The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joe’s Edge

Home Forums Memorials Joe’s Edge

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Nice tribute on Facebook”

“Joe’s Edge, Aintree, Cheltenham and Scottish National winner, sadly left us today, the 13th March, 14 years to the day of his win at the Cheltenham Festival. He was 24 years old.
    Named after my grandfather, Joseph Edge, he gave both our family and friends unbelievable memories and joy, both during his racing days and retirement. He was described as a true Christian and a total gent by his trainer Ferdy Murphy when he sat our daughters, then aged 4 and 7, on his back and walked them around the yard. Ferdy loved Joe and Joe always remembered Ferdy when he came to visit his old friend during his retirement.
    Joe gave us the most incredible times that money truly could not buy and we will be forever grateful. He will stay in our hearts forever.
    Goodnight, God Bless Joe xx “

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

This has reduced me to tears. I used to back Joe’s Edge and I remember years and years ago seeing him at Wetherby. I was very close to him after he’d come in after the race and he’d not run well at all. But his owner was there with two little girls, presumably the daughters mentioned in his tribute. She was stroking him, calling him Joe and telling him what a good boy he was and she so very clearly loved him. She was saying to the girls ‘hasn’t Joe done well?’ and the girls were agreeing and telling him how good he was and the little girls were patting him. I remember how touched I was by it – they weren’t bothered about people noticing them or looking at them, just bothered about making their horse feel loved. So pleased to hear that he stayed with them and has had a life in which he was loved. RIP Joe.

Participant
    • Total Posts 188

A lovely tribute from the owner and what a beautiful memory you shared Bonanzaboy.

RIP Joe.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Lovely memory Bonanzaboy. Do you mind if I share it to the owner’s post? I am sure she’d love to read it.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Not at all Tonge, go for it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Immediate replies from owners:

“the Charlie Hall Chase U/R Keith Mercer. Fab times lovely to reminisce and thank you for sharing ”

“aw he was that loved right up until the end ❤️ my best friend I don’t think any horse will ever come close to the love I have for joe xx”

what lovely people. It’s been a dark time for racing but this story has really lifted my spirits. R.I.P. Joe

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Thanks for that Tonge. I’ll never forgot the incident, it was just so so nice. So sad that Joe has died but overjoyed to discover that he had such a lovely life. Horses just disappear and you just fear the worst, but here’s an example that it can mean something really good.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

And another (together with a photo of the girls standing next to Joe in his stable):

“thank you so so much for sharing this 🙏 My family and I feel so blessed to have had Joes Edge, and as the lovely person who wrote this noticed, he was loved so very much right from the start, win or lose. My daughter Lana is one of the little girls who was patting him and together we had the absolute joy of looking after him at home for 12 years. To think someone noticed this and has taken the time to write this post is just wonderful as it has brought me some comfort at this awfully sad time, so thank you once again Catherine for sharing this. 💕 x”

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Great tribute…. Does anyone have the link to the Facebook post?

Trivia question: Does anyone remember what his win in the 2005 Scottish National meant?

Anyway, I guess he had a fantastic retirement and a very happy life after racing as well.
    Brings back memories of the good old days when Ferdy was also around and had his annual Festival winner.

May he rest in peace

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Tonge this has filled my heart. Thank you so much for posting the owners comments.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

What a really lovely tribute to this much loved horse and his caring owners and also what a lovely acknowledgement of Bonanzaboy’s memories of Joe win of lose.
    Nice to know he lived out his days surrounded by love. RIP Joe ⚘

Thanks Tonge for sharing that with us.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

My pleasure. I think we all need stories like this after the past few weeks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.