The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jockeys – Who Do you Like and Dislike? ? ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Jockeys – Who Do you Like and Dislike? ? ?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

The longer-term sufferers of my ceaseless prattle will think I’ve gone soft if I don’t take the opportunity to nominate Richard Guest, so, um, Richard Guest.

There, done it!

I like Timmy Murphy as well, did also like the aforementioned Gypsy Dave Goulding, plus anyone else more given to acts of horsemanship than thrashing as a first or second resort.

Basically, though, anyone at all who can control half a ton of flesh at up to 40mph in race conditions without constituting a lethal threat to the horse or themselves is doing a better job than b*ggerlooks here ever could.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

I think one of the most improving jockeys over the jumps is Liam Heard. Went to Uttoxeter a couple of weeks back and he gave a horse called Gone To Lunch a fantastic ride.

Otherwise, no surprises its AP Mccoy for me.

Over the flat I like Seb Sanders and Ryan Moore. Always seem to give a horse a chance if its good enough to win.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Not a great one for following jockeys, but Ryan and Kerrin would certainly be my favourites. Kerrin is very cool and stylish and i think Ryan is the biggest talent we have seen in years.

I dislike Fallon.

Hard to dislike any jump jockey given the nature of their game. Like so many though, i am a big fan of Ruby

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Oh, I tend like any jockey who wins on the horse I have backed. I dislike them (for a few minutes) if they don’t win. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I’m not a great fan of flat Jockeys but Frankie was definately one of the all time greats. Scobie, Pat Eddery and Ron Hutchison would be up there

But only one man can be called the greatest Lester.

The Jumps I much prefer and my type of Jocky is not just the one who gets most winners

I thought Richard Pitmans riding of Crisp in the National was diobolical..he was like a sack of potatoes on the run in.

Neil Doughty who would have put another jockey through the rails as quick as look at them. Definately one for the bad book. Ger Lyons is another for reasons I don’t want to mention.

On The good side the list is endless

North

David Goulding and the late PA Charlton could both put a horses to sleep like no other jockeys I ever saw……they both had great hands. Mark Dwyer, Jonjo, Phil Tulk and Big Ron Barry you couldn’t help but respect. I used to love watching Alan Brown who had the worst style imaginable but boy could he ride winners.

South

Scu was a complete animal but a great man to have on you side.

Francome was one of the best horseman ever but weak in a finish.

The old school Gifford, Biddlecome,Haine Rees and Nicholson were all excellent.

Mick Fitzgerald a class act, Steve Smtch Eccles came out of the same mould.

Every Irish Jockey that ever crossed the water

But McCoy has it all.

I’m an old godger but this kid is a machine. He steals races that he should never win.

It’s like he’s got this clock inside his head that says GO NOW and he just out thinks everyeone. He’s got a brilliant mind and works as hard as any jockey if not harder.

Best of all time Tony McCoy.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

The longer-term sufferers of my ceaseless prattle will think I’ve gone soft if I don’t take the opportunity to nominate Richard Guest, so, um, Richard Guest

gc

Must have been privvy to some inside information on one of his many betting coups, to nominate him, Jeremy.
    Its the equivalent to nominating Hitler for the Noble Peace prize. :roll:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

The longer-term sufferers of my ceaseless prattle will think I’ve gone soft if I don’t take the opportunity to nominate Richard Guest, so, um, Richard Guest

gc

Must have been privvy to some inside information on one of his many betting coups, to nominate him, Jeremy.

Doulbled up laughing when I read your comment (Sorry Jeremy) I backed Red Maurader in the National and was wishing someone else was riding him over the last 3 fences. Always reminded me of an accident waiting to happen.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

gc

I take it young sir overlooked my praising the virtues of horsemanship over thrashing?

Seeing as how you asked, though; Guesty probably doesn’t know me from Adam (despite maintaining a blog on his yard for a couple of years before other commitments got in the way), and we’ve certainly never spoken, never mind exchanged information. But many of my biggest paydays have been on horses he’s ridden or trained (or even trainer-ridden), simply by limiting my playing to certain courses where he maintains a high strike-rate, and / or to relatively or completely unexposed novice handicap chasers. Nothing more tricksy to any of that than bothering to do one’s homework.

Not the smartest eleven words ever committed to cyberspace, I’d suggest.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

"madman marz":zbhi66xu wrote:

Not the smartest eleven words ever committed to cyberspace, I’d suggest.

gc

Alright not quiet as villanous as the Second World War Tyrant, but on racing terms would make my top 3 everytime.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I backed Red Maurader in the National and was wishing someone else was riding him over the last 3 fences. Always reminded me of an accident waiting to happen.

Red Marauder can no more jump Grand National fences cleanly than a puffin can play the glockenspiel, but he had with him absolutely the right man to get him round the course on that incredible day of borderline unraceable conditions – one who had done all his home work on him for years as Norman Mason’s assistant-in-name-only, one who knew what jumping frailties the gelding possessed, and one who knew what mistakes not to repeat having put him on the floor at first Bechers the previous year.

In the most savage test of horse and jockey I can ever recall in my lifetime, I note that horseman Guest and horseman Murphy were the only two to coax their mounts home without mishap. Ergo some point or other I was making. :D

gc

Emerald
    • Total Posts 66

Would be good to have some characters again on the NH scene like Steve Smith Eccles and Francome were.

Timmy Murphy might be a good jockey but I’ve seen some very bad tempered moments usually taken out on the horse he’s been riding.

mutleyburton
    • Total Posts 8

NH – Ruby is class, always seem to judge the pace spot on, especially on hold up horses. Brennan getting back to his best

Flat – Ryan Moore doesnt get it wrong often. Spencer can go from genius to buffoon in half an hour. I’ve not seen anything as unstylish as Sanders since Kate Garraway on Strictly Come Dancing

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

For horsemanship, Francome had few equals.

In a finish, I would have no other than Anthony Peter McCoy.

Apart from McCoy, Ruby Walsh has to be my favourite NH jockey.

On the flat, Fallon, Murtagh and Ryan Moore get my vote.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

ahitchcott
    • Total Posts 60

my own favourites are ruby on the jumps and ryan moore on the flat

i cant stand a few but i dont like graham lee in particular on jumps as i always feel he thinks he is riding a superstar and tries to give them too much to do. on the flat my least favourite is graham gibbons who i just think is bad all round.

i actually read an article earlier that included this

"Incidentally you may be interested to know that the jockey (with 25 or more qualifiers) with best strike rate on favs is Sam Thomas with a magnificent 51.67%, the worst im afraid is Graham Gibbons with an abysmal 13.33% and only 6 winners from 45 horses starting as favourite!"

this just makes me dislike him even more!

royal falcon
    • Total Posts 15

I like Philip Robinson and Kerrin McEvoy on the flat, Graham Lee and Andrew Thornton over jumps. What does anyone think of Denis O’Regan? I thought the ride he gave Tidal Bay was excellent.

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Think his strike rate since joining Howard Johnson is 25% so he’s obviously had a good start to his career over here.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

…..and another new poster, I’m almost running out of welcomes.

Come on in, Royal Falcon. 8)

Colin

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.