The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 346 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well Steve I thought that was ominous yesterday. I said at the start of this thread that I thought the Irish trained horses were way ahead of ours and yesterday seemed to bear that out. The first three home were all Irish trained and there was a massive 8 lengths back to one of ours. I know they might not have been our stongest Epsom hopes but neither were those three theirs!

Was delighted to see BOM’s form boosted by the winner and see he is now a top priced 7-1. All in all I am very happy with my AP positions – GV 25’s (I will tuck in again at 20’s as soon as he is confirmed for the race as he is going to fly on that fast ground next week), Hot Snap 40’s, Moth 14’s, Viztoria 16’s (apart from Viztoria I am in a great position. I fear the french horse), BOM 16’s, Liber Nauticus 25’s, Hot Snap 25’s.

I thought Riposte ran a race brimming with promise. She had to be switched at a crucial time and TQ saw he wasn’t going to win so just pushed her out hands and heels. I see her as a possible Ribblesdale type.

On to today and as Stevie boy says it is the return of

Tommy Chip!

I have always been a big fan of this horse since I saw him win at Newmarket last season. I think he will have a good season as they always thought he would be a better 4 year old.

My only worry is that he has needed his first outing both times so far in his career but he will love the ground and trip so I will back him to win. The chief danger is another horse I like Ektihamm who DOES go well fto. I will do a rev/fc just in case.

I think will Cecil will have two other winners.

Continumm

is a brother to Passage of Time and Timepiece and they have always liked him. He works with Noble Mission and it is notable that he has been kept in training. I will back him to win at 5-2 in what looks a very ordinary race.

Tomintoul Magic

works with no other than Hot Snap and again this does not look a tough assignment. I experct her to win and have backed her at 9-4

Why not a cheeky little treble as well!

So my bets today are:

£100 win Thomas Chippendale 3-1 – 3.15 Sandown
    £25 Rev f/c TC and Ektihaam
    £100 win Continuum 5-2 – 5.05 Leicester
    £100 win Tomintoul Magic 9-4 – 6.15 Doncaster
    £50 win treble TC, Continuum, TM

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£25 Rev f/c TC and Ektihaam –

£100 win Continuum 5-2 – 5.05 Leicester –

£100 win Tomintoul Magic 9-4 – 6.15 Doncaster –

£50 win treble TC, Continuum, TM –

A hugely frustrating day with a real dose of seconditus! They all ran well but with the exception of Continuum who should have won, no excuses. I was pleased with Tommy Chip who will step back up in trip after this.

Total £830

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 91

£25 Rev f/c TC and Ektihaam –

£100 win Continuum 5-2 – 5.05 Leicester –

£100 win Tomintoul Magic 9-4 – 6.15 Doncaster –

£50 win treble TC, Continuum, TM –

A hugely frustrating day with a real dose of seconditus! They all ran well but with the exception of Continuum who should have won, no excuses. I was pleased with Tommy Chip who will step back up in trip after this.

V frustrating joni :(

Here’s hoping Sir H can turn the 2nds into 1sts :)

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A new day and a chance to recoup yesterdays losses on a new favourite of mine. It has been a terrible week for Godolphin but hopefully Sajjhaa can give them something to smile about in Sha Tin. She has been in great heart this Spring and 6-1 is a nice ew price.

£50 ew Sajjhaa 6-1 – Sha Tin 9.35

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A new day and a chance to recoup yesterdays losses on a new favourite of mine. It has been a terrible week for Godolphin but hopefully Sajjhaa can give them something to smile about in Sha Tin. She has been in great heart this Spring and 6-1 is a nice ew price.

£50 ew Sajjhaa 6-1 – Sha Tin 9.35 –

A weekend to forget! She missed the break, got caught wide then was pipped for 3rd! :oops:

Total £730

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

As the countdown continues to the weekend and the first classics there are a couple of decent races at Ascot tomorrow.

I like to follow my instincts with some horses and there are two running tomorrow that I have followed for some time.

Stipulate

reverts back to a mile but I think he should be good enough to see off these. He will be the first of Sir Henry’s to run for the second time this season so will be interesting to see if he has come on for his very respectable first run. As there is a flat 8 and he could potentially drift I will back him ew at 7-2.

