The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jonjo O'Neill

Home Forums Horse Racing Jonjo O'Neill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

It is no secret of the trouble they have had of late, but the yard do seem to have serious problems, whether it be the virus, the trainer, the horses or perhaps a combination of the three. Mikado was a very smart performer on the Flat at 3 for Aidan O’Brien. Now I know he had been off a year but he jumped and ran deplorably. I didn’t back it, infact if you see the Solerina/Harchoibald thread you can see I wanted to be against it but when can punters ever back a Jonjo horse and expect it to come up to scratch. It could be another difficult winter for them I think.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Ahem…..cue across the card double.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Think I would speak for many when I say that my money rarely follows this yard

Nothing sinister, like some feel….just not very good at making the best of what they have on a consistent basis

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Agree entirely.<br>The yard has great financial backing but has its fair share of expensive disappointing types.<br>The acid test will be if the yard can consistently compete with Pipe, Nicholls, Hobbs etc , especially in the big races

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

It could be worse, he could be Godolphin – 250 expensive two-year-olds and not a good ‘un amongst them. Who buys the damn things and how do they keep their jobs?

irisgift1
    • Total Posts 70

for god sake the yard has just got over one of the biggest virus’s any yard has had, so are you telling me the 3 horses that won the other day was just a fluke.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

The three winners the other day were encouraging, although expensive recruit Mikado (ex O’Brien on the flat) trailed in fifth on first try over hurdles whilst backed to do well.<br>Acid test is whether yard fires in big winners.<br>Big meetings different kettle of fish to M.Rasen and Uttoxeter

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

An honest, hard-working operation – I wish them well for the forthcoming season!

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I think Jonjo is a much overrated trainer based on his riding career.  (A bit like top hurdler going chasing!)  Virtually any competent trainer can win modest races with expensive horses, L Lungo a prime example.

The real test for a big name yard is in winning top class races on a regular basis and giving their wealthy owners a lot of success at big meetings.  There are about ten lesser known trainers on my list of candidates from my next horse and none of these are anywhere near the top of the prize money lists.<br>

irisgift1
    • Total Posts 70

everybody knows about last season being a write-off. doesn’t anybody remember the two seasons before that when jonjo was regularly competing for top honours. top trainer at chelt + aint. let the horses get fit, they’ve all had the best part of a year off and have been very ill. wait until they’re all back and then give the little man stick if he still doesn’t win

quixallcrossettquixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

After the indifferent form of Jonjo’s horses, he had 6 winners today at Hereford/Carlisle, just in time for the NH season revving up. good to see he appears to be on the up.

irisgift1
    • Total Posts 70

lets hope it stays like that:cheesy: it’s about time he had a good season.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

How is Iris’s Gift? Hope he’s summered well and being aimed at the Welsh National.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5108

It looks promising though it’s difficult to be dogmatic about the ‘wellbeing’ of unexposed novice chase and bumper winners as it’s a question of what did they beat? but at least the exposed Hawk’s Landing went more sweetly than for a while off a break. Didn’t think he’d relish the Carlisle hill one bit but McCoy didn’t have to get too serious on him. Good ride all the same.

Looking forward to seeing Iris’s Gift again too.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Six swallows don’t make a summer :)

I’m still of the opinion O’Neill is a grossly overrated as a trainer of winners.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 195 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.