The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jimbo’s Rare Birds

Home Forums Horse Racing Jimbo’s Rare Birds

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

This week Jim McGrath on Channel 4 Racing is going through a top twenty of equine achievements that we won’t see again in our lifetimes.

I haven’t been impressed with a couple of them, but I’ve had difficulty thinking of alternatives off the top of my head.

The only one is that we won’t see a horse attempt or win the English/British Triple Crown again.

What are your suggestions?

There doesn’t seem to be any NH achievements amongst Jimbo’s list, but come one, come all.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Montelado’s two Cheltenham Festival wins in a row. Now that the Bumper has moved, this seems unlikely ever to happen again.

Trickmeister
    Participant
    • Total Posts 96

I’ve not seen the segment so he may have covered this already but Dawn Run’s Champion Hurdle/Gold Cup double anyone????

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I’m sure Celestial Halo is capable of doing that. :wink:

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3329

We’ll certainly never see another 2-y-old match the number of wins in a season achieved by either Provideo or Spindrifter, as the race program that allowed them to achieve their feats has been altered beyond recognition.

Personally, I don’t expect to see one horse win the Middle Park, 2000 Gns, St James Palace, Sussex Stakes, QE2, Champion Stakes, Lockinge, Prince Of Wales, Eclipse and King George – but Brigadier Gerard did and he won some of those races twice as well.

I’d also be amazed if anything comes along to equal the handicap achievements of Sergeant Cecil’s treble in the Northumberland Plate, Ebor and Cesarewitch. Mind you, having backed him unsuccessfully in five of his six races prior to Newcastle, I was pretty amazed the first time round!

AP

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

I’ve missed a couple of the segments but presumably Golden Miller and Red Rum were in there from the jumping realm?

I was pretty amazed by Madame Jones’s running sixty odd times in 2001. Once every five or six days for a whole year!

As for achievements, Frankie’s through-the-card seven timer at Ascot will surely remain unequalled.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Quixall Crossett’s 103 runs without a win, will take some beating. Champagne Rossini is the horse that’s currently doing his best to overhaul him, although at 0 for 57 he still has a way to go.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Quixall Crossett’s 103 runs without a win, will take some beating. Champagne Rossini is the horse that’s currently doing his best to overhaul him, although at 0 for 57 he still has a way to go.

Zippy Chippy’s beaten that Cav – 140+ without a win in the US :wink:

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Wikipedia have Zippy as 0-100 IS, that might not be totally accurate though. Seems he is as big a legend over there as good old Quixall is on our side of the Atlantic. :)

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

judging by the last 5 years ago,will we ever see a derby winner win the king george again?

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

If we are introducing the human element how about Dickinson`s first five home in the Chelt Gold Cup.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Or Piggott on Royal Academy…..

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

How about the 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird. Can’t Keep a rider. In the US that Never happened before.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.