horse back, and stated that JP no longer needed the horse and that he was the trainers to keep for nothing.

If true and I’ve no reason to believe its not then it illustrates that JP Mcmanus motives for owning are different to most.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3762

[quote="AndyRAC

Forgive me but I can’t remember him having recently a top class chaser that he’s had from Bumpers to Novice Hurdle/Chaser.

Clan Royal ?

Admittedly not top class in the Gold Cup sense, but if he’d won a National …..

AP

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Although I’ve been a little bit disparaging about him in the past, and don’t really have him down as ‘top-class’, I would imagine that L’Ami is JP’s best chaser by several lbs.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Interesting story alan …but baffles me somewhat as well

Whats the point? If hes as rich as we are told, you would think that slightly tacky little strokes like this would have been left well behind

Stil…maybe thats why im poor :(

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.