The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s Season 9

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Joni’s Poni’s Season 9

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

An interesting weekend of racing with the O’Brien Derby taking centre stage ;) A few bets lined up…

£50 win Limato – 4-1 – Newmarket 2.40 winner (5-1)
    £100 win Born A King – 15-8 – Redcar 3.25 lost
    £50ew Australis – 5-1 – Newcastle 3.35 placed
    £100 win Santiago – 11-4 – Curragh 7.15 winner
    £50 win Master of Reality – 11-4 – Curragh 7.45 lost
    £2 win Canadian

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

This one was a major eye-catcher last time and this is much easier..

£150 win New Chapter – 7-4 – Windsor 12.45 lost

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9980

Nice couple of winners Joni ..can you believe that a Group horse like Limato went off at 5/1 .. wasn’t he amazing. :rose: wish I’d been there.
    Good luck with new Chapter. :good:
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

+£872.59

Thanks Jac. Yes I think that will take some beating as my “moment of the season”. Wonderful to see the old boy still retaining all that ability and looking better than ever!

Disappointed with New Chapter today but I am sure we will recuperate at some point once he is stepped up in trip.

A nice winner for Frankel in France as Restiany was given a great ride from the front. I had a few quid on him but don’t like putting up French Frankel’s on here as they only win when they are ridden properly. Frankel’s are generally not suited by French races that tend to be slowly run, tactical affairs. If Bonne Idee is ridden similarly next weekend then expect her to run a huge race at a big price. Looking forward to her and of course Frankly Darling. I’m hoping we get a bit of rain as I still think Love will be very difficult to beat on quick ground. I’ll be doing a little dance every morning. :good:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

£50ew Vatican City – 8-1 – The Derby lost

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

It really doesn’t get any better than this weekend does it? The Oaks, The Derby, The Eclipse! Love, Frankly Darling, English King, Mogul, Enable, Ghaiyyath, Japan. It’s like an “A” list of top quality horses. I can’t wait.

I’m not going large today. I have my juicy 25-1 on Frankly Darling and a few quid on Vatican City and I’m just adding a few bits and pieces to these bets. Here are my thoughts on the two big races today:

I see the Oaks this year as being similar to the year Enable won it. Do you remember? Rhododendron had run a huge race in the Guineas and was odds-on to go one better in the Oaks. She bore down on Enable two furlongs out and just for a moment you thought she would put the race to bed. But Frankie is one of the greatest jockeys to have ever breathed and he knew he was on a filly that stayed every yard and he had got the fractions just right. He repelled the challenge and she won going away.

It will be the same tactics today. I think the other Gosden horse (owned by the same connections as FD) will cut out a decent gallop and Frankie will sit handy. (I pray she settles!) He’ll commit early in the straight and play “catch me if you can”. Love will come bearing down on her and will either a) sweep past and win majestically or b) run out of gas and get outstayed. You have to decide which of those it will be. I love Love (😂) and she owes me nothing after the Guineas and she could just be something special. But I don’t see the value in her now especially since there has been plenty of rain this week and there will be a little bit of juice in the ground. She may still be way too good for this field but she may also blow out. Just in case she does and just in case FD doesn’t settle I have had a few quid on the other Aiden filly who is guaranteed to stay and ran really well in the Ribblesdale – Ennistyman It will be a hell of a race and I’d love FD to win as it could make my season and would be another classic for Frankel. Let’s see what happens but the one standout comment from connections this week came from Anthony Oppenheimer “we thought long and hard about running her in the Derby.” I think Frankly Darling could be a bit good..

I think the Derby is a very tough race to call this year as reflected by the prices which you’d be more used to seeing in a wide-open handicap. Any one of 9 or 10 could win and you wouldn’t be surprised so it’s a bit of a guessing game. I liked the way Vatican City finished off in the Irish Guineas but there has to be a question mark over whether he’ll stay and he appears to be 3rd choice on jockey bookings (not that that has always been a reliable predictor!). I can’t ignore the noise around Mogul. I have a feeling that the King Edward was the best trial for this race and he blew up in the final furlong having briefly looked threatening. He’ll be a different animal today and he has the faith and assistance of one of the other great jockeys of our lifetimes in Ryan Moore. He has drifted to a very attractive price and is worth a few quid. But if HE is an attractive price then so is the horse who beat him hands down at Ascot. If Pyledriver was trained by Aiden he would be favourite for this race. I just watched the KE again and there seemed to be no fluke about his win. He travelled beautifully and cruised to the lead looking like a class horse. He quickened and he saw the trip out well. I honestly can’t see what’s not to like. Ok perhaps he had a fitness advantage and perhaps there are one or two who will improve past him but I can’t see why the convincing winner of the best trial is 18-1! He’ll have a bit of my money riding on him anyway. There are so many other dangers. English King must have a chance for Frankie (but I can’t help thinking he beat an out and out stayer at Lingfield). Kameko is a classic winner (was it the strongest race and will he be as effective over the extra half-mile?) Russian Kingdom looks rock solid but I think the race at Ascot fell into his lap. There are probably others I could mention. Not a race worth putting your life-savings on but fascinating nonetheless. Whatever happens – enjoy the day folks and remember we have a wonderful dessert tomorrow!

