The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

John Gosden quote in the RP

Home Forums Horse Racing John Gosden quote in the RP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

‘Football is the new religion in this country and it’s easier to win at than racing.’

Vindicates some of the ‘moaners’ on here, doesn’t it?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

1. Racing appeals more to the intelligence than football.

2. We are living through a time where dumbing-down has become something of a religion in itself, and intelligence is discounted as being somehow "elitist".

3. Thus football is the modern God, and racing is thought of as an elitist sport.

4. It’s easier to lure simple people into betting when (in essence) there are only two runners.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that. I find football boring and the fans are usually scum, or at least behave like scum for a few hours either side of the match.

What some of the ‘moaners’ on here have been castigated for is simply pointing how difficult it can be to follow the turf. For some reason this offends the anoraks.

I have pointed out on here several times that a good deal of flat racing is made so difficult one way and another that the chances of broadening the sport’s appeal are thin at best. This offends the anoraks as well, yet it is completely obvious.

Yet a top trainer who carries a lot of respect says it. What do the anoraks say to Mr Gosden?

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1406

Wouldn’t agree football is easier to win at. It’s easier to pick a winner but it would be when you are betting on three outcomes. My suspicions would be its far harder to find value on football betting.

He’s right though that football is like a religion and people are brought up on it so they have a good understanding so it makes sense for them to bet on something they can relate to.

You won’t find many football fans on a weekend that won’t have their £2 acca on 23 home team wins etc :lol:

Candy from a baby.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 916

Certainly agree about dumbing down being the new religion in this country. It’s compulsory in schools and on TV. Can’t think why the new-look Morning Line sprang to mind as soon as I saw the phrase "dumbing down".
    I also can’t think why, having read "football" and "scum" on the next post, Wayne Rooney also suddenly sprang to mind. Nearly forgot that he’s the idol of the dumbing-down brigade.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.