Sir Graham Wade

was very progressive last year and I would be disappointed if he didn’t show that debut return to be all wrong. Mark J said he was badly in need of that run so I expect to see a different horse tomorrow. Again I will back him ew at 11-2.

£50ew Stipulate 7-2 BOG – 3.00 Ascot
    £25ew Sir Graham Wade 11-2 BOG – 3.35 Ascot

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£50ew Stipulate 7-2 BOG – 3.00 Ascot – placed
    £25ew Sir Graham Wade 11-2 BOG – 3.35 Ascot – placed

Both ran well without looking like winning. Stipulate is a horse without a trip. Too slow for a mile and doesnt quite get home over 10f.

Have to say I am disappointed that GV looks the 3rd string especially as he is going to get his ground. Everyone thinks it is a 2 horse race. I am not so sure…..

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So what a weekend of racing we have in store. Possibly my favourite weekend of the year and, as always at this time of year, I find myself stranded on a family holiday desperately thinking of ways in which I will still be able to see the racing. This time round we are in Dorset for the weekend, which should be lovely, but how can I think about fun family things when I have a 40-1 ante post tip going off at 5-2?!!!! How I wish I could be at Newmarket watching

Hot Snap

showing why she could be one of the best fillies we have seen in years. But alas no.

As you can gather, my confidence is high about Hot Snap on Sunday. Surprisingly, a lot of people who were impressed on the day of the Nell Gwyn have since started to doubt the form that day. I see this a lot. People forget the impression a horse made on the day and then over-analyse it trying to find holes where there are none.

The big hole seems to have something to do with the wind at Newmarket that day and that she may only have won because she was sheltered from it. I am sorry but I have never heard this excuse before and I don’t buy it for a single second. For a start, she was out the back for the most part so would not have been protected from any cross wind. Secondly she was in the clear along the rail fully two and a half out so wouldn’t have been protected from any head wind.

I think the big problem is this was only her second run and people are inclined to think it could have been a fluke. If she had put that performance in having run three times as a 2 year old she would probably be even money now but the fact is she had only really scraped home in a Kempton maiden.

I have read that some people even think Sky Lantern could turn the tables on her. How DO they work that one out? HS was incredibly green and must have any amount of improvement in her. SL was racing for the 7th time. She may come on for the run and benefit from the extra distance but so will HS. All things being equal you would surely expect HS to increase her superiority or at least maintain if you take into account the 3lb pull.

Of the others I suppose What A Name has to be considered as she has rock solid form but none of it matches what HS managed on only her second run.

I am deliriously happy to be going in to the race with my 40-1 voucher and can’t quite believe my fortune in having it!

For me the main danger is my other AP bet

Moth

. She has stones to make up on form but she is clearly very smart and the turn of foot she showed in winning her maiden was impressive. I have a feeling that like all her siblings she will prove more effective over slightly further but she could still be classy enough to push my girl all the way.

But for me it is Hot Snap all the way to provide her master trainer with his 26th classic. (Although according to some on the main thread recently this is nothing to do with him being a great trainer more about luck, money and staff). :roll:

What about tomorrow?

The more I look at the race the less I fancy the favourite. I am not sure he will even BE the favourite come tomorrow. Why don’t I fancy him? I don’t even really know – I just never really took to him last year and thought he was the best of an average bunch. I suppose the fact that he won the very first 2 year old race of the season made me think that others would improve past him this year. I also didn’t like that flat spot he hit in the Dewhurst.

Saying that, if the ground had some juice in it tomorrow I WOULD fancy him to win it. I just think something might have too much speed for him.

As you know I am on GV at 25’s and I would normally be cock a hoop as he has his ground and I DO still expect him to run well. But even I can’t put a positive spin on the jockey booking. He looks the stable third string doesn’t he. Mars would have to be the next Frankel to win after only one maiden win but I know they DO really like him. CC is an obvious contender and JOB’s pick and I think he may be more likely to deliver for Gord than DA is. Sir H sends his maiden

Kylacchy Rise

and it is interesting that the Newmarket man in the Weekender tips him over Moohajim. I can’t see it myself but there is no way I am not going to have a little ew at 66’s as I still haven’t forgiven myself for not backing JQ in that 1,000. In the last ten years Henry has sent 2 horses to Guineas races and they have both finished first past the post. Don’t just think he is there for a day out for his owners.