£25ew Ennistyman – 13-2 – The Oaks placed
    £50 win Mogul – 8-1 – The Derby lost
    £25ew Pyledriver – 18-1 – The Derby lost
    Already advised:
    £50ew Frankly Darling – 25-1 – The Oaks placed
    £50ew Vatican City – 8-1 – The Derby lost

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5864

Good luck Joni this week

And trip just to say there a 2yo summary thread in notebooks forum don’t go to the one i start but the other instead that thread up 1st

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9980

Will do Darren.. Hope to be there soon, no real dark horses at the moment. :good:

Best of luck Joni, so nice to have decent racing back. Jac :rose:

jimmy gimini
    Participant
    • Total Posts 198

You’re sitting very nicely there on frankly darling I’d personally put a saver on love. Nothings coming past these two

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

Thanks guys – Jimmy you were right but I had a nice ew price on FD so wasn’t too worried about laying off. Love is clearly an exceptional filly and I think she will be difficult to beat wherever she runs next. Have to say I was completely perplexed by Frankie’s tactics there. It was the last thing I expected – them to be sat out the back BEHIND Love on a guaranteed stayer. Still – it wouldn’t have made much difference. Just thought it was odd…?

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

What a crazy race The Derby was hey?!. Watching it live I said to my boys “they’re not going that quick here”. Then Serpentine quickens 5f out and the others inexplicably ignore him and you just know they’re not going to catch him. Terrible misjudgement from so many experienced jockeys. The front 3 didn’t change all race. I think we’ll find that the 4th, 5th and 6th should really have been the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

A crazy day today and I must say I felt pretty much underwhelmed by the end of it. A very disappointing run from Frankly Darling who apparently didn’t handle the track and a farcical Derby. Never mind – tomorrow is another day and I have a few bets including the wonder mare Enable!

£50ew Mishriff – 9-1 – French Derby winner
    £50 win Peaceful – 3-1 – French Oaks lost
    £50 win Cross Counter – 7-4 – 2.25 Sandown lost
    £100 win Enable – 11-10 – The Eclipse lost
    £50 win Global Giant – 10-3 – Sandown 4.05 lost
    £2 win 5 folds, £5 win 4 folds, £10 win trebles

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9980

As you said Joni a very underwhelming day but Love made it for me absolutely powered home. :good: What a price you got for FD she just didn’t go on the track and the Derby well it really was a jaw dropper but what a lovely long striding horse Serpentine is, wish I’d seen him before this. Sure he’ll repay you in time.

Peaceful and Ghaiyyath for me tomorrow, lost my decent AP on her on The Oaks but backed her again st 7/2 for the Prix Diane :heart: Jac
    Havng a Godolphin day at Sandown tomorrow really like Lazuli for The Charge and Victor Ludorum in France.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9980

Mishriff saved the day for you Joni and Ghaiyyath did for me..what a fantastic horse he’s turned into can still remember when he was a 2yo and you came to Newmarket and we picked him out in the pre-parade..you couldn’t miss him :heart:
    Don’t think a lot of horses liked that gusting wind today and Peaceful so unlucky..July Meeting next..best of luck. Jac :good:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4223

+£1,043.09

Hi Jac. Yes saved by Mishriff – that form with Waldkonig doesn’t look so bad now does it…? Kicking myself with Ghaiyyath as have always been a fan but he’s one of those horses that I feel brings me bad luck as every time I back him he throws in a bad one. I didn’t back him on Sunday as he’s never won after such a short lay-off. But he’s clearly grown up a lot and is a serious player now. Can’t wait for the rematch in the King George..!

This week is all about Highest Ground for me. Can’t wait to see him in action again.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.