The other one I have finally backed after much consideration and after missing all the good prices is

Toronado

I was watching the video of his Craven win again last night and by god it was impressive. You can say what you want about the opposition but they were decent sorts and he just blew them away. He flew over that quick ground, put his head down, stretched and sprinted all the way to the line. I am not sure DA will see him for dust and I see few chinks in his armour. We know he is fit, we know he acts on the track, we know he likes the ground, we know he gets the trip, we know he has a good jockey, we know he has plenty of class. Really what’s not to like.

So to sum up I would love GV to win or be placed, I would LOVE KR to run a stonker, but I THINK Toronado will be too good for all of them.

£15ew Kylacchy Rise 66-1 – 2,000 Guineas
    £150win Toronado 2-1 – 2,000 Guineas

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

One more bet for tomorrow. I would be disappointed if

Noble Mission

can’t turn the tables on Universal now that he has shaken the cobwebs off and has better ground. Still hoping this one can develop into a Group 1 horse. Will have to win well tomorrow but I expect him to.

£100win Noble Mission 2-1 BOG – 3.10 Newmarket

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Quick post while the kiddies watch TV and the wife slaps her mud on.

A brilliant win by DA yesterday and I am happy to put my hands up and say I could not have got it more wrong. He was magnificent and I don’t buy all the "what did he beat?" rubbish. They said the same about Frankel but the fact is it was a 2 horse race from halfway and DA DESTROYED Toronado. Perhaps Hughesie could have finished second if he had ridden him for second but he had no answer to the power of the Bolger horse.

I also have to swallow many of the things I have said about Mr Bolger in the past. His preparation of this horse has been faultless and the way he conducted himself before and after the race was humble and modest.

I am struggling to see how this horse will get beat this season as he looked better the further he went. The Derby almost looks a formality.

Finally – I literally fell off my chair when I saw YOU KNOW WHO leading him in. I just thank god I wasnt there – I would have been SOOOO embarrassed!

On to today and of course it is just about one horse for me. After coping with sleepless nights every time Frankel ran I am now much better at dealing with the nerves but even so there are a few butterflies this morning.

My only worry is if TQ gets her too far behind as they are not making up much ground on this quick surface. If she gets a decent position I think her class will tell and she will win going away.

Elsewhere on the day will be fascinated to see how Magic of Reality goes second time out.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Finally – I literally fell off my chair when I saw YOU KNOW WHO leading him in. I just thank god I wasnt there – I would have been SOOOO embarrassed!

You know I asked ‘Farra’ (As in Mo)if I could have the pleasure
    of leading

My

horse in! :lol: !Being the only one on the course with 20’s hangin out me Ar*e pocket I had to show my old ‘Workforce’ mate Mellish, so again

wandered

off to where he and Lydia were working and in typical Modest Mellish fashion he congratulated me,I did thank him for cementing my opinion of my 25/1 Derby winner with his comments from Goodwood…….."He couldn’t pull him up"! A day in a Million mate that I dedicate to

Darlan

,A Champion hurdler who would have given me yet another legendary coup! :lol:
    Today is your turn though,you are sitting with 40’s hangin out over that waist of yours on the appropriately named

Hot Snap

,from a purely selfish side I’d like to see her running on all too late and failing to get up on

Agent Allison

as she will then run away with the Oaks and yours truly will have landed yet another legendary coup! From a realistic point of view your filly is a certainty to place at worst,any luck and she wins by 3 lengths going away so 5/2 today is still generous,whatever she does today she wins the Oaks,may I suggest taking the 8’s now before she goes 7/4 at 4pm! Good Luck,fine judge that you are! :D

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£75 ew George Vancouver 25-1 – 2,000 Guineas –

£50 ew Viztoria 16-1 – 1,000 Guineas –

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£75ew Moth – 14-1 1,000 Guineas

– placed

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£25ew Hot Snap – 40-1 1,000 Guineas –

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£15ew Kylacchy Rise 66-1 – 2,000 Guineas –

£150win Toronado 2-1 – 2,000 Guineas –

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£100win Noble Mission 2-1 BOG – 3.10 Newmarket –

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

As disappointing a weekend as I can remember in a long time. Absolutely gutted today. Can’t fathom it as she beat the winner convincingly last time. Ground perhaps. Oh well. That’s racing!

Total £340

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 346 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.